Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 02:19 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Native Americans came from Asia.
Yeah, shortly after the last ice age, many thousand years before ANY Europeans landed here.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:19 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
I'm not annoyed, I just like to debate things like this.

The ironic thing is that the people who are speaking their native tongue in this commercial are simply expressing the same affinity for their language as we are for ours. Of course I'm not surprised that the loony libs don't recognize this fact.
Like I said, cons annoyed over stupid crap, yet again. So predictable & so sad.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:20 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I'm just against this particular commercial because anyone not familiar with this country would think that we are a 90% "minority" country by watching this tripe. It would have been better if these immigrants had sung in english to demonstrate that we are ONE country, not a balkanization of separate communities.
Excellent point!

Old 02-03-2014, 02:22 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
We are a nation of immigrants, that is an historical fact.
We USED to be a nation of immigrants who met strict entry requirements, and then assimilated. That is no longer true.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:40 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
I think I heard it best today somewhere, "a lot of racists took offense to that ad".

Old 02-03-2014, 02:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Quote:
Multiculturalism is wonderful, but the problem is the language barrier. The US is a predominantly English speaking country, and there are pockets of immigrants who don't seem to assimilate. That's what this commercial does wrong; instead of showing people of different races and cultures singing in English, they show them singing and song about America in their own language. They're identifying with their country of origin first and as Americans second and this is a big problem. Language barriers create racial tension, limit the immigrants job and employment opportunities, and to many people shows disrespect for the country they moved to.

Americans could never get away with moving to another country en masse and refusing to learn the local language. The US is a melting pot only if people are willing to melt, otherwise it will remain a fractured nation of cultural clusters. That being said, I have overwhelming respect for immigrants who come to the US, learn to speak our language and identify as Americans.
Rate this post positively
Excellent post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I think I heard it best today somewhere, "a lot of racists took offense to that ad".
LOL, that's perfect.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:28 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Like I said, cons annoyed over stupid crap, yet again. So predictable & so sad.
Great rebuttal!

Old 02-03-2014, 03:39 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,096,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Excellent post. Couldn't have said it better myself.
You are reading between too many lines. All of that was irrelevant to the commercial. All of the children in it are bilingual. They have learned English and also know their native or heritage language. Coke's channel on YouTube had great clips of all of the children. Do some adults come here and not pick up the language? Sure, it's pretty damn hard to learn English, especially as an adult. But they come here with children, the children grow up in this culture, and they assimilate. I'm reminded of The Godfather Part II when they show the Godfather in New York in the early part of the century. The neighborhood was ENTIRELY Italian, everybody spoke Italian, and nobody communicated in English. But a generation later, they are as mainstream as possible. Think of other places in New York - Chinatown, Hell's Kitchen, Five Points - that were entirely inhabited by various diaspora. Now decades later, that isn't the case anymore. It is foolish to expect an immigrant that comes in January to know English and be fully assimilated to whatever idea of American culture you have by the end of the year, but at the same time their children are growing up learning English, watching American television shows, going to English-speaking schools and being instilled with these ideas of what America is. It isn't an overnight transition, and it never was. In fact, many immigrants assimilate far better here than they do in European countries. I don't know what it is about conservatives that they insist everybody becomes like them like the flip of a switch. It would be pretty boring if we were all the same wouldn't it?

Old 02-03-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Great rebuttal!
Thanks! And it's completely 100% factual!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies