Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 07:16 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Please post your link that explains how impairment from marijuana can be objectively measured on the scene. We have a breathalyzer for alcohol. What do we have for marijuana? I have never heard of such a device and am very curious as to how it works.

I'm asking a legitimate question here. I have not heard of an objective field sobriety test for marijuana. Without some kind of objective test we would be left having to accept the opinion of the officer on the scene who would base his decision on a subjective evaluation and we all know that will not fly.

I'm really interested in reading about an objective test here. I've never heard of one. Given that marijuana impairs ability to drive long after the high wears off, I'm wondering what is measured and how the measurement is made on the scene. The only tests I've ever read about are blood tests and urine tests but you don't get results that tell you how impaired someone is. You only get a positive for use and it could have been days ago.
I already posted a link to that information, so you either have me on ignore or missed that post... Google it, there were plenty of sources to choose from! (just Google "marijuana breathalyzer")

Old 02-02-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
I agree with your post, but you got to understand that the Pro Pot Crowd will say any thing just because they have a addition problem on some level and tired of the real threat of being prosecuted by law enforcement.

Most working adults with real jobs do not partake Pot or never mind feel the need for a Crown and Coke on a daily basis. There is enough problems and we do need the long term issues of pot.

A dumb down uncaring America, I do think so!
Actually, I'm quite good at math - especially addition, lol. And before you go calling people dumb, you might want to get someone with a better grasp of the language to proof-read your posts... half of these sentences have errors, and you even said we do need pot! Irony.

And you can add me to the long list of working adults who DO smoke pot regularly, just never before or during my work hours. Somehow I still manage just fine, in fact I recently got a promotion and THREE raises. What do you do for a living, and do you earn a good salary?

Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
I say we decriminalize all drugs, but legalize none of them. Let's face it, if weed was sold at convenient stores, the number of stoners in this country would literally double because people that wouldn't normally try it, would try it. The problem with weed is that unlike booze one can smoke it all day long and still hold a job. I used to smoke for years, and I can't think of more than a few fellow smokers including myself that didn't regularly blaze at work, while driving, or any other time that one should not be impaired. They say that weed isn't as addictive as alcohol, but I don't see it. Most people I know that still smoke weed are people that habitually smoke it; whereas, most people I know that drink are social to moderate drinkers. I do know quite a few people with drinking problems, but it's not the norm, like it is with the people I know that still smoke.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure I'll get blasted by some potheads for calling it like it is, but it's human nature to defend our actions. It's no different than people claiming that their speeding doesn't cause accidents or that their pit bulls are't any more dangerous than other dog breeds.

Denial, it's not just a river in Egypt kids
You say we're in denial and that you're just "telling the truth," but the DECADES of legal medical (and now decriminalized) marijuana here in California prove you wrong - as do I personally, but my singular experiences don't count for as much. They basically do sell it in stores here (you just need a script, which anyone can get for $50), and AFAIK the overall usage hasn't increased noticeably. I still know many people who haven't tried it, and the only people I know with "pot cards" already smoked before getting them. So your paranoia is unfounded, and I'd suggest taking a trip here if you doubt me.

P.S. I have never in my adult life, and I repeat NEVER, gone to work high. I'm insulted you would even suggest that, as most mature smokers have more self-control than you seem to believe... and while marijuana can be psychologically addictive for some, there is no physical addiction like you'd see in cigarettes and alcohol. But those are legal? Makes sense.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:28 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You can grow up to five plants, and the initial intent was to sell small amounts out of home grown plants, but of course it did not work out that way. Unintended consequences, which is exactly what US will also experience. Holland government said more than just that they would not prosecute, they said you can sell it if you applied for a government license. It is essentially legal, which sets Holland apart from other EU countries which have simply decriminalized pot.
Your information, as has been pointed out numerous times, is wrong. It is illegal to cultivate marijuana in the Netherlands. It is a tolerated activity, but the government can at any time stop tolerating it. The same goes for possession. While the Netherlands has a non-enforcement policy, it is still technically illegal to possess or cultivate marijuana in the Netherlands. That non-enforcement policy is about as valuable as the paper it is written on, as the government could change it tomorrow. Considering that the government itself apparently has no clue what the drug laws are, it's no surprise that people from elsewhere would be confused by them.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:38 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
That non-enforcement policy is about as valuable as the paper it is written on, as the government could change it tomorrow.
Any country can change any law tomorrow. I am telling you what their intentions and dreams were in 1970s when they argued for those changes, and how wrong they were in every aspect, and the Americans making the same argument today are wrong just like the Dutch were.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:06 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Any country can change any law tomorrow. I am telling you what their intentions and dreams were in 1970s when they argued for those changes, and how wrong they were in every aspect, and the Americans making the same argument today are wrong just like the Dutch were.
The implementation of the Dutch policies has next to nothing in common with the implementation of the policies of Colorado and Washington. The only commonality is the word "marijuana." Your argument is similar to leftists arguing that the U.S. should have the same gun laws as European nations.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:11 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Most use alcohol, tobacco, pills, caffeine, etc before cannabis. "Marijuana" (foreign slang) isn't as harmful as alcohol. 0 deaths in over 1 billion users since our earliest recorded history. Please see Granny Storm Crow's list for about 1,200 studies not biased by money.

You know rehab clinics that want to make billions treating fake or non-fatal addictions are not people that tell the truth or care about others.
Back in the 1990s (possibly earlier), news reporter George Putnam was in a room with former drug addicts asking questions and gathering data. He said it took until the 40th person who said he did not start by using marijuana.

Also, this quote:

"Every time we pick up a kid who's dropping acid, 9 times out of 10, he's holding marijuana. I judge weed by the company it keeps."

- Joe Friday, Dragnet

Old 02-02-2014, 08:14 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Post valid links which specifically attribute these issues to marijuana use, then. So far, you've tried to use sources which clearly state that the results are inconclusive as your "proof".
As I said, any links/proof I post won't be accepted by the pro-mind-altering drug people.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:35 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Back in the 1990s (possibly earlier), news reporter George Putnam was in a room with former drug addicts asking questions and gathering data. He said it took until the 40th person who said he did not start by using marijuana.

Also, this quote:

"Every time we pick up a kid who's dropping acid, 9 times out of 10, he's holding marijuana. I judge weed by the company it keeps."

- Joe Friday, Dragnet
Bull crap...I'll bet every one of them started with the gate way drug called sugar.....Pot is no more a gate way drug than milk is...I know lots of people that use pot, but only one has become addicted to a harder drug...That drug was alcohol.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
My parents went even further... they discouraged both alcohol and drug use. They never said "at least it's better than liquor." However, they didn't really need to tell me... I had wisdom beyond my years and I never was interested in trying either alcohol or drugs. And, as mentioned before, it was probably the best decision I have made in my life.
My parents discouraged the use of all substances too, they just gave me the honest answers when I asked for more information. I was very wise beyond my years too (was living on my own by 17), but always had a curious nature which led me to TRY things... instead of merely taking anyone's word on it, I've always been the type who'd rather find out for myself.

Over the years I tried some very stupid things, mind you, but always came out the other side alive - and in some cases more enlightened. Now that I'm an old fuddy duddy librarian, I simply smoke a little when I get home at night. I'm no better or worse than your average American who drinks a beer after work, especially since I am not breaking any laws with my pot smoking. So what's it to you? I asked what makes it "wrong" for someone like me to use the stuff, legally, and it doesn't look like you answered. Care to take a stab at it? I'll wait.

Quote:
I don't really expect that to happen. Not with the decay of modern society and glorified drug use.
Then one would think you'd support legalization, since it only removes the criminal aspect and underground sales. If you acknowledge people will do and have been doing it anyway, why would you want to continue wasting our nation's money & time criminalizing people who aren't even hurting anyone? Make the cartels the only criminals, and let the states reap the benefits instead. Simple as that, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies