Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 12:45 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Like I said in the post above me, if you're not familiar with the problem I'm talking about, then I suppose there's no cause for you to be concerned. No one's forcing you to participate. If you feel it's irrelevant then leave the thread. Simple as that.
Well what i got from your post was that white people and ignorant black people think ghetto young black kids dont give 2 ****s about education. Thats almost a border line racist comment no?

We can say the same for hispanic and white kids that live in poverty etc. This can go a few different ways..

Best thing people should do is , stay focused, stay out of trouble, and work yourself out of poverty. Make money the clean and honest way, get an education whenever you can. People learn something new everyday.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:47 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Yeah, all of those little Einsteins hanging around the street corners waving their gang signs really care about education. What kind of education? How much to charge for a crack rock? How many rounds fit into my "chopper's" magazine?

Old 04-14-2014, 01:03 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
It all depends on the family.

I come from a black family that values education. In my extended we have a half dozen in Ivy Leagues and over half of my family total has gone to college. I am third generation college.

This isn't necessarily a rarity. Another example is Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson. He is fourth generation college educated IIRC.

*shrug*
It certainly does. I used to live in a mixed neighborhood and the children next door used to stand on the porch and shout "Oreo, Oreo, You're only black on the outside" at the young professional couple across the street. They moved out of the city after the same kids ran their son off of the porch in his wheel chair and then tried to blame my son becasue we're white. It certainly does depend on the family. Not surprisingly, there were two generations of welfare recipients in that family. They lived quite well with three daughters drawing welfare for their own children and mom still drawing for her minor kids. At least they drove nicer cars than me. Of course that was one crowded house. Mom, dad, three grown daughters with kids, a grown son (who slept in his car in the driveway) and a minor child in a 3 bedroom bungalow.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It certainly does. I used to live in a mixed neighborhood and the children next door used to stand on the porch and shout "Oreo, Oreo, You're only black on the outside" at the young professional couple across the street. They moved out of the city after the same kids ran their son off of the porch in his wheel chair and then tried to blame my son becasue we're white. It certainly does depend on the family. Not surprisingly, there were two generations of welfare recipients in that family. They lived quite well with three daughters drawing welfare for their own children and mom still drawing for her minor kids. At least they drove nicer cars than me. Of course that was one crowded house. Mom, dad, three grown daughters with kids, a grown son (who slept in his car in the driveway) and a minor child in a 3 bedroom bungalow.
You sure seem to have an unusually great deal of information about these families. The only thing you didn't tell us was when they got their welfare checks.

I'd be interested in hearing how you knew for a fact that no one in that home had an education or that your son was blamed for harming the handicapped boy simply because he was white.

...that is, of course, if this story is actually true. I find it odd that, in your world, any educated black person automatically qualifies as an "Oreo" and everyone else just so happens to be welfare queens and racist troublemakers. Do you observe the same truths among whites who aren't educated?

Old 04-14-2014, 02:45 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah, all of those little Einsteins hanging around the street corners waving their gang signs really care about education. What kind of education? How much to charge for a crack rock? How many rounds fit into my "chopper's" magazine?
do you think these young people on "street corners" represent the majority of young black people?

Old 04-14-2014, 02:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
thanks for the straw dog talk but i have the experience, and life for a bright and talented black in the hood is not disneyland.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:50 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
I think I get what you are saying OP. from personal experience, I was teased, not so much for my good grades as I was for my taste in music and tv shows. the way I talk, not because it is "proper", but because I have a bit of a valley girl accent. Most people would rib me about it and I was actually friends with most of them. I only experienced this as a serious bullying issue, briefly, in junior high. I still feel very much connected to other black people. It is FAR more offensive to me when non blacks, especially whites, comment on the way I talk or act, like black people can only be a certain way. and yes, this has happened many times.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:52 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
I'll believe it when a flash mob loots a Barnes and Noble.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:55 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
As a black person, I think there's some truth to it, primarily amongst the poorer and poorest blacks rather than the middle class. Unfortunately many middle class blacks absolutely refuse to make any distinction between the two and instead insist on calling these issues "black problems" as if we have this we're all in this together type of mentality. From the outside, I presume that this LOOKS like a "black problem" because we allow it to be categorized that way.

And sure, there are poor whites, Asians, Latinos etc who have similar views as those of poorer blacks, HOWEVER middle/upper white people (especially) have drawn a clear line between the values that they hold between themselves and the poorer ones. Whenever there is a discussion about "white people" be it here, the news and anywhere else--we never really discuss the poor ones and their"bad habits" because we have been trained to discuss those issues as a class distinction rather than a one in the same type issue with middle class whites. You rarely if ever hear them blending the two of them together.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:13 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
It'll never die if you keep bring it up and using it as an excuse every time you want to defend the actions of a young black man who did something wrong.
Right... b/c the way myths and stereotypes die is by people who know the truth, ignoring it...

I find it funny that people who prefer to let ignorance thrive, are the ones who regularly appeal to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies