Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:11 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,291,849 times

Advertisements

Conservatives have come a long way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1ZCs...tu.be&t=15m36s

Old 02-03-2014, 10:21 AM

5,342 posts, read 4,431,797 times
What is apparent is that there are many that like to troll. Did anyone bother to follow the links in that E! piece? Most of the links lead to "Page Not Found." And then there was the guy that did post what he admitted was a troll post just to see what would happen. He was very proud of the fact that E! and HuffPo picked up his tweet and ran with it. Several of the other linked tweets were pretty much the same.

Unfortunately, people like to troll. And then there are those that like to feed the trolls. Too many like to feel their faux outrage. Some revel in creating an environment for the seeding of that outrage.

I have both, a twitter account and a Facebook account. On both I have friends from all over the world, from all walks of life, of all political persuasions and races. Not a one, anywhere has seen fit to give this any consideration at all. But, then again, most people I know IRL definitely do the required due diligence.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-03-2014 at 10:35 AM..

Old 02-03-2014, 10:30 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,771 times
Good commercial. If you find fault with it, then you were certainly digging and have deliberately found offense (as many are wont to do). I suggest some WD-40 for your squeaky wheel.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:48 AM

577 posts, read 436,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Perhaps it didn't come through in the Commercial, but they are Americans singing.

Coca-Cola - It's Beautiful - Behind the Scenes - YouTube
This makes me love hte commercian EVEN MORE.. awesome.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:12 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Wow, I just called out on Facebook from a FB "friend" because I was wondering where all of the white people are in this commercial. I am a gay, out, Mexican-american, but certainly not blind that the country is still 68% white. If someone not familiar with the United States saw this commercial, would they think that we were "majority-minority"? I applaud that it featured a gay couple, and an interracial couple at that. Otoh, Hollywood deletes a lot of "minority" people from media, film so I suppose that this commercial is that "in reverse"? Nobody cares to listen WHY a person expresses themselves a certain way and are too quick to judge, in my opinion.

Coca-Cola's America the Beautiful Super Bowl Commercial Sparks Outrage on Twitter | E! Online
this post answers itself in a way. I think one of the main points of the commercial was to show that you don't have to be a straight, white, English as a first language person to be an American. do you always wonder where the white folks are when you see a commercial without them? weird.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:55 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The trouble is, all of the children singing in foreign languages ARE American. The Coke Youtube channel features videos on all of them - each speak at least 2 languages flawlessly by 12 years old.

And the girl singing in Spanish? Puerto Rican . Newsflash: They're Americans.
I honestly believe that the reason that a lot of people get bent out of shape is that they don't feel they need to be proselytized to like they are a bunch of school children. I mean, it's a damn Coke commercial, what on earth does singing the National Anthem in multiple languages have to do with a sugary soft drink?

Old 02-03-2014, 12:42 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviastar View Post
It wasn't the national anthem.
Sorry, America the Beautiful.

Quote:
I though it was a good advertisement. I think the larger point is that, for the better, we are become a nation of many, and the notion that we should be one homogeneous country with "one language, one culture" is a flawed one (and makes a very uninteresting society).
Are you saying that every nation on the planet that has one culture and one language is flawed and makes for a very uninteresting society? Because that pretty much describes every nation on the planet BUT ours.

BTW, We have always been a nation of many and we have always been a nation with English as the language that unites us.

Quote:
My wife is from a different country...her family lives here now and it is great to be a part of their culture as well as my own; I am learning new language, foods, etc.

I don't understand the fear/paranoia some exhibit about this issue, and I also don't understand why, when someone sees someone else singing a patriotic song in a different language, the observer automatically assumes the person "is not american" - as if Americans don't learn new languages in high school, college, private study, etc.

In 10 or 20 years...just imagine how multicultural we will be!
The language we speak defines us. In addition, they are called language barriers for a reason. I missed half that song because I didn't understand what they were saying. Why is that wonderful?

Like I said, I really don't have a problem with the commercial beyond the motivation behind it. It is the arrogance of a small group of people feeling that they need to preach to us about how to live.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:52 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
have you ever actually watched television?

i'll be damned if we're depicted as 95% white. you see racial/ethnic minorities everywhere on tv.
Uh- The Bachelor & The Bachelorette, Seinfeld, Friends. Admittedly, I don't watch much TV. But there are still many shows out there that never feature traditional "minorities". Even the Disney Channel always features the white boy as the star of the show with a secondary role for everyone else.

Last edited by wehotex; 02-03-2014 at 01:02 PM..

Old 02-03-2014, 12:58 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
I hear this language all the time in NC

America The Beautiful in Cherokee Language - YouTube

Old 02-03-2014, 12:59 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Sadly, these kinds of fear based emotions rests in the hearts of all human beings. The gut feeling that those people are different from us so they are a threat is a very base human thing.

In this nation, we have a particular demographic of Americans that are terrified. To them this "foreign" and strange President was elected twice.

They see the demography of this nation changing and they are terrified.

These kinds of irrational over reactions to a commercial is all about those larger fears.

Really, I feel bad for them, because this fear and loathing of America won't get better for them.

They really feel and believe that they are losing something, that something is being taken from them by these people and there is nothing they can do about it but whine about commercials.
Excuse me, but I voted for and drove 750 miles to knock on doors for Pres Obama in 2008. I'm just against this particular commercial because anyone not familiar with this country would think that we are a 90% "minority" country by watching this tripe. It would have been better if these immigrants had sung in english to demonstrate that we are ONE country, not a balkanization of separate communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies