Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:33 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,940,833 times

Advertisements

Now Im just speculating....But I can't see the Democrats allowing any GOP president to become a dictator. Is the GOP incapable of doing the same?

You all make the GOP sound like a bunch of spineless wimps bending at the will of BO. Man what every happen to the party of Heston, The Duke, and the Gipper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:33 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Don't dictators always rise up when a country has a dysfunctional government? At this point some sort of revolution seems inevitable if we're to maintain any semblance of democracy.
The dysfunction is in the fact that the Republicans are engaged in an internecine squabble and are unable to attend to their constitutional duties and the needs of the American people. A small minority of right wing extremists bankrolled by a handful of wealthy persons and corporations aided by an idiotic Supreme Court ruling have rendered half of the Congress incapable of doing anything but fighting among themselves and ignoring their duties in hopes of re-election. Obama must step in and do what little he can in this situation.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The dysfunction is in the fact that the Republicans are engaged in an internecine squabble and are unable to attend to their constitutional duties and the needs of the American people. A small minority of right wing extremists bankrolled by a handful of wealthy persons and corporations aided by an idiotic Supreme Court ruling have rendered half of the Congress incapable of doing anything but fighting among themselves and ignoring their duties in hopes of re-election. Obama must step in and do what little he can in this situation.
So remove the Republicans and get rid of the Supreme Court and let Obama do what he wants ?

How does a "small minority of rw extremists" get to rule Congress with an iron fist ?

The Senate is Dem majority.

The House..well you guys had it for 2 years and Americans didn't like what you did when you had power so they voted you out.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
I hope President Obama circumvents Congress and seriously limits the powers of the U.S. Intelligence Agencies (i.e. the NSA). It's obvious that Senator Dianne Feinstein and Representative Mike Rogers haven't been providing meaningful oversight.
Its Obama who has controlled these agency; directly part of the administration responsibilities. The head of both agencies work for the president as does secretary of state. Its been the administration that defended since made public the actions they have taken and congress that has had the hearings . Its clear the administration has not keep control ;so its time for congress to step in as they did in past with church commission. The Feinstein announcement on finding make that clear even many democrats agree.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:52 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,088,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Since I live in North Carolina, a State subjugated by the money and will of Art Pope, I can't disagree with you.

The running joke nowadays is that the United States has the best Congress that money can buy.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
I hope President Obama circumvents Congress and seriously limits the powers of the U.S. Intelligence Agencies (i.e. the NSA). It's obvious that Senator Dianne Feinstein and Representative Mike Rogers haven't been providing meaningful oversight.
LOL at that one. The President didn't even ask Congress to do anything. He's doing it himself with the panel he appointed last year.
The President's panel has recommendations to tighten up security in the NSA so that there is no more leaking.
The WH has filed a motion in the recent court case asking the judge to "freeze" the release of any documents until the case has gone through the appeals court (which means buried for years in the system like the AT&T case).

Cass Sunstein was appointed to the panel and here is what he said:

Obama's NSA review board explains its reform recommendations - CBS News
"Maintaining the ability of the intelligence community to do what it needs to do" was a priority for the group, said Cass Sunstein, a Harvard Law School professor who served on the panel. "Not one of the 46 recommendations in our report would, in our view, compromise and jeopardize that ability in any way."

Old 01-16-2014, 09:54 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So remove the Republicans and get rid of the Supreme Court and let Obama do what he wants ?

How does a "small minority of rw extremists" get to rule Congress with an iron fist ?

The Senate is Dem majority.

The House..well you guys had it for 2 years and Americans didn't like what you did when you had power so they voted you out.
Who is you? I'm no Dem. Always been an Indie and always will be. Just because I have no use for rightie wingnuts and tea party whackos does not make me a Dem or a leftist or anything else you all like to label anyone who is not with you behind the curtain, stage right. I would toss my Dem rep (Grijalva) out tomorrow if I had the chance (and the Pubs could manage to put up a candidate who was not some ultra-right ideologue). There is no longer any choice as far as those of us in the middle are concerned. The real Republican party and bipartisan cooperation are no more. If Obama can do something to move the country forward in spite of the partisanship, I am all for it.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:58 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Another lie pushed by the right. He was never a "guest lecturer" and the title he did hold of "Senior lecturer" is a professor's position. Here is what the University of Chicago says on their web site:

This statement has been available to anybody smart or honest enough to look for it for more than five years.

What's your excuse?

Excuse for what? He is a bum and not qualified to teach anything. He was a radical in college should not have been in a position of authority over legitimate students.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:01 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Excuse for what? He is a bum and not qualified to teach anything. He was a radical in college should not have been in a position of authority over legitimate students.
How so? Have anything that backs this claim up?

Old 01-16-2014, 10:05 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How so? Have anything that backs this claim up?

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Obama doesn't hide and refuse to allow any of his academic recordsto be released because they are GOOD. "Mr. Obama has acknowledgedbenefiting from affirmative action in the past" (Obama's Years at Columbia Are a Mystery - September 2, 2008 - The NewYork Sun), which is the understatement of the century.

His poor academic achievement in Columbia did not earn him even a minor"*** laude" with his degree, which was in the super-easy program ofpolitical science. He was nowhere near the top of his class. His first 2 yearsof college was at Occidental College in Los Angeles, which was before the timeof his self-described "buckling down following a troubledadolescence"--and of course he won't be releasing those grades either.

He didn't academically qualify even to get into Harvard, but a radical Muslimnamed Khalid Al-Mansour helped him gain acceptance into Harvard Law by raisingmoney and pulling strings at Harvard. Al-Mandour was a key adviser of a Saudibillionaire who had mentored the founding members of the Black Panthers (
How Obama got into Harvard - Barack Obama - Zimbio). If you think thereis no affirmative action in Harvard, you have never been to Boston.

As to President the Harvard Law Review, it is selected by a vote on popularity.His name appears on NO scholarship, although most HLR Presidents publish atleast 2 papers in it. The Review published under his watch "is theleast-cited volume of the Harvard Law Review in the last 20 years" (inother words, poorly done). The other volumes published in the last 20 yearswere cited "a rate 54% higher than the citation rate for Obama’svolume." (the full study results can be found on
VDARE.com: Blog Articles » How Good Was Obama At Running The Harvard LawReview?).

As to "Top of his class," there is no documentation of this anywhere(and how could there be, with Obama refusing to release any academicinformation?). Apparently it is a misunderstanding of an LA Times article by aBy Tammerlin Drummon (who also happens to be African-American), who wrote:"He set his sights on Harvard Law School, where he quickly distinguished himselfas a top student." And if you think an African-American staffwriter will not effusively compliment a "successful" African-Americanman in writing, guess again. I have also heard some defend the title because bydefinition, the President of the Harvard Law Review must be at the top of hisclass. Again, wrong, when affirmative action is at play.

I do believe that there are many African-Americans who excel in college and lawschool and would be good Presidents. However, this guy's decision-making as Presidentis totally inconsistent with intelligence, and inconsistent with the academicsuccess he claims and most people think he has.

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies