Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 01:21 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Minimum wage is not the primary driver of inflation, as inflation is always and everywhere a function of the money supply in a given economy. Don't take my word for it, just ask any economic textbook printed in the last 100 years.

Why is the goalpost moving though? I thought the story was "minimum wage isn't keeping up with inflation" and the minute I use the BLS to prove that minimum wage far exceeds inflation, the story now is that minimum wage drives inflation? Then why hasn't there been 75% higher inflation since 1938 to reflect that minimum wage is 75% higher than inflation, given that you now say minimum wage drives inflation?

No matter which one of your stories I go with, the actual numbers say you're wrong.

If the story is that minimum wage drives inflation, then the amount of actual inflation vs the inflation of the minimum wage doesn't add up properly.

If the story is that minimum wage isn't keeping up with inflation, then the already proven point that minimum wage is 75% higher than what inflation would predict means that story doesn't add up properly.

Is there another story you'd like to try, that might actually work with the facts? I mean, so far neither of the two you've tried have mathematically worked, so maybe invent a new one and we'll see how far that one gets before facts wreck it.
I guess we disagree on which era we should look at for minimum wage adjustments.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:29 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Here is the difference between your point and my point. You pick a certain data point that shows your point of few in the best light, I pick the intellectually honest data point (the beginning) to prove my point.
The most intellectually honest point is 1/76'th of the total program? At the start as they were trying to figure out what it should be?
This of course is the exact opposite of intellectually honest.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:31 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What? So you have some weird tangent moment? Seriously, you are losing grip on reality. Who is talking about chopping people's heads off?? That is just sick minded of you.
You have problem with reading comprehension.

You haven't provided any valid reason except for "XYZ country is doing it."

Well, just because someone is doing it, it doesn't mean we need to do it. A lot of countries do stupid stuff, are we going to follow suit? For example, other countries are chopping people's head off, are we going to do that too?

Old 02-04-2014, 01:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
But that is the Utopian ideal for egalitarian leftists, get the entire country all treading water with their noses just above the surface of the water.
That has been the ideal for many a year.
Those that had money were enticed to spend it and they did in droves.

Early retirement and not counting on SS was my goal right at the start of my career.
In 2009 when my company was doing their quarterly mass layoffs I decided to go Galt and take early retirement. I was lucky in that I could make that choice.
None of the guys I worked with that last year are at the company anymore.
The last 2 got layed off last year.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You have problem with reading comprehension.

You haven't provided any valid reason except for "XYZ country is doing it."

Well, just because someone is doing it, it doesn't mean we need to do it. A lot of countries do stupid stuff, are we going to follow suit? For example, other countries are chopping people's head off, are we going to do that too?
I have provided you with a valid reason and you chose to ignore it, so that really isn't my problem because I really don't care what you do and do not believe.

The US doesn't need to be like the third world country you ran from, that I do agree with you on.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
I guess we disagree on which era we should look at for minimum wage adjustments.
So pick 2009 and go from there.
Nobody was crying in 2009 that it wasn't enough.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:42 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
I have provided you with a valid reason and you chose to ignore it, so that really isn't my problem because I really don't care what you do and do not believe.

The US doesn't need to be like the third world country you ran from, that I do agree with you on.
So your valid reason is "XYZ country is doing it?"

Let's assume that's valid but no country is doing it.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:44 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So pick 2009 and go from there.
Nobody was crying in 2009 that it wasn't enough.
everyone was crying it wasnt enough. But they figured "hey we're in a MASSIVE recession, so everyones hurting, this is just our part of the pain". Then of course we started a recovery, that all went to the top 1%, and everyone now is going "uhmmmm...wait...what about us?"

Old 02-04-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So your valid reason is "XYZ country is doing it?"

Let's assume that's valid but no country is doing it.
Sure....

Old 02-04-2014, 01:49 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,829,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
everyone was crying it wasnt enough. But they figured "hey we're in a MASSIVE recession, so everyones hurting, this is just our part of the pain". Then of course we started a recovery, that all went to the top 1%, and everyone now is going "uhmmmm...wait...what about us?"
Such a disconnect from the actual economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies