Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 12:12 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times

Advertisements

Do you really believe that?

Old 02-04-2014, 12:32 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Name calling is always expected from the ignorant...doesn't bother me though.
Not ALL doctors say it isn't good, only someone with a "hazy view of life" would think so.
My legitimate doctor (from Kaiser) was the first to suggest I try medical marijuana... he apologized for not being able to prescribe it himself, due to Kaiser's policies, but recommended I find a "pot doctor" asap. We tried the standard meds, and they either gave me allergic reactions or heart palpitations & vertigo. Yeah, but those drugs are a-ok with the prohibition crowd?

Old 02-04-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Do you really believe that?
It's true, whether you choose to believe it or not... they've been saying that (and studying it) for YEARS now. Where have you been?

Cannabis is now considered a treatment for asthma, as a matter of fact. It opens/clears the lungs, or something like that, especially if you smoke it out of a vaporizer or glass pipe. I have asthma myself, but it's hard for me to judge the effects since I (very stupidly) still smoke cigarettes.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:38 AM

297 posts, read 476,339 times
Default GATEWAY DRUG: ALCOHOL not Cannabis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
This is a simple review, the main intention is to prove to you, the reader, that a potential legalization of Marijuana at the federal level would be a disaster and a terrible idea.

Let's begin with a fair analysis. Marijuana has been known for years as a "gateway drug"..... But can we live with the real damage to our country?
Get your FACTS right.

ALCOHOL is the "Gateway Drug" and so are CIGARETTES.

Quit putting out that same old bullsh*t lie. Whether or not you are for or against Cannabis.

As for "damage" to the country.... Even Einstein has said that the REAL threat to this country is PROHIBITION. (of ANYTHING).

Old 02-04-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
When prohibition was repealed, for the most part, those gangs lost their entire alcohol market because no one wanted to buy sketchy booze from some underground dealer when they could pop into the liquor store and get it legally, regulated, entirely above-board. Given the opportunity, a.) Most people want safe, regulated product, and b.) Most people prefer to abide by the law, if it's a choice between getting what they want legally or illegally, they will choose the legal way if it is available.

Hence, people buying tons of dope from the legal shops here in CO even though it costs more than the Mexican street stuff probably does. And if it is convenient for a person to buy from a shop, they will probably never buy it off the street. If they can grow it themselves, so much the better.

I've been a legal medical user for about 10 years now, and cannot remember the last time I bought it "on the streets" - maybe once or twice from a friend, but usually one who also has a medical card (so it's kinda sorta legal if the quantity is small enough). Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I passed a dealer on the street, even on Haight! Used to not be able to walk five steps without hearing "greenbud?" and now I'd probably have to search hard for them. Hmmm.

P.S. I'd grow my own if I could, but lack the space and gardening abilities. I have literally killed a cactus, lol.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
You may have a point if that 12-year-old was the only person who ever got addicted to marijuana. But he isn't... just the opposite. Many (too many) have.
How many? Numbers, please... and since we're only discussing ADULTS being allowed to use legally, I'd especially like to see how many addicts started post-adolescence.

Regardless, I really couldn't care less even if it IS the most addictive drug on the planet (which it isn't). I still think adults should be free to use whatever they want, whether it is "harmful" or not. Trust me, if they came after something you liked that wasn't 100% healthy, you would begin to understand our position. It's not anyone's job but mine to control how I spend my time, money, and health. Period, end of story.

Quote:
Where do you get the "9% addiction rate" from? And "0% death rate?" You pro mind-altering drug people are really something! Deny, deny, deny!
I already posted those links, and you even responded directly to them... so don't play dumb & blind now. Speaking of denial, I think the 9% number was actually from one of your own links. Haha.

Quote:
They hear only what they want to hear. Everything else is "propaganda" and "biased."
Pot, meet kettle. I literally posted a link from the CDC, and you still refused to acknowledge it. And didn't someone else post a link, to which you replied "oh, a link! Well that proves everything!" If you won't take our sources seriously, don't whine if yours are questioned too (particularly when you use sources like Reader's Digest and FOX News).

Although, for the record, I don't think I have personally challenged any of your sourced information... I just don't care much, since your points like "some people get addicted" are true but irrelevant. Since when does that pass for a good reason to ban something?

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-04-2014 at 02:04 AM..

Old 02-04-2014, 01:46 AM

Fleet: Since you STILL haven't directly addressed my questions, I'll post them again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Btw, Fleet, I'm still waiting for you to show us where I said I need drugs to be happy... also still waiting on your response to my other question, regarding what makes it "wrong" or "bad" for someone like me to use.
Nothing you've said yet has explained why a responsible working adult shouldn't be allowed to smoke (especially where it's legal), nor have you shown us where I ever said I need it to be happy. If you can't even answer these two simple questions, I think any continued discussion would be futile.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Psychosis?
Extremely rare, and (from what I've read) generally only happens when the patient had a pre-existing mental health disorder. C'mon now, there are MILLIONS of people who have smoked pot... wouldn't it be obvious if the stuff made people insane? Seriously, I have to wonder how you get through life.

Quote:
COPD? Emphysema?
Also rare, and only if the user is smoking like 10 joints a day... and with the rising popularity of vaporizing and/or eating the product, these numbers will be dropping even more. Besides, cigarettes most definitely cause these things, but I haven't heard you say they should be illegal.

Quote:
Cancer?
See above, and cannabis is also used to TREAT cancer. I have personally known cancer patients who used it, and found a much greater quality of life as a result. A few of them have since passed away, but I'm glad they weren't as uncomfortable as they could have been in the end... in one case it actually kept him alive longer, since he was suffering from wasting & complete loss of appetite during his treatments (unless he smoked pot).

Bottom line, however, is that something being "bad for you" is still not reason enough to make it illegal. If that were true, we'd have barely anything left! And unless you think all other potentially harmful substances should be illegal, you are cherry-picking your targets - aiming for one of the least harmful ones, nonetheless. Face it, you have no logical leg to stand on here.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:53 AM

878 posts, read 942,438 times
I'm laughing at this thread, and I'm so friggin' high! I mean seriously baked.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:57 AM

878 posts, read 942,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
This is a simple review, the main intention is to prove to you, the reader, that a potential legalization of Marijuana at the federal level would be a disaster and a terrible idea.

Let's begin with a fair analysis. Marijuana has been known for years as a "gateway drug" but despite if this age old common knowledge, in support of the product, we all know that it has never killed or hurt anyone, especially in comparison with alcohol abuse. Also, as a quick disclosure before any starts off in a typical cubicle rant, there is nothing wrong with Marijuana itself as a medication or as a means for government taxation.

But the main fact and focus of this discussion is that if marijuana was legalized everywhere then many users will attribute to the "abuse of the system".

For example, assuming marijuana was legal everywhere, the unemployment rate would certainly climb to the highest numbers ever seen. Let's be real folks, many corporations would suffer from the workforce being "high all the time" and likely abusing the many of the corporate provided privileges, such as healthcare insurance, paid time off, sick time, breaks, lunch, etc.

Marijuana legalization will definitely affect US productivity and it will hurt corporations.

Sure it feels good to get high, it helps you get rid of stress and pain. But can we live with the real damage to our country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies