Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:00 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times

Advertisements

Landlords have taken 30k or nearly 10% of San Francisco's rental stock off market in order no to deal with the hassle of rent law. There's your progressivism at work folks.

https://www.baycitizen.org/columns/e...-time-tenants/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 08:29 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This actually is not true at all.

And FYI, public housing is not "affordable housing" it is confusing, but the affordable housing that is being spoken about in the article is new developments that are built as a result of a private developer obtaining tax credits from the government in exchange of setting income limits at market rate (private, not public housing) apartment communities.

The trend across the nation is to demolish public housing. You may not like him but Obama has instituted a new program called Rental Assistance Demonstration that is encouraging local public housing authorities to demolish all their public housing units and then build new market rate (regular) apartment communities that will house both former public housing residents and higher income individuals in the same communities.

Here in Atlanta we were the first to do this and had great success where poverty, crime, and school performance at specific former public housing community locations have all gotten better. Many people who move to these locations are unaware that they used to be public housing due to how nice they are and the amenities that they have.

Public housing today is currently aimed at senior citizens and disabled individuals. There are specific ones that target seniors who are raising grandchildren as well.

If anything, this man building small communities with no amenities for market rate individuals is only building a future slum in many ways. If not properly managed and without the investment in resident services, then his locations will eventually be a target for only poor and poverty stricken people. Unfortunately, an area that is dominated by poverty always has worse statistics in regards to crime and educational achievement so in many ways he is not forward thinking. It would be better to build these cheap apartments but have them be in sought after neighborhoods where you can entice higher income people to move there too in order to have some demographic diversity.
Just to add to that if anyone wants to read about "affordable units" here is the link:

https://www.fanniemae.com/content/fa...pworkhouse.pdf

Old 02-09-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I duplicated the thread for the Portland thread for anyone that wants to have a more local discussion.

East Portland will be one of the last areas to see much income change, but I doubt it will become any sort of "gangbanger" hotbed because Portland really doesn't have any area that is a "gangbanger" hotbed.

But applying affordable housing options near the outer stops of the MAX is the point of affordable housing. Though I have an issue with reducing apartments to efficiency studios. I do think there is a point where small is too small, I think micro dwellings should be done more on a owner occupied level rather than a developer level.
The "affordable" moniker does not mean they are all studio apartments. In fact they can be any apartment on the property so long as the resident meets area median income standards for the size of the apartment. Local restrictions may go further.

So in my area a 3 bedroom 1669 sq ft apartment that rents for $1600/month at market rate rents for $980/month at an affordable rate to qualifying individuals and families. The maximum you can increase rent each renewal is 4%.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 02-09-2014 at 09:13 AM..

Old 02-09-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

The limited parking spots is so the developer can OVER CHARGE for parking spots..
Well that kind of depends. Say a property is zoned for 360 units but the reality is without limiting the number of buildings and building them taller there would be no way to fit enough regular parking and handicap parking for 360 units on the property. Then of course you have local codes that require a certain number of exits, elevators, etc. which all adds up. Not that some developers don't charge for parking but most traditional apartment buildings would just factor parking into rent and call it a day. If they want to make money on parking they'll build parking decks and garages.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Can't you read? There is a huge waiting list.

Simple solution to low income housing issue you describe: require a college degree for all low income rentals. Crime will drop like a rock.
Or a job. Working people are a whole lot more motivated and honest than those who think they're owed a living.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:11 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Landlords have taken 30k or nearly 10% of San Francisco's rental stock off market in order no to deal with the hassle of rent law. There's your progressivism at work folks.

Which of course increases the cost of rentals making it harmful to the poor..

Typical left wing policies and the results..

Old 02-09-2014, 09:28 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Or a job. Working people are a whole lot more motivated and honest than those who think they're owed a living.

tsk tsk, can't do that, one of the fair housing requirements prohibiits discrimination on the basis of "source of income". but an educational requirement does not infringe on any of the "protected classes" - at least not until liberal activist judges prohibit that on the basis of "disparate impact".

your post reminds me that crime is not a function of poverty or race but overwhelmingly of the population of young men who are not employed and not in school.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Then move there.
Me I love the country and having acres between me and my closest neighbor. I love having neighbors I know well and trust and aren't so hurting for cash that they will rob me if I go out of town. My neighbor actually has the keys to my house for when I am away. We all know each other and look out for one another. Better still, no smog, no smell of sewage or old garbage or any other foul smells you find in your typical city.
I like San Francisco. Very beautiful. I love beaches and the ocean as well. 4 more years and I will live where it never gets cold and uncrowded beaches are everywhere. LOL also in the country so I get the best of both worlds.

Low income housing unfortunately is a magnet for not only the poor, but the dishonest poor as well.

Sherman Hills Wilkes-barre Pa for example.... Every week another shooting, mugging, fight, drug raid,or name the crime. Property values surrounding the area have plummeted. I wish it were unique. I wish people living in low income projects appreciated the gift they are given. No doubt many do, unfortunately many don't

Require means test PLUS college education. Crime will drop like a rock. Education level of neighborhood will rise. So the problem is not low-income housing.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Yes they did. Families lived there for awhile saved up some capital and moved up to bigger apartments uptown, the Bronx and other boroughs.

Now we have generations plopped in project apartments and waiting lists tens of thousand deep but I guess this I considered progress to the do gooders.
You're full of baloney on this issue, EdwardA! It's hard to pick out just three sentences from this article, so I'll just quote the one, and you can read the rest.
The hard facts included in Riis' book--such as the fact that 12 adults slept in a room some 13 feet across, and that the infant death rate in the tenements was as high as 1 in 10--stunned many in America and around the world and led to a renewed call for reform.
Tenements — History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts

Old 02-09-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:

??? So landlords are greedy? Are these units vacant? That hardly sounds profitable. Sounds like the brat who takes his ball home when he doesn't get his way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies