Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:01 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times

Advertisements

We always look at labels - mainly for fat%, trans-fats, sodium, and sugar content - and won't buy anything with HFCS.
Consumerism works - many food and drinks now advertise that they have no HFCS or trans-fats.

Why mock efforts to get America healthier? Just because it's an Obama?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/26/he...-a-decade.html
Obesity Rate for Young Children Plummets 43% in a Decade
Factors include awareness, fewer calories from sugary beverages, fewer calories overall, more breastfeeding,addn state, local and federal policies.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:08 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Believing something as trivial and mundane as grocery shopping "confuses and bewilders" women? And conservatives are the woman haters?
The word "Mom" appears nowhere in Michelle Obama's speech. Only Obama haters would interpret a speech about better labeling as an attack on women.

Full speech here:
Remarks by the First Lady on a Nutrition Facts Label Announcement | The White House

Old 02-28-2014, 11:14 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Default How many "Moms" actually DO this?

I read them because I'm diabetic but I don't ever see other people reading them.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:19 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
I just have to make a couple of comments...

" The OP clearly is so I understand why she just grab whatever looks good and eat it ."
SHE?? Look at the original Post: "My wife and I..."! Apparently, you believe I am a lesbian!

No, I am not at all confused, either about grocery shopping or my sexuality.
THAT is the whole point of my posting, the lack of confusion about what to buy! THAT, and the apparent opinion of the "elite" that us common folks are too dumb to know that a 20 ounce bottle of sugary soft drink is actually MORE than one serving. OF COURSE it is, and we don't care. It isn't like we drink a dozen a day, after all!
Why, we haven't purchased a Twinkie or a Hostess Snoball in years!
However, I DO buy Spam singles occasionally, and I add seasoned salt to low-sodium foods. We even buy salted BUTTER!!! and real LARD!
If I could, I would buy milk that is just pasteurized, not homogenized. Actually, I would prefer it fresh from the cow!
It doesn't matter if I shop at IGA or Albertson's or Walmart, I just don't see the "confusion" that is referenced. Perhaps SHE is confused; if so, it is HER problem! There is no need to lay it off on everybody who shops for groceries!

Old 02-28-2014, 11:22 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Some labels I read, some I don't.

I try to buy as many products as possible that are raw or unprocessed. When I buy a product that is processed, but that I use regularly, I tend to be casual about reading that label. When I'm looking at a product that I don't buy regularly, I tend to read the label pretty carefully.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:24 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Michelle is just trying to make herself feel relevant. Shallow people like to have their egos stroked, if this little useless project gives her something to do, it's not so bad. At least she's not trying to dive into foreign policy or economics.
Lmfao you are so right on with this.
I didn't know anyone actually paid attention to what she
has to say......I know I certainly never have.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:34 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Michelle is just trying to make herself feel relevant. Shallow people like to have their egos stroked, if this little useless project gives her something to do, it's not so bad. At least she's not trying to dive into foreign policy or economics.
So, you really don't think she wants America to get healthier? If not, is because you dislike her or do you truly think she doesn't care about families getting healthier? The First Lady always does "useless projects".

Old 02-28-2014, 11:34 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
I read labels all the time. And I think that the new format is an improvement. The nutters have to whine about everything, it seems.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:41 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Michelle Obama: America's Moms Are 'Confused and Bewildered,' 'Defeated' by Grocery Shopping | CNS News

My wife and I do our grocery shopping together. We seldom read the labels. We know what we want, and we buy it regardless of what the label says.
If we DO read the "nutrition information", we only look at the salt level and the HFCS content. If it has a lot of salt (sodium) and/or corn syrup, we might not buy it. If it is something that we like, and purchase only as a treat, we often buy it anyway.
Ennyhoo, there is very little "confusion" in our shopping.
The same goes when we eat out, whether it is a fast-food place or a sit-down restaurant with menus and waiters. Health food is the last thing on our minds!
I think the confusion is between michelle's ears, and behind her eyeballs. I certainly don't have any!
Congratulations on your decision to disregard health food and seldom read nutrition labels. We're glad that you've come to an understanding that you pretty much don't care about what you eat. But your willful ignorance does not speak for everyone and does not preclude the usefulness of improved labels for people who DO care.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:43 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,374 times
If you eat mostly fresh food, these labels are a nonissue.

Even if you buy packaged food, really being informed is about understanding what goes into breakfast cereal, or canned soup, or Kraft mac and cheese. I do not need to know the precise grams because I am not an ignoramous and understand that breakfast cereal is a lot of simple carbs made from pulverized grains, as is mac and cheese. If I lack such understanding of food and macronutrients, reading a chart isn't likely to somehow grant me enlightenment.

I agree with removing the emphasis on calories from fat. That was missing the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies