Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 01:10 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I'm talking about effective tax rates, not dollar amounts...of course you probably knew that already, neo-con.
If the poor can afford booze, cigarettes and peep shows they can afford to pay taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 01:32 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
i.e. If you're rich, you should be able to buy as many politicians as you like.
If you live in a free country, you should be able to spend your money on whatever you want.

I love how folks are shrieking about being able to "buy" politicians, yet letting the corrupt politicians are are allowing themselves to be "bought" off the hook.

I'm curious, do you count unions that those rich folk that are able to buy as many politicians as they like?

Old 04-04-2014, 01:33 PM

88,983 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If the poor can afford booze, cigarettes and peep shows they can afford to pay taxes.
It's already been proven in this thread that the poster you responded to is woefully misinformed on various income groups' effective federal income tax rates.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Family money that the heirs did nothing to earn, which discredits the point I was addressing, that these people earned what they have.

Moreover, we see today that most of the top 0.1% are in the executive suite, which earns hundreds of times the AVERAGE worker (not the lowest worker). Nobody can show that these executives work hundreds of times harder than the average work.

Why normal people defend the privileged aristocracy is beyond me.
It does if you count working smarter, taking more risk, and MUCH more responsibility.

I defend them because it's a free country, built on the opportunity to earn great wealth. I defend them because I've never been hired by a poor person. I defend them because they pay most of the taxes that fund the non-taxpayers.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Lefties have no idea about economics. They have been brainwashed to think being wealthy is bad. Only the poor are good people.
Brainwashed to think that the government deserves all money, and the govtshould decide how much of OUR money we get to keep.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
When people donate its of their own free will
When u determine that they are the fall guy for mr lazy spending habits it's a mugging
Something that flys well in the hood but not with we the people

Old 04-04-2014, 01:49 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
All taxable income is included in the average effective federal income tax rate data: earned income, unearned income (e.g. propery income, pensions), short-term capital gains, long-term capital gains, etc.

For example, Schedule D, which one files with their annual tax return, is where one reports their realized capital gains or losses. That information is then factored into one's federal income tax liability.
Soooo does that include social security? I mean thats a federal tax right? what is it? 6.3% from you, and 6.3% from your employer who would otherwise pay it to you?

Thats a 12.6% tax rate...hmmmm....

Oh right, and it only applies to the first 112K of income as well.....

Then there are all the state taxes, etc. Turns out the rich pay a lot less as a % of their income then most people realize.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:54 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They already do pay more in taxes.
Americans who make $100,000 a year are in a 28% tax bracket. But millionaire and billionaire CEO's (the ones who give our politicians their campaign money) they are in a 11% - 17% tax bracket.

Warren Buffett's Effective Federal Income Tax Rate Was Just 11% - Forbes
Romney paid 14% effective tax rate in 2011 - Sep. 21, 2012

If Middle class Americans are in a 28% tax bracket, and billionaire CEO's are in a 11%-17% tax bracket, how do the rich pay more in taxes?

But the stupid thing is republicans want to give these rich people trillions of dollars of tax cuts (at the same time their tax rates are lower than the middle class.)

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

Old 04-04-2014, 01:58 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,449,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Soooo does that include social security? I mean thats a federal tax right? what is it? 6.3% from you, and 6.3% from your employer who would otherwise pay it to you?

Thats a 12.6% tax rate...hmmmm....

Oh right, and it only applies to the first 112K of income as well.....

Then there are all the state taxes, etc. Turns out the rich pay a lot less as a % of their income then most people realize.
If they are making money through income, then they pay the same % if not more than everyone else.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:01 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,449,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Americans who make $100,000 a year are in a 28% tax bracket. But millionaire and billionaire CEO's (the ones who give our politicians their campaign money) they are in a 11% - 17% tax bracket.

Warren Buffett's Effective Federal Income Tax Rate Was Just 11% - Forbes
Romney paid 14% effective tax rate in 2011 - Sep. 21, 2012

If Middle class Americans are in a 28% tax bracket, and billionaire CEO's are in a 11%-17% tax bracket, how do the rich pay more in taxes?

But the stupid thing is republicans want to give these rich people trillions of dollars of tax cuts (at the same time their tax rates are lower than the middle class.)

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress
How come you on the Left are so, well, dumb? Do you know what capital gains is? Do you know the tax rate for that? Any middle class person making their only money through CG will be at the SAME rate as those you mentioned. If those rich people were ONLY making money through INCOME, they'd pay the same as everyone else making money ONLY through income. Please Lefties, stop trying to argue something you obviously know nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies