Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 07:58 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times

Advertisements

Where do you get the nonsense that Hispanics will be the majority in 50 years???

Old 04-01-2014, 08:05 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Could it be that these kids don't do as well in school as others because they want to keep their birth language as much as possible instead of immersing themselves in speaking and writing American English? This not only means they won't do as well in school, but it has a bad effect on their job prospects later in life.
Asians, on the other hand, usually learn American English as soon as possible, and do everything they can to immerse themselves in the culture of their adopted country. This gives them a HUGE advantage!
Could it really be that simple? Yes, I think it could!

Old 04-01-2014, 08:07 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Where do you get the nonsense that Hispanics will be the majority in 50 years???
It's been in the news a number of times...and has been a big fear for the Stormfront crowd.

I don't see it as an issue personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Could it be that these kids don't do as well in school as others because they want to keep their birth language as much as possible instead of immersing themselves in speaking and writing American English? This not only means they won't do as well in school, but it has a bad effect on their job prospects later in life.
Asians, on the other hand, usually learn American English as soon as possible, and do everything they can to immerse themselves in the culture of their adopted country. This gives them a HUGE advantage!
...and your proof of this is what? Nothing? You just convinced yourself it's true.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:07 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Hispanic test scores need to be viewed with the understanding that a significant portion of those testing struggle to speak or read the language the test is written in. This will result in false low score trends. In the studies I have seen where language obtainment is controlled for, the scores aren't much different than White scores, and actually smaller than the gap between White and Asian scores. I wouldn't fret about it too much.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:10 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
It's been in the news a number of times...and has been a big fear for the Stormfront crowd.

I don't see it as an issue personally.

...and your proof of this is what? Nothing? You just convinced yourself it's true.
The links state that Hispanics and Asians combined will become a majority, not quite the same as Hispanics becoming a majority.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:13 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I find that half the Asians I know around my age don't know any other languages but English.

That pretty much means that their kids will only know English too.

It's easier for Asians to give up their native languages. Asia is half a world away.

The Spanish speaking world lies right below our border. You can't expect the same dynamic.

You can't reasonably compare Hispanics to Asians relative to language.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:18 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I don't know. There are plenty of white dumb bunnies contributing to the scariness and a lot are in college now. The last group I saw, couldn't name a single person in the US Senate. Then there are the people who have no idea who we fought in the Revolutionary war/from what country we got our independence (asked on Independence Day). They can't name the Vice President when shown his photo. If I was a parent, and my kids made it to college with great grades but being that stupid, I'd sue the school district.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:19 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Does the lower academic achievement make them more aggressive. I find them very aggressive and rude. Walk down a hallway and they almost run over you and they almost stand on top of you in a line. They seem to think we should start speaking Spanish instead of their learning to speak English. Yes, we have been invaded by the enemy and the biggest problem is our government does not care. When will the politicians learn they are supposed to be protecting us and not the illegals?

Old 04-01-2014, 08:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Does the lower academic achievement make them more aggressive. I find them very aggressive and rude. Walk down a hallway and they almost run over you and they almost stand on top of you in a line. They seem to think we should start speaking Spanish instead of their learning to speak English. Yes, we have been invaded by the enemy and the biggest problem is our government does not care. When will the politicians learn they are supposed to be protecting us and not the illegals?
Don't cry about it. Be aggressive and rude right back to them.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:24 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,780 times
How are third generation Hispanic kids doing in school in comparison to Asian or Whites whose parents are in the same economic situation? That will really answer my original question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies