Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:03 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,179,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
For some reason republicans don't see the military spending as a bad thing even though it dwarfs a lot of other spending. They see it as they're providing a service. I mean its very convenient thinking because if you tell then Medicare provides a service they think it's not the same thing.

My old home small town in Texas wouldn't survive without the local school district which is huge and employs the most people there. Its a top district in the State and has amazing worker benefits, yet the many conservative workers will sit there and tell you government can run jack! LOL.

It's really strange thinking.

Are you comparing military with medicare??? Not saying I don't agree that medicare is needed but its definitely not the same as military. We are paying the for the military because it protects us ALL. Medicare is only benefit for those who qualify and you don't have to work to get it. You have to work and put your life on the line in the military so they should be compensated for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 06:04 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Are you comparing military with medicare??? Not saying I don't agree that medicare is needed but its definitely not the same as military. We are paying the for the military because it protects us ALL. Medicare is only benefit for those who qualify and you don't have to work to get it. You have to work and put your life on the line in the military so they should be compensated for that.
What is the military protecting us from, again?

Old 02-06-2014, 06:07 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
What is the military protecting us from, again?
From other countries who would jump at the chance to attack us and take over if we didn't have one. But I guess we should get rid of it and just be siting ducks.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:08 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,719,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
For some reason republicans don't see the military spending as a bad thing even though it dwarfs a lot of other spending. They see it as they're providing a service. I mean its very convenient thinking because if you tell then Medicare provides a service they think it's not the same thing.

My old home small town in Texas wouldn't survive without the local school district which is huge and employs the most people there. Its a top district in the State and has amazing worker benefits, yet the many conservative workers will sit there and tell you government can run jack! LOL.

It's really strange thinking.
I have live in one of these small towns in Washington. The school district was in large part funded by taxpayers in the Seattle area-democrats. We had a large number of Federal employees through the Forest Service and in our schools 50% were on Snap and I guess most of the town was on Medicaid, Schip, EITC, etc. Senior relied SS, Medicare and senior lunches. But when it come to voting 57% voted Republican. Almost the whole town was a government check...ya gotta love the Republican base.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
From other countries who would jump at the chance to attack us and take over if we didn't have one. But I guess we should get rid of it and just be siting ducks.
So, which countries want to attack us and take over?

Old 02-06-2014, 06:14 PM
PJA

Quote:
So, which countries want to attack us and take over?
None...because we have a powerful military.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Ok, so, no country then. There is no threat to us. Then why have such a large military? It's starting to look more like a jobs program than an actual military. We have a military built for offensive operations, not defense.

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 02-06-2014 at 06:30 PM..

Old 02-06-2014, 06:25 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,719,269 times
Quote:
Quote:
Ok, so, no country then. There is no threat to us. Then why have such a large military? It's starting to look more like a jobs program than an actual military. We have a military built for offensive, not defense.
Of course its a jobs program..Look at Tucson or Phoenix. The two air bases in Arizona could be closed now. In the case of Phoenix they bought a lot of development rights around the base so the F-35s which are very noisy wouldnt bother any one. In the case of Tucson the almost obsolete A-10 is kept flying because of politics. This is Republican and Democrat welfare.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:31 PM
PJA

Quote:
Ok, so, no country then. There is no threat to us. Then why have such a large military? It's starting to look more like a jobs program than an actual military. We have a military built for offensive, not defense.
Yeah lets shrink out military and make ourselves vulnerable so people will want to attack us. lol

But seriously my whole point is the military is not comparable to medicare.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:32 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
The US has traditionally had a rural-urban split. Prohibition came in with a traditional/family values vote against the modern sinful ways of the city. Its easy to get rural voters to vote against change and blame the country's woes on some other not-like-us scapegoat group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies