Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 05:19 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,090,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i am not obsessed with white on black crime, all i am asking for is a little fairness in the reporting. this is one of those stories that would have been national media if a bunch of white people had beaten a black motorist who hit a white child. but in this instance nothing on the national scene.
Because white folks don't act like thugs unless they're wearing robes and burning crosses.

Here's what would've happened with your scenario:

Black man would stop and wait until the cops got there.

Cops immediately give him a breath test to check his BAC.

Nothing?

Gonna check for outstanding warrants. You know, "just in case".

Next, get a warrant to check for drugs in his bloodstream.

Nothing?

Let him go on his own recognizance pending further investigation.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:28 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Always liked your posts as they're informative with a very distinctive level of intelligence.

But looking at reality, let's face it:

This was a racially motivated crime, and there's no reason to justify it.

Yes, white people used to have black people on leashes and actually owned them; similar to livestock. And we can't justify that, either.

Just plain wrong.

Detroit has about 86% black population, and a middle aged white guy would stand out like a sore thumb. This dude was VULNERABLE, and the thugs took advantage of the situation.

Again, if the white man pulled out his Glock with two magazines and protected himself with necessary force.......

.....and AGAIN.....

....Why is not a single person coming forward to finger these guys?
Well.....given the law of probability, would not attacking a white person give you a greater opportunity of getting more money, given that whites in society, and in the Detroit area in particular, have greater incomes and wealth than blacks? Given the same law of probability, would there not be less risk in attacking whites than attacking blacks given the rate of the deadly use of force being higher among blacks than whites? If I were to pick out a victim to rob a risk/benefit analysis would lead me to pick a white person.....not because of hate.....but because of opportunity.

Many inner city neighborhoods are very territorial. Being an outsider can make you more of a target and or perceived as an easier victim due to being out of your element. No doubt the victims race identified him as an outsider and he was in a vulnerable situation. However, I would not characterize it as a "Hate Crime", but rather, a crime of opportunity. There was a neighborhood kid, in pain.....and from the perspective, the pain was at the hands of the outsider. They may have felt that they were protecting and standing up for their own......not seeing who was really at fault, but rather reacting to the aftermath and pain of the child.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:30 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Would you be saying this if it would have been a black person beaten by a white crowd? I bet not with your friends in the room.

Hell ya, some people with common decency, do not condone these actions, no matter the color doing them, it is wrong.

I do not condone these cowardly acts by anyone, color is not so much the issue. A person who does not value their own life, sure as hell does not value any other person's life.

Fact is media, promotes which story it is, that becomes headline news, why is that! Media does not help. And we are not all stupid either, we all know why don' we now.

Some people on this forum, don't care about people who do these actions, my skin color does not matter, it is wrong, cowardly, and injustice.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:36 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,936,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i am not obsessed with white on black crime, all i am asking for is a little fairness in the reporting. this is one of those stories that would have been national media if a bunch of white people had beaten a black motorist who hit a white child. but in this instance nothing on the national scene.
This story is getting lots of national coverage, and you are seeing the "unfairness to whites" you choose to see. The mainstream media is corporate-owned and it reports and "informs" only as it benefits their bottom line.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 04-04-2014 at 05:45 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 05:42 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,750,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Here's what I know and you apparently don't. The repubs were the progressive party of the day, and dems were the party of slavery. They switched ideology in 1965 with the end of Jim Crow.
The real difference in ideology is between conservative and liberal - not party.
Now, lecture me some more.
Excuses, excuses.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:49 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Uh....wrong. When and why did you extrapolate the incident to represent all the other 600,000 thousands blacks in Detroit? Why is this not about 10 black people....and where is the evidence that these 10 black people would have given a black motorist guilty of the same thing a pass? Maybe black people read all the statistics about black violence and hear on the news about how dysfunctional black people are and thus figures the risk are less attacking a white person than attacking a black person, even if the inclination to do such is the same.
You made it to represent more black people than just the attackers by suggesting it would be 'special privilege' for a white driver to Not be attacked.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,562 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Would you be saying this if it would have been a black person beaten by a white crowd? I bet not with your friends in the room.
Yes, actually, i would have said it ? does the fact that im honest, unlike you, surprise you ?

Old 04-04-2014, 06:03 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You made it to represent more black people than just the attackers by suggesting it would be 'special privilege' for a white driver to Not be attacked.
Touche

However I suggested nothing of the sort. What I suggested is that crime in Detroit does not give passes based upon color. Its all about motive, means and opportunity.....and color is not usually the motive, usually its drugs, money, women or revenge. I think the motive in this attack was revenge......for what happened to the neighborhood kid.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:14 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Having lived in the Detroit area, I can tell you that there are some severe racial tensions. They beat the guy up and stole his money.

Because he is white.
You're right about that. About a week ago a co-worker of mine was at a McDonald's and a black woman came up to the counter cussing at the employee and complaining that her order was wrong. The (white) woman at the counter apologized and said they'll remake it. The black woman told her no, I'll just go back there and make it myself, and started walking back there. The employees told her she couldn't go back there. She argues with the employee and then gets her in a headlock. A couple of black guys who weren't with this woman see what's going on and decide to jump in on the black woman's side (this is in a largely black neighborhood). One of the guys decks the woman working there (he was arrested later).

A couple of weeks ago there was a similar incident at a Dominoe's in Flint with a black customer assaulting a white employee. The 911 dispatcher (black woman) on the phone with the manager as the employee is getting beaten up, tells her there's no one available then hangs up on her.

Flint police don't respond to assault at Domino's Pizza | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

The type of stuff that goes on here...I've never seen anything like it.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:22 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
You're right about that. About a week ago a co-worker of mine was at a McDonald's and a black woman came up to the counter cussing at the employee and complaining that her order was wrong. The (white) woman at the counter apologized and said they'll remake it. The black woman told her no, I'll just go back there and make it myself, and started walking back there. The employees told her she couldn't go back there. She argues with the employee and then gets her in a headlock. A couple of black guys who weren't with this woman see what's going on and decide to jump in on the black woman's side (this is in a largely black neighborhood). One of the guys decks the woman working there (he was arrested later).

A couple of weeks ago there was a similar incident at a Dominoe's in Flint with a black customer assaulting a white employee. The 911 dispatcher (black woman) on the phone with the manager as the employee is getting beaten up, tells her there's no one available then hangs up on her.

Flint police don't respond to assault at Domino's Pizza | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

The type of stuff that goes on here...I've never seen anything like it.
A black woman decided against a product she purchase but when trying to return it much later than policy allowed. She kept saying "I am an African American woman and I demand you give me my money back".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies