Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:56 AM

8,993 posts, read 21,219,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Im still trying to figure out what "privelege" I have over non whites, LGBT, Women, etc.....
Not too long ago, there was a thread over in the Great Debates forum discussing a "White Privilege Conference" that ironically seemed to be helmed primarily by white people. Somewhere on the thread, someone posted a link about perceived advantages of being a white person. The short version was: all other things equal, there are neutral-to-positive presumptions that a white person has, without even thinking about it, that many other minorities in a similar position or situation cannot or do not take for granted. Add being male to the equation and one might believe that said advantages or unperceived assumptions are multiplied.

Regarding women and the LGBT community, I refer you back to my own post #32.

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-01-2014 at 07:43 AM..

Old 04-30-2014, 08:00 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,863,737 times
Quote:
Seems if you arent a part of some minority group you are being outcasted in america these days. I feel sorry for the future...
I'm a straight white man.

All I can say is that your whining and sniveling is pathetic.

Look around you. Non-Hispanic whites are approximately 64% of the population. Men are about 49% of the population. Straights are somewhere around 97% of the population. Do the math - us straight white men are somewhere around 30% of the American population.

Now look at Congress. Look at governors. Look at mayors and city council members and CEOs and university presidents and doctors and attorneys and LEOs and teachers and professors and so on and so on and so on - every group that wields power is made up of straight white men in numbers far disproportionate to our population. We have every advantage in life.

And yet you wring your hands and pout like you're oppressed.

Grow up.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:06 AM

790 posts, read 1,273,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Now look at Congress. Look at governors. Look at mayors and city council members and CEOs and university presidents and doctors and attorneys and LEOs and teachers and professors and so on and so on and so on - every group that wields power is made up of straight white men in numbers far disproportionate to our population. We have every advantage in life.

So you are basically saying that those people got where they are simply by being white men?

LOL strong logic with this one

Old 04-30-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I'm a straight white man.

All I can say is that your whining and sniveling is pathetic.

Look around you. Non-Hispanic whites are approximately 64% of the population. Men are about 49% of the population. Straights are somewhere around 97% of the population. Do the math - us straight white men are somewhere around 30% of the American population.

And yet you wring your hands and pout like you're oppressed.

Grow up.
It has been estimated that gay, lesbian and bisexual people comprise between 10-15% of the population. Of course, some of them may not be open about that.

Other than that... !

Old 04-30-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
So you are basically saying that those people got where they are simply by being white men?
I'd imagine in many cases that it didn't hurt.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:13 AM

24,681 posts, read 17,422,027 times
It isn't a crime to be a heterosexual white male in this country (yet) but it certainly isn't popular or even in fashion at the moment. Some people are taking this White guilt thing way too seriously.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:29 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,628,094 times
Default Yep...

Quote:
Seems if you arent a part of some minority group you are being outcasted in america these days. I feel sorry for the future...
We white guys have it tough in America.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:53 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,533,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
There is right and there is wrong and the end never justifies the means. I find the hypersensitivity and the immaturity of many minorities to be beyond imagination. I don't care if someone calls me a bunch of names; but our constitution protects us from being fined for our political beliefs. You can like or not like anything you want to. Unfortunately this generation does not understand "freedom of speech." I find the actions of these ball teams to be communistic. In other words, "You have to think just like me or we will ban you." I see a short life for a country this intolerant.
I think YOU don't understand "freedom of speech." In fact, I have been completely floored at how uneducated people openly are about our rights.

This is not a freedom of speech issue.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:57 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,602,006 times
Yeah, straight white men have it just so awful. Boo. Hoo. Hoo. Lol, I'm assuming this is a facetious topic.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:06 AM

790 posts, read 1,273,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yeah, straight white men have it just so awful. Boo. Hoo. Hoo. Lol, I'm assuming this is a facetious topic.
See, they wont stop until we are all silenced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies