Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 07:07 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,004,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Look man you are trying to pretend and not deal with our national heritage as Americans.

I'm well aware of this country's history. However, we are no longer in the Civil War era, or the Civil Rights era. I wasn't around during those eras, and had NOTHING to do with oppression of black people, nor did any of my ancestors. There is no systematic racism or oppression against black people in 2014. And on a personal level I have no desire to keep you or any other culture down. I'm just an average dude trying to make my way in life, just like you. Going forward that is all that should matter.

Racism in America is a huge part of this nation's heritage. It is a huge part of how European immigrants became "white" and created a shared identity out of their fractures on the continent of Europe, and this identity was created on the basis of white supremacy and black inferiority.

Most European immigrants were white.

It is our national heritage that slavery was so important that 100's of thousands of people died to keep it in existence.

Was slavery part of the reason the Civil War was fought? Sure. It wasn't the only reason.

In Natchez Mississippi a place close to where my mother's family resided at one point in American history there were more millionaires in Natchez country per capita than any where in the nation.

Interesting tidbit. I may have to look that up.

The total value of slaves at one point was greater, than all the money in banks, factories, etc in the whole nation.

This too.

We enacted policy surrounded this idea of race that kept black people out of American society for most of this nation's existence.

However, with the Civil Rights era those policies have been reversed. Black Americans are afforded just as many rights and equal opportunities as those of white Americans.

The new deal policies that many Democrats and liberals love were specifically passed excluding black people. The GI bill, loans to buy houses, social security all originally excluded black people. So the policies that many say contributed to the creation of the American(white) middle class specifically were denied to black Americans.

Again, this no longer happening today.

This doesn't even get to the vicious legalized terrorism that was commonly practiced against black Americans for most of American history in which white people would riot and kill black people around the nation and it happened repeatedly and with zero consequences.

I'm aware of this as well. However; what about white kids living in the inner city getting attacked by black kids as "payback?" Or the guy in Detroit who hit a kid in his car that walked out in front of him, and was beaten by a black mob? What about the LA riots after the Rodney King verdict, where a black mob beat down an innocent truck driver who for no other reason that he was white, and in the wrong place at the wrong time? As with those practices against black people being denounced, it should also be equally denounced when stuff like this happens.

The idea that Americans in their understanding of black Americans aren't influenced by our national heritage is a bizarre claim.

Look, I understand that blacks had it rough in this nation. A lot of that was due to your government and it's policies. However; given that the Civil Rights Movement corrected these horrible actions, at some point when are we going to move on as a society? It seems for some reason that white people alive today should still have to be apologetic for the sins committed by those in our nation's past. Why should I apologize for something that I was no part of? I live in today's world. The past is the past. We live in the here and now. We can't change the past, so what we must do, is learn from it and move on. If my great great grandfather was oppressed by a faction of society, what could I do about it? I wasn't alive at the time. I never met the guy. So it's really hard for me to mourn for someone who while they may be from my blood line, I've never met.

And I note this historical connection when people claim that black Americans have self inflicted wounds.

The idea that the black race is collectively messed up, is broken, are collectively failing as a race of people is a very, very, old idea which is a one of the bedrock principles of racist thought in this nation.

I don't think the black race as a whole is broken. There are many black people who were influencial and helped shaped this country's history because there are those who have risen above the BS, and worked their a** to obtain a better life for themselves. That is the basis of how this country was founded. It is the land of opportunity, and you fail or succeed on your own merit. Having said that though, a lot of the wounds inflicted on black people today are indeed self-inflicted. At any rate, the Civil Rights Movement put to rest any inequality issues for black people in America. That of course doesn't mean that there aren't racist white people, but under law they are not allowed to discriminate, or oppress minorities without repercussions. At some point you have to stop making excuses for the sins of the past, and move forward. To dwell on the past is counter-productive, and further holds you back.

So when I talk about racism, that is what racism means in America. It is not a political ploy but actual American history and policy.

It was part of history, and was part of policy. The systematic policy to oppress black people today does not exist.

By comparison in my view, the medallion and the 5percenters are a sideshow that is 100% meaningless to the lives of Americans.
What you fail to realize is the message they are putting out. Again part of the definition of racism is feeling that another race is inferior to your own. The message that white people are inferior, don't have God in them, and are the devil is indeed a racist message. Again, if you're going to condemn one group for racism, then you should condemn it from all.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:09 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,616,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Sold?

They are killing and slaughtering them.
Was Bundy raising the cattle as pets?

From the local news: "The BLM plans to sell off Bundy's herd."
I-Team: Feds and Nevada rancher facing off over public lands - 8 News NOW

Old 04-11-2014, 07:11 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,683,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
What about the tribe leaders that sold their own people to the Europeans? Forgot that little tibdit, didn't ya?
Africans were not selling "their people" to Europeans. They were selling their enemies in the next town or next tribal territory to the Europeans.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:13 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,683,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, that's revisionist history.
The only fools here are the ones who persist in ignoring historical fact.

Public Lecture:
‘Kidnapped, Transported, Forgotten. White Slave Children in Colonial America, 1660-1720’
Belfast City Council

The lecturer traced the kidnapping and enslavement of nearly 5,290 European White children in just two states, Maryland and Virginia.
And none of those children were kidnapped or enslaved by Africans or their descendants. As well, in the vast majority of cases, European people in Virginia and across America, no matter their status, always had more rights as human beings than Africans or their descendants.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,701,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Was Bundy raising the cattle as pets?

From the local news: "The BLM plans to sell off Bundy's herd."
I-Team: Feds and Nevada rancher facing off over public lands - 8 News NOW

Feds charged with killing cattle in Nevada range war

They are not prepared to hold and transport to auction.

I see this as the same thing the British were doing, when they would come confiscate property and livestock, to pay the tax, prior to the war for our independence.

Give me liberty, or give me death. Only an American has the right to live by that motto.
God Bless this man.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:15 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,616,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Please don't tell us you're with PETA!
Rare steak eater, but nice try.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:16 AM

872 posts, read 829,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Africans were not selling "their people" to Europeans. They were selling their enemies in the next town or next tribal territory to the Europeans.
So it makes it ok, as long as they were not selling "their people"?

Old 04-11-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post

Was that not wrong to do so? Call me crazy, but that was quite immoral on their part.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
So it makes it ok, as long as they were not selling "their people"?

If we're using logic here, then of course not.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:20 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,684,840 times
They have a court ordered injunction that allows them to go take the cattle. Bundy had ample warning to move them, and he's refused every step of the way. Anyone pretending this is the federal government picking on some hapless farmer and overusing their force is just being purposefully ignorant and disingenuous.

When your child continuously ignores your orders, ignores your passive threats of punishment, at some point you swoop in, spank his ass and take his toys away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies