Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 07:10 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Where are you going with this?
You would need to ask bluesjuke that question seeing I was commenting on his post.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Right up until the day you go out of business. You do understand that a business must turn a profit, right?
So you would be willing to pay employees below minimum wage to turn a profit? Sounds like your business is already failing if it can't even afford to pay employees minimum wage.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:19 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I bet you didn't file taxes on that income when you were in middle school.
People who make at or near the minimum wage get money back from the government. This is a red herring.
Quote:
Also, it is funny how much people are willing to pay cause they don't want to cut their own lawn, yet make such a big stink about having a big lawn.
I work 50-60 hours per week. I individually tutor four students (2 high school, 2 college), and I also do work at home. I live on a 1/4 acre, so I don't have a big yard. It's worth $40 per week for me to have one less thing to deal with in the summer, my landscaper is from my parish, and because they do such good work, I am happy to pay them well above even the minimum wage proposed of $15 per hour. Don't need to justify myself really, since it's my lawn and my freaking money, but sometimes paying money to have one less thing on the to-do list is a good thing.

I would think someone fighting for everyone to get a pay raise from the government would be happy someone like me pays around 4-5x the existing minimum wage for work done on or around his house, even to landscapers.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
So you would be willing to pay employees below minimum wage to turn a profit? Sounds like your business is already failing if it can't even afford to pay employees minimum wage.
I'd be willing to cut all costs, including labor, if that is what it took to remain profitable. Business needs profit like humans need oxygen. Don't get enough and you die. Simple as that. The purpose of any business is to create and maintain/grow profits for the owners. Period, the end. No business exists for long that has higher costs than revenue.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
People who make at or near the minimum wage get money back from the government. This is a red herring.

I work 50-60 hours per week. I individually tutor four students (2 high school, 2 college), and I also do work at home. I live on a 1/4 acre, so I don't have a big yard. It's worth $40 per week for me to have one less thing to deal with in the summer, my landscaper is from my parish, and because they do such good work, I am happy to pay them well above even the minimum wage proposed of $15 per hour. Don't need to justify myself really, since it's my lawn and my freaking money, but sometimes paying money to have one less thing on the to-do list is a good thing.

I would think someone fighting for everyone to get a pay raise from the government would be happy someone like me pays around 4-5x the existing minimum wage for work done on or around his house, even to landscapers.
I wonder if they claim that income you pay them.

Oh I am fine with someone who is willing to pay others a bunch of money to cut their lawn for them.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
You would need to ask bluesjuke that question seeing I was commenting on his post.
I was asking you.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I'd be willing to cut all costs, including labor, if that is what it took to remain profitable. Business needs profit like humans need oxygen. Don't get enough and you die. Simple as that. The purpose of any business is to create and maintain/grow profits for the owners. Period, the end. No business exists for long that has higher costs than revenue.
No one is arguing that. All I am saying is if you can't afford to pay people at least minimum wage, then you probably shouldn't have employees because then you would be running a bad business model that was destined to fail.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I was asking you.
Well then in that case I will let you know the moment bluesjuke responds to my comment.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
No one is arguing that. All I am saying is if you can't afford to pay people at least minimum wage, then you probably shouldn't have employees because then you would be running a bad business model that was destined to fail.
Nobody is arguing that. If the revenue model of a business is such that you can only offer wages that nobody will accept as compensation for work, then you clearly don't have a business that needs employees, or at least not as many as you think. This is the case for a lot of business, small, megacorp and all points in between. A lot of workers out there are simply not necessary, and are on a private sector welfare program that is jokingly referred to as employment. They are normally identified during downsizings and relocations offshore.

I don't hire anyone to do anything for less than a specific amount, which is typically hell and gone above the minimum wage, and I won't do work (under normal, non-life threatening circumstances anyway) for wages that aren't hell and gone above the minimum wage.

But all of this we are talking about is voluntary. As either employee or employer, I have wage standards. So do most people. Which is why arbitrary wage floors on a national, blanket scale are ridiculous. Most people either pay well or do the work themselves, unless it is a huge volume operation, and then the wage is lower but is augmented by benefits and OPPORTUNITY, which hamfisted minimum wage laws totally ignore.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:47 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Well then in that case I will let you know the moment bluesjuke responds to my comment.

Quote:
If you bought 40 items at Walmart, then you probably isn't worried about that extra $10.
That was not a question from you rather a comment.

1. If someone bought 40 items at Walmart and he doesn't care about the extra $10, it's fine to introduce inflation? You now admit raising the minimum wage is inflation? Inflation is a nasty game as nobody wins. Do I understand you correctly that you are willing to screw everybody from the poor to the rich by introducing inflation just to feel good?

2. If someone bought 40 items at Walmart, why should or would he not care about the extra $10? When he buys the same 40 items to feed his family every week and he's on a strict budge, he will for damn sure notice that $10 increase! Why is it up to you to tell us we should or should not care about the price increase? But again, it's ok to screw him, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies