Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:08 AM

70 posts, read 68,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
This happens to me whenever I visit my family in Alaska because practically everyone is a hardcore conservative republican (besides Anchorage, it's more like 50/50 there).

It doesn't matter if you are a Democrat or Republican...

Simply say, okay... I will tell you exactly why you should vote for (Republican) and you make a case as to why that person should be elected. If you say every point that your Republican friend/colleague/family member believes, they will automatically shut up. And now you ask them, okay so you thought I was brainwashed, now you prove to me you aren't the one who is brainwashed here. Most of the time, actually 100% of the time in my case, they cannot argue for the opposite side, which means they are the ones who are brainwashed.

Just say "Left vs right is crap, pro- vs anti- is crap, politics are crap and I may vote for nobody or the lesser evil".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 08:57 AM

63,006 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
You are also brainwashed if you think that being pro-life and against the forcing of a church to pay for the morning after pill is "waging a war on women."
True, but then I am a pro-lifer and don't feel that denying women an abortion under most circumstances or being forced to paying for their birth control is "waging a war on women".

Old 12-27-2013, 09:03 AM

63,006 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The one libertarians get most of the time is: "See, now that's why I could never be a libertarian" and it's always related to some unnecessary function of the government that the liberal/conservative thinks will destroy the Earth if the government stops doing it.

The one thing I have learned is that politics is one of those areas where it is very common to see people launch a debate they are wildly unprepared for because they know little to nothing besides whatever rhetoric they are parroting, and have done little research of their own beyond that. Anyone who says the words "brainwashed" in a debate is basically waving a white flag because they cannot counter you on some legitimate point. The ad hominem, like any fallacy, is used when logic and facts are no longer on your side.

So being called brainwashed is equivalent to being declared winner of that particular argument. It's the adult discussion way of stomping your feet, and then crying "I am taking my ball and going home!"
So you don't believe that it is possible to be brainwashed by anyone? Kids learn from their parents, schools, etc. Isn't that a form of brainwashing unless you learn to seek out the truth for yourself?

Old 12-27-2013, 09:31 AM

13,979 posts, read 5,638,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So you don't believe that it is possible to be brainwashed by anyone? Kids learn from their parents, schools, etc. Isn't that a form of brainwashing unless you learn to seek out the truth for yourself?
All sorts of ways a person can arrive at a losing argument in a debate, and sure "brainwashing" is certainly one of them, but if you are the person leveling the ad hominem charge of brainwashed onto your debate opponent, then your argument cannot stand on its own logical fact basis or you are debating someone who simply will not admit or recognize that their argument has been defeated. In either case, the appearance of the ad hominem means real debate is over, and toddlers are arguing over who gets the biggest toy.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:34 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,683,872 times
Quote:
This happens to me whenever I visit my family in Alaska because practically everyone is a hardcore conservative republican (besides Anchorage, it's more like 50/50 there).

Simply say, okay... I will tell you exactly why you should vote for (Republican) and you make a case as to why that person should be elected. If you say every point that your Republican friend/colleague/family member believes, they will automatically shut up. And now you ask them, okay so you thought I was brainwashed, now you prove to me you aren't the one who is brainwashed here. Most of the time, actually 100% of the time in my case, they cannot argue for the opposite side, which means they are the ones who are brainwashed.
lol.

I'm going outside for some fresh air.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:39 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,346 times
If someone says you are brainwashed they A. Probably cannot be convinced, B. Are likely not in a listening mood. As such talking politics with them is useless. It is probably better to listen to them and ask them questions so you know how they think rather then trying to convince them.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:42 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,687,852 times
Quote:

Most of the knowledge of my relatives, in regards to politics or current events, does not go much beyond the simply catch phrases, bumper stickers and newspaper headlines. Even those who profess to adopt my political leanings are incapable of discussing politics for more then two or three minutes, because in that length of time they completely exhaust their knowledge and understanding of the issues.

There are a few relatives who I can talk politics with and have long detailed discussions, and they are all conservatives like me.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:51 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,687,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
If someone says you are brainwashed they A. Probably cannot be convinced, B. Are likely not in a listening mood. As such talking politics with them is useless. It is probably better to listen to them and ask them questions so you know how they think rather then trying to convince them.
It is embarrassing for me, when I am trying to have a discussion with someone who at first seems to be informed and has principled opinions, and through the course of a few minutes time, they reveal how shallow and unprincipled their knowledge and principles are.

Even if you have a discussion with someone with differing views from yours, you will often find that you agree on a great many things. Many times where you first thought you were at opposing ends of an issue, you are both very close, with only a few small disagreements, which only exist on the margins.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:01 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,413,716 times
the idea of people argueing over politics or politicians is pointless.

are you really trying to convince the other side of your pov? or do people just like to argue for the sake of argueing.

the thousands of threads here in this forum reflect real life... someone gives thier pov and then the rest is namecalling

people should just accept that you cant change grown folks minds and people think how they think

Old 12-27-2013, 10:19 AM

17,443 posts, read 9,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So quit allowing them to "draw you into the big debate", change the subject or walk away.
It really is not that complicated to not talk about politics.
It is your choice to continue in the conversation or walk away from it so don't blame them for your lack of ability to walk away.
^^^^
This!

Why would anyone want to bring Politics (or religion) into a social conversation? It's pretty much always a recipe for disaster. I always avoid it - it doesn't matter whether they are Dems, Libertarians or Republicans - I try to avoid the subject , make a quick light comment and then change the subject. If I'm in a group and can't do that -- I just listen. It's amazing what you can learn by just listening. Why open yourself (and others) to controversy over something that is likely to upset both yourself and others?

During the Thanksgiving Holiday, I had a house full for a week (12 people) - almost all of them were very Liberal (as opposed to Leftists) and were escapees from California. By just listening, I discovered that all but one had discovered that 'tax and spend' was not a very good idea, that regulations were killing the business of their grown children, that ObamaCare was a nightmare and for some reason they had become extremely anti-immigration policy.

I enjoyed listening, but didn't even bother to ask why the "change" ….. I think getting out of the California Faculty rooms and catching up with LIFE brought a sense of reality to their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies