Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:12 PM

924 posts, read 667,037 times

Advertisements

Then the penguins can just educate themselves with skills necessary to sustain their lifestyle on another continent.

However, I don't want no dirty stinkin penggers sneakin in to my country and takin my jobs...

Old 05-14-2014, 07:00 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
I made this point in the other thread on this.

It's silly to get wrapped around the axle because of some real or imagined political agenda.

The fact is, it doesn't matter what's causing the melting. We probably can't do anything to stop it anyway.

So the real issue is: How do we cope with it? It makes no sense to stick our heads in the sand and scream about global warming.

We should be looking at improved infrastructure and better building techniques.

Infrastructure in particular is a very long term project. A hundred years is really not much at all. Hoover Dam and the Golden Gate bridge are already 80 years old, and much of the interstate system is nearing 60.

The science indicates that we'll have between 200 and 900 years to deal with the effects of the Antarctic melting. So why not at least start planning for it now? Why sit around and bellow about global warming for another 100 years?

Old 05-14-2014, 08:02 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,727,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
BBQ a steak and drink a ice cold beer and enjoy the evening LOL at the news of Alec Baldwin bike riding incident since what else can you to not get a kick out of it the world is full of ups and down and we cannot even save mankind from ourselves so how can we save the whole planet.

I agree, they talk about terraforming mars? if we cant solve the problems here on earth how are we going to terra form other planets.. by time the sea level rises like 12 feet we will have stripped this planet bare! for every coal plant America scraps china and India will build 10 fold negating any benefit.. the cycle will go on and on..

Old 05-14-2014, 08:33 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,172 times
We can just cap the volcano with cement. That would solve it. Duh

Old 05-14-2014, 10:14 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
More fear in the form of...

... photorealistic images of U.S. city scenes under different future scenarios. One scenario was 12 feet of sea level rise — right in the middle of the range now predicted due to the collapse of key Antarctic glaciers under way. Here is what some classic American city scenes would look like today with that much extra ocean.

These stunning photos show what iconic U.S. locations look like after 12 feet of sea level rise

More artwork at the link.

Beware - melting ice will happen in a split second...

I would have year around Jetski races, in the stadium setting.
Money maker!

Old 05-14-2014, 10:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,319,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
It's not all about taxes.

It is literally a case of certain people getting off their fat behinds and walking 30 minutes to the store instead of taking the car every single time, shutting off the lights, buying only what you need, taking the bus, carpooling, or biking. Things like checking the ingredients in your food to make sure it doesn't contain palm oil or anything that is the product of deforestation.

Smaller homes, smaller cars, demanding better infrastructure, not just passively mindless consuming-- all of these things help.

But some people won't do it because they are too selfish, stupid and lazy, and this is America and nobody can tell me what to do in my own house.
Cool! I finally meet someone else who eschews palm oil! Most people are clueless.
Or don't give a crap.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:33 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
More fear in the form of...

... photorealistic images of U.S. city scenes under different future scenarios. One scenario was 12 feet of sea level rise — right in the middle of the range now predicted due to the collapse of key Antarctic glaciers under way. Here is what some classic American city scenes would look like today with that much extra ocean.

These stunning photos show what iconic U.S. locations look like after 12 feet of sea level rise

More artwork at the link.

Beware - melting ice will happen in a split second...
THANK YOU for the very apt illustrations of my big question that nobody has ever answered:

IF THE DOOMSAYERS ARE RIGHT, WHY IN THE WORLD IS NOTHING BEING DONE TO ALLEVIATE THE INEVITABLE CONSEQUENCES OF GLOBAL WARMING? IT SEEMS "THEY" WANT TO WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING! WHY, WHY, WHY??

Old 05-15-2014, 07:58 AM

24,391 posts, read 23,048,028 times
Now do a picture where cities are frozen under a mile high glacier. Maybe some giant robots would be cool.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:55 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So the real issue is: How do we cope with it? It makes no sense to stick our heads in the sand and scream about global warming.
How do you cope? Easy, you and people like you save your money so you can afford the costs associated with it, including abandoning your poor choice of location to move to a safer or better location.

Coping...

Mircea

Old 05-15-2014, 10:22 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,448,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
We can just cap the volcano with cement. That would solve it. Duh
Don't give the academia nuts any ideas. I'm sure they've been thinking of a way to put a giant cork in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies