Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think if a public person announces to the media they are gay or lesbian?
It would make no difference to me and not impact my opinion of the celebrity 38 40.43%
I would think more of them because they are brave and honest 10 10.64%
I would be less likely to respect and watch them on TV or in the movies 23 24.47%
Because I support their rights to a homosexual lifestyle, this questionaire does not apply to me 23 24.47%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:51 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,415,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
You have a very foolish wish/hope. That day will never happen. Decent, moral people will always stand against sin.
Decent moral people are exposing the lies and vilifying propaganda of the anti-gay crusaders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 10:45 PM

22,687 posts, read 24,697,193 times
Attention seekers...............I do not care who you are boinkying!!!!!!!!

Old 01-30-2014, 01:52 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,999,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Why is it that when a gay man or lesbian thanks their partner, it is expressing who they have sex with, yet a straight man or woman thanks their wife or husband and it is not? People just have an issue with gays or lesbians being out of the closet, that is their hang ups, not the gays and lesbians. If someone sees my wedding ring, they ask if I am married, am I supposed to lie and say no, or that I have a wife and not a husband? Saying that my spouse is male, does not tell everyone that we have sex
I know a gay couple that has been together long term and they don't have sex.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:56 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,999,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

And why do people define themselves by their sexual preference?
I wonder why too that way. Even in today society in 2014 I find people that define themselves by sexual preference to be strange.

Plus I don't understand why gays and lesbians out there need to come out to everyone. Not everyone needs to know, except for the very ones most affected by it. Saying your gay to everyone is similar to saying to everyone (If you are a straight male and into blonde woman) stating you are into blonde women.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:46 AM

408 posts, read 608,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I wonder why too that way. Even in today society in 2014 I find people that define themselves by sexual preference to be strange.

Plus I don't understand why gays and lesbians out there need to come out to everyone. Not everyone needs to know, except for the very ones most affected by it. Saying your gay to everyone is similar to saying to everyone (If you are a straight male and into blonde woman) stating you are into blonde women.
Its funny, a gay person has never come out to me. Does this happen to you frequently with strangers?

The gay people I've met didn't hide the fact, nor did they explicitly state it. Is that ok for you?

Seriously, which gays and lesbians are you referring to?

Old 01-30-2014, 03:30 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,415,464 times
Quote:

So if a new work colleague says to a lesbian who is in a long term relationship with her female partner:

"Are you married or have a boyfriend? What's his name?"

Should she:

1. Lie and pretend she is single or that her partner is a man.
2. Be rude and just ignore the question or say 'none of your business'.
3. Say "My partner's name is Susan".

That is the most common way someone 'comes out' - when someone asks them if they are married or have a boyfriend/girlfriend/family etc and they mention their partner's name. How is this 'defining themselves by their sexual preference' any more than it would be for a straight person to mention their partner's name?

Old 01-30-2014, 08:30 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,456,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
So if a new work colleague says to a lesbian who is in a long term relationship with her female partner:

"Are you married or have a boyfriend? What's his name?"

Should she:

1. Lie and pretend she is single or that her partner is a man.
2. Be rude and just ignore the question or say 'none of your business'.
3. Say "My partner's name is Susan".

That is the most common way someone 'comes out' - when someone asks them if they are married or have a boyfriend/girlfriend/family etc and they mention their partner's name. How is this 'defining themselves by their sexual preference' any more than it would be for a straight person to mention their partner's name?

Exactly. It's boiled down to "heterosexual privilege," which I do not use in any way to attack.

Straight people are so used to straight imagery, topics, depictions, that they don't or cannot fathom how "in your face" their sexuality is to someone who is not like them.

EVERYTHING revolves around sexuality at its core. If you're a "family man," the image is that you have a wife and kids. If you're a "mom" typically people will just assume you're a straight woman with child(ren).

The pervasive in your face sex, heterosexual relationships on TVS and movies, etc. means that people will actually notice and pay more attention to things that are not what is normally expected or seen or common place (in most places in the country with notable exceptions, of course).

It's just like interracial marriage. MOST couples are still same-race. However, people will more readily pick out and notice an interracial couple in a sea of same-race couples, especially if they have some issue with it positive or negative.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:40 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,854,777 times
I could care less. I didn't care to hear about Bill Clinton's shenanigans and he is straight. I really don't care to hear about a gay person's sex life either.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:46 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,267,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
If you are morally against homosexuality you don't want kids who think they are gay looking up to someone who has a gay lifestyle and that morality.
Kids KNOW they are gay.

And I pity every single LGBT kid who is being raised by ignorant, backwards parents or grandparents who don't understand that.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:02 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,514,389 times
Quote:
I know a gay couple that has been together long term and they don't have sex.
My spouse and I have been together for 35 years now and he is 15 years my senior and we no longer have sex. I know many straight couples that no longer have sex, but stay married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies