Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 05:48 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,533,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Seems if you arent a part of some minority group you are being outcasted in america these days. I feel sorry for the future...
Seems like you had your chance at being in charge and completely abused the privilege all over the world.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:54 AM

8,993 posts, read 21,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Libertarian View Post
I think Blacks men and Muslims/Arab men (and to a much lesser extent Hispanics) in the US DO have it harder on average than Whites....Some of it is there own doing and some of it is societies doing....However, what I don't like is when Women lump themselves in with Blacks and Minorities....White Women have it the EASIEST of any race/gender/group in the US....Women in general also have it easier than men of their respective race...

White Women are the most entitled "privileged" group in society....Yet they lump themselves in as if they have shared the experienced of Black and Arab Men....LOL....It is true that Women historically haven't had the same rights as Men, but they also haven't had even remotely as many responsibilities/hard ships as men have had throughout human history (I don't recall Women crawling on the beaches during DDay getting mowed down by machine gun fire) so it's a trade off....Kind of like a Captive Polar Bear vs a Wild Polar Bear.....The Captive Polar Bear doesn't have as much freedom as the Wild Polar Bear does, but which Bear has the easier life??? The Captive one by far.

Black Men in the US on the other hand have gotten a raw deal historically....They historically haven't had the same rights as White Men, yet they have still had just as many hardships/responsibilities as White Men have had (Black Men were over represented in terms of causalities in Vietnam/WW2/The Iraq War...etc)

My Uncle served with many Black Americans in the Vietnam war and he was very impressed with their bravery and skill in combat...

As for Gays....I think in most places they are at absolutely no disadvantage compared to Heteros (hell they may even have an edge over Heteros in some places)

I'm with you on a lot of this but disagree regarding women as well as the gay and lesbian community.

It's not as if women have had the choice over history to take leading roles high in leadership, salary or physical risk. In the US, despite a roughly 50/50 split, women are still far under-represented in the higher levels of government and business. Because (straight) women who choose to bear children also often take on the majority of the child-rearing responsibilities - even if they are working full-time themselves - their earning potential can be stifled. That said, female soldiers may not have been in the trenches during D-Day but they sure were (or are) in places like Baghdad and Kabul.

I'll grant you that in the socioeconomic totem pole, straight white women may be higher than most categories but definitely not in a "privileged" position IMO.

Regarding gays and lesbians, they are in a disadvantage in the majority of states where same-sex civil marriage is not allowed or recognized. There may be some truth to the (stereo)typical male couple who can maximize their earning power often without the expense of raising children...but not every such couple is upper-middle class and above. Presuming both halves of a female couple are relatively underpaid compared to their male colleagues - even if they don't raise children - then they are dealing with another obstacle. Add a racial or minority status to that and the challenges for a male (and especially female) couple may become exponentially worse.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:10 AM
NCN

21,667 posts, read 25,692,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Seems if you arent a part of some minority group you are being outcasted in america these days. I feel sorry for the future...
We just watched the Sterling episode with a lot of joking. MY husband made about the exact statement you just made after I asked him a question.

My question was, "How do you take an illegal private conversation and use it to fine another person." I don't care a thing about the ball teams or owners, but what happened was wrong. His conversation with that girl was nobody's business but theirs.

He then went on to say that you cannot say anything about any minority, gay person, liberal ideas, etc. but you better not be a white male straight Baptist because they are open game. You can bash them any way you want to.

Can you imagine someone being fined because they were bashing a white male straight Baptist. But to that person the statements are just as offensive as the remarks made about minorities. I think America needs a reality check.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:33 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,434,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Must have read the book written by the NAACP. Now whites are whining and minorities don't like it, Huhn?? Too bad, so sad.
No, I'm a white woman who was given heavy scholarships to my elite private high school because I brought up the test scores of the dumb rich kids and then received academically based scholarships to my Ivy League college. On the other hand I've spent a lot of time in trailer parks hanging out with "victims" who were a lot like the OP.

"I'm doomed to fail because I'm a white male."

No, you're doomed to fail because you never cracked a book for anything but a school assignment and probably not too much then.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:36 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,387,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We just watched the Sterling episode with a lot of joking. MY husband made about the exact statement you just made after I asked him a question.

My question was, "How do you take an illegal private conversation and use it to fine another person." I don't care a thing about the ball teams or owners, but what happened was wrong. His conversation with that girl was nobody's business but theirs.

He then went on to say that you cannot say anything about any minority, gay person, liberal ideas, etc. but you better not be a white male straight Baptist because they are open game. You can bash them any way you want to.

Can you imagine someone being fined because they were bashing a white male straight Baptist. But to that person the statements are just as offensive as the remarks made about minorities. I think America needs a reality check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
We aren't politically correct, we are just correct.
That "rationale", which can be translated to "The end justifies the means", is associated with too many of the names which history has written in blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I don't think he'll do that, nor does he want to.
The poster's degree of sincerity is a moot point. A little Fascism is just like a little malignancy.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:46 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,449,431 times
Never ever thought white males had any issues until my husband tried to get a job when he was laid off. Wow, what a politically correct vomit tornado that is. Female? Nope. African American? No. Veteran? Nope. American Indian? Nope. Hispanic? No.

Sorry, no job for you! Oh, certainly you're qualified, in fact you might be the best qualified, but we have to meet certain EEOC requirements.

And so the standards in the workforce continue to get lower and lower...

Idiocracy much?

Old 04-30-2014, 06:48 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,109,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Never ever thought white males had any issues until my husband tried to get a job when he was laid off. Wow, what a politically correct vomit tornado that is. Female? Nope. African American? No. Veteran? Nope. American Indian? Nope. Hispanic? No.

We don't even look at those pages of an application until the preferred candidate has been selected.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:50 AM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
That "rationale", which can be translated to "The end justifies the means", is associated with too many of the names which history has written in blood.

The poster's degree of sincerity is a moot point. A little Fascism is just like a little malignancy.
There is right and there is wrong and the end never justifies the means. I find the hypersensitivity and the immaturity of many minorities to be beyond imagination. I don't care if someone calls me a bunch of names; but our constitution protects us from being fined for our political beliefs. You can like or not like anything you want to. Unfortunately this generation does not understand "freedom of speech." I find the actions of these ball teams to be communistic. In other words, "You have to think just like me or we will ban you." I see a short life for a country this intolerant.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:53 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,109,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
There is right and there is wrong and the end never justifies the means. I find the hypersensitivity and the immaturity of many minorities to be beyond imagination. I don't care if someone calls me a bunch of names; but our constitution protects us from being fined for our political beliefs. You can like or not like anything you want to. Unfortunately this generation does not understand "freedom of speech." I find the actions of these ball teams to be communistic. In other words, "You have to think just like me or we will ban you." I see a short life for a country this intolerant.

It's interesting that you seem to not understand what freedom of speech in the Constitution is about. It is about freedom from government censorship. It is not freedom from consequences for one's words in a private business setting.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:56 AM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's interesting that you seem to not understand what freedom of speech in the Constitution is about. It is about freedom from government censorship. It is not freedom from consequences for one's words in a private business setting.
Where is the private business setting in a man having a private telephone conversation with his girlfriend. I think he has grounds to sue for an invasion of his privacy. You are the one that does not understand "freedom of speech." But is it any surprise that you don't with our own government keeping tapes of our private conversations? Everything said in the world is not your business unless the person talking was talking to you. Americans have a right to privacy, or should. It is in communism where the government owns everything and has a right to tell you what to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies