Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 12:18 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times

Advertisements

"Talking white", "too good for the hood", etc. And other factoids oft repeated by those typically middle-aged and old whites (and arrogant blacks) who have little to no actual experience with young blacks...outside of the evening news, of course. This is the most ridiculous and overblown stereotype about blacks that I wish would just die already.

Coming from this community myself, I can say with absolute certainty that the majority of inner-city blacks do indeed place a value on education. For those who aren't able to get one for themselves, they still congratulate their peers who are able to make it so far. If I had a nickel for every time another young black man or woman told me they had plans to pursue a degree or certificate, I'd have enough money to fund your child's college education.

At the grade school level, you do have teasing aimed at the "nerds" or "good students" and higher value placed on being cool and popular, but, the last time I checked, this was not exclusive to black children.

Enough already.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:26 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,409,783 times
It all depends on the family.

I come from a black family that values education. In my extended we have a half dozen in Ivy Leagues and over half of my family total has gone to college. I am third generation college.

This isn't necessarily a rarity. Another example is Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson. He is fourth generation college educated IIRC.

*shrug*

Old 04-14-2014, 12:29 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,661 times
Cool story , but who cares? Stop worrying about what other people think and do what you gotta do for yourself and family.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
It all depends on the family.

I come from a black family that values education. In my extended we have a half dozen in Ivy Leagues and over half of my family total has gone to college. I am third generation college.

This isn't necessarily a rarity. Another example is Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson. He is fourth generation college educated IIRC.

*shrug*
I'm not sure what this means. One does not have to come from an educated family in order to place value on education, even if you can't personally see yourself excelling past the community college level.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Cool story , but who cares? Stop worrying about what other people think and do what you gotta do for yourself and family.
Who said I was in fact worried? Did I make any mention of losing sleep over this? No. I had an idea to share, so I started a thread where it can be discussed accordingly, just like every other topic in this forum...or did the point of a message board suddenly escape you after 1,000+ posts?

We're not here to change the world. We're here to talk.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:35 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,121,280 times
There are people that value education, and there are people that don't. I don't see what the controversy is here.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:35 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
This is the most ridiculous and overblown stereotype about blacks that I wish would just die already.
It'll never die if you keep bring it up and using it as an excuse every time you want to defend the actions of a young black man who did something wrong.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe'sTavern View Post
There are people that value education, and there are people that don't. I don't see what the controversy is here.
It was made pretty clear in the OP. If you're unfamiliar with what I'm talking about, then it's not directed at you.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:38 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Who said I was in fact worried? Did I make any mention of losing sleep over this? No. I had an idea to share, so I started a thread where it can be discussed accordingly, just like every other topic in this forum...or did the point of a message board suddenly escape you after 1,000+ posts?

We're not here to change the world. We're here to talk.
Talk about what? We can say that about anyone and not just black people. Education is up to the person seeking the education. Whats there to discuss?

Old 04-14-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Talk about what? We can say that about anyone and not just black people. Education is up to the person seeking the education. Whats there to discuss?
Like I said in the post above me, if you're not familiar with the problem I'm talking about, then I suppose there's no cause for you to be concerned. No one's forcing you to participate. If you feel it's irrelevant then leave the thread. Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies