Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:32 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Today, and also about a month ago, a professional basketball player, and a football player openly admitted to being gay.
Being a gay guy myself, I could never understand the need to openly discuss my sexual preference, and I wonder why people in the spotlight particularly need to "come out"
The foot ball player stated in an interview, "I want people to know me as the professional football player, not the gay professional football player"
That being the case, why even bring it up in the first place?
I will never understand why gays are so hell bent on letting the world know they are gay.
Can anyone please explain why gays feel they need to do this?
Bob.
No need for guessing. NBA player Jason Collins came out in this article - and explains why:

NBA player Jason Collins says he is gay - The Magazine - SI.com

Old 02-24-2014, 01:05 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
While non-celebs do not have to worry about the national media, most people do have to still worry about a large network of friends, family and coworkers. I'd say its pretty much the same for both groups.. even the extortion part.
If being gay is something to be proud of, why would being called out in any way have something to do with extortion?

Old 02-24-2014, 01:23 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,280 times
Openly gay player Jason Collins signs with Brooklyn Nets - CNN.com

Headline on CNN. I rest my case

Old 02-24-2014, 01:30 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Frankly I am kind of surprised about the OP's post if he is gay- unless he spends very little time around straight people. Gay and lesbian people continually make the choice whether to 'come out' or hide who they are throughout their whole lives - every time they meet a new person and that person asks if they have a girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife/family etc. Straight people mention their significant others in conversation all the time without even thinking about it. "My wife and I took a trip to the coast." "My boyfriend Tom is an engineer and said...." etc.

The difference for a gay or lesbian person is that they often have to pause and ask themselves what the consequences might be if they just mention their partner's name or use 'he' or 'she'.

Think about what that might be like.

Last edited by Ceist; 02-24-2014 at 01:39 AM..

Old 02-24-2014, 02:05 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's what I think too, at least in regards to public figures. I remember when Ellen DeGeneres came out (before it was "hip" to do so), and said she only did it to stop the gossip... same thing with Neil Patrick Harris, who was actually beating a journalist to the punch. Apparently some journalist had pictures of him & his boyfriend, and was planning to sell them to a gossip rag. NPH basically said "why should this guy make money off revealing something I'm not ashamed to admit myself, but just never felt the need to do?"

As for non-celebs, I guess it's just easier than playing the "pronoun game" or correcting people, since the default is usually to assume heterosexuality. JMO as a straight woman, though, which might not count for much. Out of curiousity, OP, how old are you?
It's an informed opinion so it counts a lot.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:31 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Today, and also about a month ago, a professional basketball player, and a football player openly admitted to being gay.
Being a gay guy myself, I could never understand the need to openly discuss my sexual preference, and I wonder why people in the spotlight particularly need to "come out"
The foot ball player stated in an interview, "I want people to know me as the professional football player, not the gay professional football player"
That being the case, why even bring it up in the first place?
I will never understand why gays are so hell bent on letting the world know they are gay.
Can anyone please explain why gays feel they need to do this?
Bob.

Its just the media hype and media obsession at the moment. Why cant you just be gay, but act normal, like some claim to be? Just live your life, you dont need to announce to the world who you are. I dont want to know what you do and Im sure most others dont either.

A lot do it for attention. In a day where the media slobbers over you if you "come out" and where anyone with a negative view of homosexuality is bashed, its hardly a thing of courage to say youre gay.

One thing I hope changes is the flamboyancy. Drop the lisps and all that. You want to be taken seriously as a human being, then quit making yourself look like a fool. Dont become the stereotype.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:40 AM

n/a posts
It's a form of liberation.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:08 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
I thought it was because if you don't cover yourself in rainbows and glitter, or you don't look like Chaz Bono before he transitioned, people assume that you're straight. So if you're not, others will have to figure out somehow.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:50 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
"Coming out" satisfies the need for drama and attention.

Why is there such a focus on worrying about "feelings" so much these days? Suck it up, people! No one really cares how you, I , or anyone else feels. Life's rough, deal with it!

Old 02-24-2014, 06:01 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
from my perspective, it looks like they are simply trying to kill the situation instead of having weeks or months of speculation after someone sees them out with a guy and having ESPN or Fox Sports interview them and say "so are you gay, we have pictures of you with a man".

To me, its more of the media's problem, not the individuals. "Coming out" is just the gay person's way of heading off or ending speculation so that they can move on.
You are exactly right. Plus it is also a fact that the reason why gays are becoming more accepted is because more are coming out of the closet. Athletics has been pretty much the last frontier as far as gays are concerned. I predict now that a few have broken the ice you will see more pro athletes come out over the next couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies