Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 08:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
What is the DOEd's reasoning for this type of reform?
Common Core is a 501c corporation that was formed in 2007 that formulated all this.
Think tanks.

Education has become a big business these days all centered on the testing aspect.
And not only students but teachers as well since they all have to take tests to be considered "highly qualified". In Texas it's $160+ for each test you want to take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 01:31 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Default Rotten to the Core? Liberals Turn on Common Core Standards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXRBW8Fm7qA

Published on Feb 20, 2014
"Liberals forced the Common Core education standards on America. Now liberals quoted in the New York Times are opposing the school standards, and even New York Governor Andrew Cuomo (D) called the scheme flawed. Will Common Core make schools worse in America? Find out what Trifecta thinks."

Old 02-25-2014, 05:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I don't think the article makes any real case against Common Core. Kids have always cried over homework. But having children currently in school I completely understand why the mom is having trouble helping her.

When my daughter was younger, I was helping her with an addition problem. I said something about "carrying the 1," and she had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. They learn to "regroup" now.
And the multiplication is even crazier.

My older children are in middle school and both are two years ahead in math because they are such good math students. My husband is an engineer, and he often says that Common Core is the most convoluted math he has ever seen. He said he knows how to do the math, but when he reads through the way my kids are learning, he can barely understand it the way the text books teach it. And he has a degree in engineering.
My kids graduated from HS in 2002 and 2005. DH had difficulty helping them in math, too, b/c they were being taught differently, well before Common Core.

It's funny; we complain when the schools use the same old same old all the time, and we complain when they change things. I'm guilty of some of this myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I think that is the biggest problem with Common Core. It grades the process more than the answer. It forces the kids to do math the "Common Core" way. In many cases, the process is worth 4 points, and the right answer is worth 1.
My oldest got a 96 on a test this year because he got the right answer on one problem, but worked it different than the Common Core way. His way was also 100% correct. No matter what numbers were in the problem, his way would have found the right answer. But he still lost 4 points.

But if you follow the Common Core way, even if you get all the answers completely wrong, you get an 80% because you showed the Common Core process. You can't do the math, but who cares about those trivial details, right?
Again, this is nothing new. I used to get points taken off for "show your work" b/c I could figure out a problem, but I couldn't say how I got there. I graduated from HS in 1967.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
So welcome to the club. How many millions of math challenged children haven't shed a few tears over some math homework.

Guess the OP didn't read the picture description. The kid had missed a couple of questions that the MOM pointed out and was told to leave them and come back later to figure out. The kid took it upon herself to dig in like a tick and try to find the answer only becoming frustrated and upset in the process.

FYI this has been going on forever.
This picture could have been me at that age.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 PM

542 posts, read 692,317 times
I figured out the skip-count thing but the one about making a ten to subtract I'm still scratching my head over.

I used to work at a public library, located next to two schools, and we'd sometimes get the kids coming up to ask us to help on their homework. I remember this one girl (primary school, I believe) asked me to help with math and I figured I'd be explaining multiplication or something. I looked at her worksheet and I was like . I had no idea what the question was even asking. And I was in AP classes in high school and graduated college.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:02 PM

174 posts, read 181,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Common Core is a 501c corporation that was formed in 2007 that formulated all this.
Think tanks.

Education has become a big business these days all centered on the testing aspect.
And not only students but teachers as well since they all have to take tests to be considered "highly qualified". In Texas it's $160+ for each test you want to take.

Exactly right, the crazy thing is nobody in this whole thread talks about the real aspects of common core. It is not about Math or Science, it is about invasive technology, gathering information on children. Common core was created by corporations and its backers are also big corporations.

What this thread is about is exactly what they want to write about. A debate over if the math is too hard or easy. Please people do your own research if you care for your kids. Nobody has time or gives a crap anymore so for this all of our children suffer with poor corporate control like this.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:38 PM

174 posts, read 181,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Two words:

Home schooling.

or

Parochial School
Agreed, but afraid corporate will somehow make that illegal soon after Common core begins implementation as well. Sort of like the Germans who got deported for home schooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies