Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 11:52 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times

Advertisements

If you had the sperm donor I had you would not believe any of that "professional" nonsense.

I will take my single Mother (after she finally divorced him) any day over what I had growing up (before she divorced him).

Old 01-28-2014, 11:53 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
So maybe it's time to revisit the rules that make married, cohabitating parents ineligible for welfare.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:54 AM

31,035 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
No, they actually don't "do just fine in raising kids." There are many, many statistics to bear this out. Read up.
Prison statistics seem to indicate that most are products of single parents, but I would imagine that if you took poverty into account it would sway the statistics.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:03 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
So maybe it's time to revisit the rules that make married, cohabitating parents ineligible for welfare.
What a can of worms that is. Many are against gay couples marrying which would make a households income completely different than what it is now. Many of the same want welfare reformed.

It's quite complicated.......

A mother with low income can get all sorts of government benefits because she only lives with her boyfriend making $45k a year.

Same with the lesbian couple. At least if marriage was available for all some would do that. What do we do about those gaming the system by not getting married?

Old 01-28-2014, 12:08 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I don't think you can take a problem with that many variables, pick one you like to support your personal beliefs, and declare that the correlation equals causation.

It's really not very scientific of you.

I've become so very skeptical of "studies" that report "statistics"...it's like all the stuff you can read about food. Studies show that almost all cancer patients drank milk in their lives, so milk causes cancer! No. Not really. They also did lots of other things.

I do however think that it is optimal, generally, for children to live in homes where there is a loving two parent couple to demonstrate cooperation, compromise, problem solving, social skills, and give them faith in the concept of romantic love and family. My instincts tell me that it's for the best if the original configuration of the parental structure not undergo any upheavals except in cases where it can't be reasonably avoided. I do feel that it's good for the kids if parents do whatever they can to make it work...and I frown on overly selfish, dramatic, or unfaithful adults who choose a little gratification over what's best for their kids.

But does that remotely mean that kids in other situations can't make it to healthy, productive adulthood? No.

In fact I also think that in some cases, a little hardship can be good for a kid's character.

In other words...it's complicated.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:12 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What a can of worms that is. Many are against gay couples marrying which would make a households income completely different than what it is now. Many of the same want welfare reformed.

It's quite complicated.......

A mother with low income can get all sorts of government benefits because she only lives with her boyfriend making $45k a year.

Same with the lesbian couple. At least if marriage was available for all some would do that. What do we do about those gaming the system by not getting married?
Yep. I know quite a few couples, gay and straight alike, who have decided not to get married, because doing so would jeopardize the benefits, e.g. SSDI, college grants, "woman-owned business" status, etc., enjoyed by one of the partners.

You'd think the conservative "welfare reform" crowd would favor MANDATORY marriage -- with consequent loss of benefits for the 'poorer' partner -- for gay couples in such cases, but that of course is the exact opposite of what they want.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:24 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Yep. I know quite a few couples, gay and straight alike, who have decided not to get married, because doing so would jeopardize the benefits, e.g. SSDI, college grants, "woman-owned business" status, etc., enjoyed by one of the partners.

You'd think the conservative "welfare reform" crowd would favor MANDATORY marriage -- with consequent loss of benefits for the 'poorer' partner -- for gay couples in such cases, but that of course is the exact opposite of what they want.
This is what I've been saying and thinking! We are in this situation. We can't get married in the state of Florida and one us is able to benefit due to low income. Of course I would prefer to marry her for various reasons, but right now, we do what we can with what we have.

If these conservatives only thought about it! Two lesbians can live together. One gives birth to a child, stays home and goes on welfare as a single mom, no income, or small income. Food stamps, cash assistance, free insurance and the list goes on. The other makes $100K! Since they can't get married in some states, it's very easy to take advantage like this.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:27 PM

149 posts, read 100,457 times
I don't see what this has to do with gays, but as a black man I can say this issue is killing the community....

Old 01-28-2014, 12:51 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseme View Post
I don't see what this has to do with gays, but as a black man I can say this issue is killing the community....
There's some intersting research on that. Although it mostly focuses on income instead or race, but the two are hardly separable in this context

Romance in the inner city typically proceeds quickly. Just six or seven months after they first begin “kicking it,” most of these couples “come up pregnant.” Usually neither he nor she explicitly plans to have a baby, but neither of them does much to avoid pregnancy, at least not for long. Inner-city youth often view condoms as a method of disease prevention, not contraception. They believe that ongoing condom use says you don’t trust your partner to be faithful, so as soon as there is a kernel of trust, the condom stays in the drawer—a ritual marking the transition to a more serious relationship.

Pretty soon, the women are skipping doses of the pill or letting the patch or other forms of contraception lapse. Why? In these communities, motherhood often exerts a strong pull on young women’s hearts and minds and weakens their motivation to avoid pregnancy. Being a mom serves as the chief source of meaning and identity in neighborhoods where significant upward mobility is rare. She realizes that her circumstances aren’t ideal, so she doesn’t explicitly “plan” to get pregnant. But she’ll readily admit that it wasn’t exactly an accident either. She’ll say she knew full well where unprotected sex would lead.

I know OP was trying to make some bigoted point about gay marriage, but the one you've raised is a very real issue.

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 01-28-2014 at 01:02 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 12:56 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
eventually we will have the GOP saying that any parents who split, or if a parent dies, or if they don't represent both sexes.....we will have to take the children, and place them in 2 parent families with male and female role models.

Ahhh yes the party of small govt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies