Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 11:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
It wasn't intended to be a direct quote of what Mr. Obama said. To suggest that it is to discredit it after reading the article would be intellectual dishonesty. The author clearly explains the replacement of terms. Debating the merits of that is fine, but this was not intended to be a direct quote, hence the lack of quotation marks.
This is a common editorial technique of most sensational headlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 11:13 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Really?

Can you provide a link from a credible source, please.
What Obama said was: "It's true that the undocumented are not eligible [for Obamacare], that's how the law was written, but if you are a U.S. citizen or you have a legal presence in this country, you are eligible," he said. "And none of the information that is provided in order for you to obtain health insurance is in any way transferred to immigration services. So that's something we've been very clear about. If you live in a mixed status family, then the son who could potentially be eligible for the children's health insurance program or some other mechanism to get health insurance, he needs to be signed up. And the mother should not be fearful that in any way that's going to affect -- of course I understand the fear."

Source is from the Weekly Standard: Obama Promises Illegals: Obamacare Sign Up Info Won't Be Used for Deportation | The Weekly Standard

Old 03-19-2014, 11:16 AM

415 posts, read 764,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I tell you, I have less respect for our government now more then ever, and I fear the next election? How much further will they take this? Awful and scary.
and the Best is the= you don't like it'' get out n vote (the American people have spoken ) such a placebo at this point, the people behind the curtain hand pick frick n frack that WE''' get to choose from.. No one else has a chance, they would be black balled by the media, made invisible unless dirt could be dough up, and the one's put fourth would get great spin... Ugh... but there are to many a sleep people out there to take this in, So, never mind

Last edited by Hickory patrick; 03-19-2014 at 11:33 AM..

Old 03-19-2014, 11:23 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I repeat,

Can anyone tell me what freedoms I have lost because Obama was elected?
Freedom to determine how you fund your own healthcare. Freedom to organize without intimidation or interference from government based on politcal views. The expectation of being treated equally under the law as the President's supporters who are exempted. Freedom to communicate without federal agencies spying on me. Also concerning is the overstepping of the bounds of the balance of power which has yet to be challenged by Congress.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:26 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This is a common editorial technique of most sensational headlines.
and? It still spells out clearly where it came from and does not claim to be a direct quote. Headlines are meant to grab attention. When you read it, you can understand the point the author is making. Some will ignore it; some will debate the content, and I guess some will argue that the headline is improper which is a red herring to the content discussion.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
What Obama said was: "It's true that the undocumented are not eligible [for Obamacare], that's how the law was written, but if you are a U.S. citizen or you have a legal presence in this country, you are eligible," he said. "And none of the information that is provided in order for you to obtain health insurance is in any way transferred to immigration services. So that's something we've been very clear about. If you live in a mixed status family, then the son who could potentially be eligible for the children's health insurance program or some other mechanism to get health insurance, he needs to be signed up. And the mother should not be fearful that in any way that's going to affect -- of course I understand the fear."

Source is from the Weekly Standard: Obama Promises Illegals: Obamacare Sign Up Info Won't Be Used for Deportation | The Weekly Standard

Did you note the part about a mixed status household?

8-10% ( dependent on source) of all annual births in the U.S. are to illegal immigrants.

Hospitals provide emergency room stabilization to anyone, regardless of their citizenship or ability to pay.

Funding of Medicaid to reimburse hospitals for childbirth became law in the 80's.

SNAP feeds the children of illegal immigrants.

WIC feeds expectants mothers who are illegal and expecting.

Medicaid pays for healthcare of the children of illegal immigrants.

Our schools educate the children of illegal immigrants and they are eligible for free or reduced meals.

The barn door was left open 30 years ago and here we are.

A bipartisan group of Senators agreed to an immigration reform plan, last year. It died in the house. Rather than put future elections/reelections at risk, neither party is going to do anything. It's business as usual.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
and? It still spells out clearly where it came from and does not claim to be a direct quote. Headlines are meant to grab attention. When you read it, you can understand the point the author is making. Some will ignore it; some will debate the content, and I guess some will argue that the headline is improper which is a red herring to the content discussion.
How many people even notice the absence of quotation marks when a sensational headline agrees with their perception of the world?

It's sleazy journalism.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:52 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Obama Promises Illegals: Obamacare Sign Up Info Won't Be Used for Deportation | The Weekly Standard

Old 03-19-2014, 11:52 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
The author makes a contorted logic leap from Obama's statement that trickle down "...doesn’t work. It has never worked" to "Obama To Americans: You Don't Deserve To Be Free". The headline is link bait (it worked) and Binswanger's argument that a=b is flawed.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:54 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,096,480 times
It amazes me that threads with an OP built on such a lie can drag on for pages...so long as it is something negative about Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies