Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:41 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresthebeeef View Post
Been reading a lot of the debate here about global warming and whether or not it's man made, natural and how bad it is. I am starting to wonder and worry if it might be global cooling we need to worry about. Record snowfall, cold, in many places this winter, some places getting snow that never got snow before. What are the chances that we could be headed for new mini-ice age or maybe end to this interglaciation that we are overdue for?
The chances of that happening are extremely unlikely. While it is true that eventually the current interglacial period will come to an end and we will experience another ~100,000 years of glaciation, there will be some tell-tale signs when that is happening. For example, currently the majority of all the glaciers are retreating. You will know when this interglacial period begins to end when the majority of glaciers start advancing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:06 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,446,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No.

It hasn't warmed in over 17 years.

Prove it.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:17 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,789,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Now take the average from that graph you gleefully posted and what do you get?

It hasn't warmed in over 17 years.
How do you constantly regurgitate obvious falsehoods?
1.) Find a leftist fanatic so confused that he automatically assumes the truth isn't true;
2.) Tell him the truth.

Anything else I can help you with?

Old 04-22-2014, 09:31 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,507,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Yes, that is in fact very likely in many parts of the globe. Global climate change can cause rapid cooling due to its affects on ocean currents. Ocean currents dictate localized climates more aggressively than warming. Ocean currents are the reason Seattle, Vancouver, and Portland are significantly warmer than Montreal despite being futher north. Ocean currents are the reason NYC, Boston, and Western Europe have "subtropical" climate patterns, despite their lattitude.

Oh my goodness. Stop

(Note to mods: The following image is a direct link from the NOAA data found here, which is publicly available data.)
But another way to describe those temperatures is a plateau, where temperatures have leveled off and stopped rising. One can find a temperature here that is a bit higher, and there that is a bit lower, but neither should be indicative of temperature increases or decreases over the 15 year period. It looks more like there are revolving around a mean plateau temperature.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
The graph you linked to doesn't appear to show any temperature rise over the past 15 years, (although I would note that it is including ocean as well as atmosphere temperatures. I wasn't following this thread closely, so perhaps you posted to prove a non-rise in temperatures?

Old 04-22-2014, 09:38 AM

679 posts, read 615,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
The graph you linked to doesn't appear to show any temperature rise over the past 15 years, (although I would note that it is including ocean as well as atmosphere temperatures. I wasn't following this thread closely, so perhaps you posted to prove a non-rise in temperatures?
Are we looking at the same graph? The one that was shown in the link fairly obviously shows that there hasn't even been a zero or negative change in temperature since the early 90's

Old 04-22-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Are we looking at the same graph? The one that was shown in the link fairly obviously shows that there hasn't even been a zero or negative change in temperature since the early 90's
To me it looks like there was an increase from about 85 to the late 90's, but if we plotted a mean line from about 15 years ago (98 or 99 time frame) it would be fairly flat.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:49 AM

679 posts, read 615,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
To me it looks like there was an increase from the early 85 to the late 90's, but if we plotted a mean line from about 15 years ago (98 or 99 time frame) it would be fairly flat.
Are you looking at this graph as if it was the actual temperature? If so then how do you interpret the current value of the graph being 0.70 Deg C listed at the tite? This is a graph of temperature change and as such the last time it was at 0 or in the negative range was clearly right about 1994.

Yes you are correct that the mean line for about 15 years of the graph would be considered fairly flat but that just means the rate of change is constant over that period, not zero. It seems like for the past 15 years the rate of change has been around a constant of 0.6 Deg C

Old 04-22-2014, 09:51 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresthebeeef View Post
Been reading a lot of the debate here about global warming and whether or not it's man made, natural and how bad it is. I am starting to wonder and worry if it might be global cooling we need to worry about. Record snowfall, cold, in many places this winter, some places getting snow that never got snow before. What are the chances that we could be headed for new mini-ice age or maybe end to this interglaciation that we are overdue for?
They will call it what ever you will believe allowing them to take more of your money. I hear it has now changed to climate change. Duh! Of course the climate changes lol

Good thing the Obama admin was not in power when the human race was changing from Ape into Man, they might have tried to stop that too.

EVERYTHING changes. geeze people stop thinking you can control everything.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:57 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
If AGW is happening it is due to all the hot air spewed by the alarmists.

Self fulfilling prophecy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies