Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 05:15 PM

582 posts, read 778,981 times

Advertisements

If profits are made outside of the US, the US doesn't have any legal or moral right to tax that profit. That would be the same as if Iran tried to tax US companies. What would you think if Russia said that since you made $$$ last year you have to pay income taxes to us. Yet, that is what you are saying about corporations.

You should also note that your articles state that "There is no direct incentive for a company to get a tax break specifically by outsourcing jobs.", "There is no clause in the tax code that rewards a company when it relocates production beyond U.S. borders."

The US taxes corporate profits, it does not tax corporate income. Stating that an expense that reduces profits is some sort of saving is financial nonsense. Since taxes are a percentage of the profit and tax reduction would only be a fraction of the total cost. In other words they would be spending $100 to get $10 in tax reduction. Not a very smart move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 05:22 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,368,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
A vast generalization and vast generalizations are never good arguments. Capital gains are also reinvested in commodities raising the price of those commodities which gives people less to spend which costs us jobs.

All income should be taxed exactly the same way. Income is income.

So having a waiting buyer won't encourage production thereby lowering the price?

Old 04-17-2014, 05:39 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So having a waiting buyer won't encourage production thereby lowering the price?
Sorry, I'm missing the question. I do like to discuss this so I'm not trying to be dismissive.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
I was factually wrong with my tax cut issue. My apologies. The issue is to really get the economy going we need companies to invest in America in ways they haven't in years. We can have as good of a workforce in education and skill but unless they are working and can get jobs whether employed, underemployed, short-term unemployed, long-term unemployed or entering from school, the companies will not have long-term success in America and it maybe India and China's economy that will be the new global center.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:54 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Good lord. "put guy X in office during the biggest recession in your lifetime and people will lose thieir jobs!" Followed by "See?"

Thats like saying "if you are a bad person it will rain in your state!" While living in Oregon....then when the inevitable rain occurs its "SEE!"

And again ignoring the FACT that Obama is just a president, he isn't some all powerful being that can create laws and pass them......sigh.

ODS Obama Derangement Syndrome.
Funny! I suspect that you're pretty young and it is the worst recession in your lifetime, but I remember much worse ones. Reagan came into office with a much worse economy than Obama. This recession was based in one segment of the economy, while we still had historically low interest and inflation rates. Reagan inherited interest rates in the high teens, runaway inflation, a Soviet Union that was ahead of us militarily and expanding and higher unemployment. In spite of that the economy was turned around in about 2 years, and booming after 4. Obama's recession is still on going in large part due to Obama's policies.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Funny! I suspect that you're pretty young and it is the worst recession in your lifetime, but I remember much worse ones. Reagan came into office with a much worse economy than Obama. This recession was based in one segment of the economy, while we still had historically low interest and inflation rates. Reagan inherited interest rates in the high teens, runaway inflation, a Soviet Union that was ahead of us militarily and expanding and higher unemployment. In spite of that the economy was turned around in about 2 years, and booming after 4. Obama's recession is still on going in large part due to Obama's policies.
Depending on which economist you ask, Obama got swore in in the middle of the recession or the darkest part of it. Interest rates were low but COULD have risen if not for different programs including QE.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:04 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,336,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I was factually wrong with my tax cut issue. My apologies. The issue is to really get the economy going we need companies to invest in America in ways they haven't in years. We can have as good of a workforce in education and skill but unless they are working and can get jobs whether employed, underemployed, short-term unemployed, long-term unemployed or entering from school, the companies will not have long-term success in America and it maybe India and China's economy that will be the new global center.
Won't happen until Obama is gone.

Then it will have to be a better president than him for business people to invest.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Won't happen until Obama is gone.

Then it will have to be a better president than him for business people to invest.
If Romney was president, it wouldn't be any different, I doubt the Senate and the House could get along with Boehner and Reid in control.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:23 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,590,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Illegal immigration may be increasing once again. However, most of the new criminal illegal aliens sneaking into the US are from countries other than Mexico.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/24/us...show.html?_r=0
Oh look jobs. Where? Over there:

Americans are Leaving the Country - War Is Crime

Also, check dates on articles reports and emigration is the key word:

Returning to Mexico: Why Mexican Immigrants Are Leaving the US - The Epoch Times

See fact. The largest employer of the United States is the United States Government. The private sector is gone, it's out of here. With the the U.S. high rank of 10 on the scale for economic freedoms I don't think it is coming back any time soon. It won't matter who is in the White House. They will just be the one for every one to point their finger at.

Tax dollars at work, meeting payroll. At least some one is getting paid. Take another look at that debt (& deficit) bill and wonder no longer why it continues to increase.

The cut off of unemployment not helping people find work? Could be they are not applying to the U.S. Government for a job.

America isn't what is use to be and it will never be what it once was.

People did not come here for a hand out. It is presumptuous of people to believe that they did.

So the trend in the job creation area is to continue to build the government there by creating more jobs within the government and put all Americans to work as government employees.

I know of a country historically speaking that was like that once. Those that know of the country I am thinking of, how'd that work out for them?

The good news is---immigration is fixing itself.

Oh, afoigrokerkok: criminal illegals are not looking for a 9 - 5 job. They still may be a threat to a person's wallet being stolen, though. But it won't matter. Jokes on them. There'd be no money in it.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:03 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Im 43, so not young, not old yet....

Reagen inherited interest rates driven up by the fed for no apparent reason. The soviets economy was already sucky, and he made some rather questionable choices.

That being said, he was a good man, trying to do his best and he did some things right as well.

The soviet union was NEVER ahead of us militarily.

And the comparison between what he inherited vs's today is pitiful. Seriously, its the difference between "oh my I burnt the toast", and "OMG I lit the house on fire"

Wow...massive recessions are harder then small regular ones. And his policies? Really? You dont even get specific, its just "his policies"

You DO know we have a house and a senate as well....right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies