Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:42 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Well if the shoe fits???

Anyone that votes in national elections simply on "war on women" and other social issues, yup, pretty much brainless. Male or female.

I choose to look a little deeper than that.

I am very liberal socially. Pro choice, pro legalization of marijuana, pro equality, and I don't care who anyone marries. No one told me who I could marry so it's certainly not my place to tell anyone else.

I just won't vote for a president based on these issues. These issues are won by the states as we can clearly see. It's happening all the time. Why would anyone vote nationally on these issues? Because they don't have enough sense to do a little research.

My money that I earn for my family is important to me. I have no issues with Medicare and Social Security either. People worked hard and paid into those for the people preceding them in those programs.

I feel we've gotten too far away from encouraging hard work and too near making it perfectly ok to take instead of earn.

I do not and will not raise my kids on the ideas of the latter.

Yup. The funny thing is that the president has no power over some of the issues people use to choose who to vote for. Last election it was gay marriage. That is not an issue the president will decide. Neither is abortion.

When you vote for the POTUS you are voting for our leader, for the person who will represent us to the world and guide our country, not some issue that's your favorite. I don't even consider issues when deciding who to vote for. I want to know they are experienced (obummer had ZERO experience) and that they have a proven record that they have the intelligence and ability to run this country. Where they stand on my pet issues doesn't come into play when voting for the president. It blows my mind that people will let an issue decide who runs the country. You'd think the fact they'll be RUNNING THE COUNTRY would be the most important thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 07:47 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I am a Democrat married to a Republican for 40 years. He cannot tell me how to vote just because he is my husband. We have two married adult daughters. The are both Democrats and so are their spouses. Being married makes a woman Republican? You are joking right? Only young, unmarried women are pro-choice? Sure, tell that to an old woman who remembers those "wonderful days". Unmarried women on the government dole? Well, I get Medicare, and soon will get Social Security from the GOVERNMENT. No big fat 401K from (Republican) hubby.

Sorry, this is one married Democrat woman who raised two more married Democrat women, DESPITE them having a Republlican father.
Why do people always think Medicare and Social Security is "on the government dole"? No, that's Medicaid and welfare. The difference is that you pay into Medicare and Social Security all your working life (or your husband did if you didn't work).

Old 03-19-2014, 07:58 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,765,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Why do people always think Medicare and Social Security is "on the government dole"? No, that's Medicaid and welfare. The difference is that you pay into Medicare and Social Security all your working life (or your husband did if you didn't work).
Thank you for bringing that up.

It is a common misconception that fiscal conservatives despise these programs and look down upon them.

Honestly, I have no problem with hand ups. I have a problem with hand outs. I'm glad we have help for those that are TEMPORARILY down and out. The key word was capitalized.
I do have a problem with able bodies people making careers of living off of these programs.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post

I asked this question because the GOP chair said they don't have a women problem they have a single women under 30 problem(and its true).
Beyond a poll of a few hundred or thousand, how would they know if a woman voter was married or not, let alone how she voted.

BTW, I have never voted a straight ticket.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:16 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,460,718 times
most married woman i know have those traditional family values and its safe to say liberals couldn't care less about that

Old 03-19-2014, 08:24 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Like why is this and what's the reason for the difference? For this thread id like to hear mainly women's opinions on this. If you're a married woman who votes for the GOP did you vote for them when you were single? Is it simply an age thing and not a marriage one?

I asked this question because the GOP chair said they don't have a women problem they have a single women under 30 problem(and its true).
Because when you're young and indestructible, and innocent to the things of life and finance, you tend to be more liberal. After you've worked a few thousand hours, and paid a few thousand bills, you tend to understand that things come at a cost and that cost is sometimes too high to fritter away on the whims of other people.

Unfortunately both parties are two sides of the same coin these days. The Republican party hardliners are anything but conservative. Progressives have made their way into both parties and have fouled everything up.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:05 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,136,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
most married woman i know have those traditional family values and its safe to say liberals couldn't care less about that
And than Fox News is turned off and you see reality...

Old 03-19-2014, 09:18 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I am sorry to here about your wife, you have my sympathies.

Perhaps, with time, she will come to her senses and once again become a "Dem lib".

After running her own business now for the last 15 years, I don't think she is going to make a bad decision to go back and be someone else's pee-on employee.
My sympathies go to you, the pee-on employee.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:24 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,379,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
My money that I earn for my family is important to me.
It is to my wife and I as well. We think that Nebraska should expand Medicaid instead of giving the governor a 3 million plane. The state should take all the revenue it gets from sin taxes and use them to fund Medicaid.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:56 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
That's the problem with our political system. So called fiscal conservatives are conservative on social issues as well. Hell, they are even too conservative for our conservative health care law, which is where there is a huge lack of credibility (I'll grill that in a different thread). Republicans are not fiscally conservative.

So now you just accuse most women of being brainless? Fact: Most women vote Democrat. The more the right-wing scorns people for not appeasing their regressive policies, the more they push people away.

I'm so excited to see the GOP establishment burn to the ground. It gets more entertaining every day.
With all your posts you do realize that you sound like a left wing "extremist" right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies