Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What's the big frickin' deal, the guy was unconscious. I have to think that people that spend their days rotorooting people's butts have to find humor where ever they can.
I'm sorry, I find so-called professionals making nasty comments and jokes about a patient or their anatomy unacceptable.

What if they were laughing and making nasty comments about your loved one.....your wife, your daughter, your son? Making jokes about your son's penis or your teen daughter's breasts?

Would that be OK with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:51 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
This was an outpatient colonoscopy, not open heart surgery.
Even outpatient, you wear nothing but a hospital gown, because they require a sterile environment, and you ARE given anesthesia, so you have to have a driver.

I say bull.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:00 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
This was a colonoscopy.....not an invasive surgery like an appendectomy that requires a completely sterile environment.

The patient probably put his phone in his pants pocket and his clothes were left in the procedure room.

Sounds perfectly plausible to me.
I had an out-patient colonoscopy last year. The first thing was going into a very large ward with a dozen or so partitioned off cubes each containing a surgical bed. I was instructed to remove all clothing, put on a gown, put those clothes as well as glasses, watch, cell phone in a bag which was then tied to foot of the bed. Then I was wheeled into the surgical room, the colonoscopy was done and then I was wheeled to a dressing cubicle, got dressed and my wife drove us home. I remember very little afterwards for an hour or so as I was under sedation.

This was at a major hospital. I assume the procedures are fairly similar at other facilities. There was no way to record anything. in fact, the drug procedure started before I got to the surgical room, I do remember it slightly but not in a lot of detail.

Sorry, I don't believe this happened.

BTW, in a colonoscopy you are NOT wearing pants.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Totally believable. Doctors aren't the staid upright professionals most people assume.
They are human. Most coworkers engage in trash talk about their customers, from time to time. Why are MDs held to a higher standard?

Trash talk says more about the speaker than the target.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:17 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,784,543 times
Medical staff joke around all the time when patients are unconscious.

Agree this is very inconsiderate of the staff involved. Does it make you wonder why they are suing the anesthesia company and not the GI doctor? Read the article again. They are suing the anesthesia company and not the anesthesiologists or the gastroenterologist.

Does this sound peculiar to you?

Maybe because the anesthesia company called safe sedation. They changed their name recently to aisthesis - Partners in Anesthesia Care | Ambulatory Anesthesia Solutions | Outpatient Surgery Anesthesia Services | Skilled Anesthesiologists & CRNAs

And have a ton of private equity money.

Makes you wonder. Right? In the end it's always about the money trail. Sue the company that has millions in capital.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:18 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What's the big frickin' deal, the guy was unconscious. I have to think that people that spend their days rotorooting people's butts have to find humor where ever they can.
True that!!! I'd hate having looking up some fat guys bunghole! I worked in a car shop for awhile as a youth. You should have heard some of the comments flying around the shop when the customers aren't around....

Old 04-23-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I had an out-patient colonoscopy last year. The first thing was going into a very large ward with a dozen or so partitioned off cubes each containing a surgical bed. I was instructed to remove all clothing, put on a gown, put those clothes as well as glasses, watch, cell phone in a bag which was then tied to foot of the bed. Then I was wheeled into the surgical room, the colonoscopy was done and then I was wheeled to a dressing cubicle, got dressed and my wife drove us home. I remember very little afterwards for an hour or so as I was under sedation.

This was at a major hospital. I assume the procedures are fairly similar at other facilities. There was no way to record anything. in fact, the drug procedure started before I got to the surgical room, I do remember it slightly but not in a lot of detail.

Sorry, I don't believe this happened.

If you had been recording post op instructions on your phone, forgot to turn it off, and it was in that bag with your clothes, tied to the foot of the bed you had the procedure on, why wouldn't it have recorded what was said?

And, all clinics aren't set up the same. What if his pants, with his phone in the pocket, still recording, were in a curtained off area of the procedure room where the patient changes into a gown?

Quote:
No **** Sherlock.....did I say you are?

Old 04-23-2014, 08:30 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
People may find it "unacceptable" but it happens none the less. Kind of like how we talk about our friends and family behind their back. Don't pretend you never do.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:44 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
If you had been recording post op instructions on your phone, forgot to turn it off, and it was in that bag with your clothes, tied to the foot of the bed you had the procedure on, why wouldn't it have recorded what was said?

And, all clinics aren't set up the same. What if his pants, with his phone in the pocket, still recording, were in a curtained off area of the procedure room where the patient changes into a gown?

No **** Sherlock.....did I say you are?
Nope, they asked. All electronic devices turned off. No exceptions.

As I wrote, this was out-patient at a large hospital. Very business like. The surgery rooms themselves didn't even have doors. Probably half dozen of these same kind of procedures going on at the same time with different doctors. The doctor I had scheduled 6-8 of them for that day himself.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Nope, they asked. All electronic devices turned off. No exceptions.

As I wrote, this was out-patient at a large hospital. Very business like. The surgery rooms themselves didn't even have doors. Probably half dozen of these same kind of procedures going on at the same time with different doctors. The doctor I had scheduled 6-8 of them for that day himself.
And what if you forgot to turn it off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies