Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 06:45 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
You can stop at "we have a problem here with mentally ill people.'

The reality is that this kid was SERIOUSLY mentally ill. The 'media' is reporting that he had been in counseling in one form or another since he was a child.

Normal, mentally-healthy people do not commit mass murder with guns, knives, baseball bats, or any other form of weapon. They just don't. The grieving dad's son didn't die because nobody responded to Sandy Hook. The grieving dad's son died because a MENTALLY ILL person -- who should have been locked up, just like we do to all dangerous things (rapists, murders, and rabid dogs) -- decided he would exact revenge on people for his own shortcomings.

The mentally ill/BigPharma aspect will always get cast aside in situations like this, because it is so much easier to demonize guns. The solution to events like this is to increase our spending on mental health. We've decimated our mental healthcare system at a time when more of us (not me, thankfully) are on some form of prescription medication. We're a heavily medicated (i.e. BigPharma) society, and we're starting to see the impact of the adverse effects of psychiatric medication. Mentally unstable people need to be treated, and by treated, I don't mean left to their own devices, driving around Santa Barbara in a 3-series BMW.
The kid was getting mental health treatment. At what stage in his life do you think he should have been locked up? What percentage of the mentally ill should be locked up?

One of the reasons for the second amendment is so the government cannot just go around locking up those who have never committed a crime.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:47 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
His comments are irrational. Someone should cut off his megaphone until he can get his emotions in check.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Somehow I can't take YOU seriously. Gun deaths way out number stabbing deaths. Likely if he only had a knife, those would have been the only deaths.

I'm not for "taking all the guns", but we have a problem here with mentally ill people being able to access guns. This has resulted in multiple tragedies over the last couple of years. You can stick your head in the ground if you want, or throw up red herrings such as this-- but in the end the problem needs to be dealt with.

I think we have enough dead kids due to this-- Don't you?
Due to what? I assume you are referring to mental illness and gun ownership.

My question to you is this: Can you prove to us that this kid was professionally diagnosed with a clinical mental illness under the laws of the State of California? If he wasn't clinically diagnosed as mentally ill under the laws of the State of California, then what exactly do you propose should have been done to prevent him from purchasing a gun (assuming he even purchased the gun to begin with!)?

Old 05-28-2014, 06:50 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
His comments are irrational. Someone should cut off his megaphone until he can get his emotions in check.
I think they are rational I suspect he is looking at the lucrative making money off your dead child market---- books, speaking circuit, etc.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:50 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
He's a damn crybaby. I remember an era when men were men.
They still are around our neck of the woods.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The kid was getting mental health treatment. At what stage in his life do you think he should have been locked up? What percentage of the mentally ill should be locked up?

One of the reasons for the second amendment is so the government cannot just go around locking up those who have never committed a crime.
Receiving therapy does not mean he was mentally ill. Can anyone prove to us that Rodger was clinically diagnosed as mentally ill under the laws of the State of California? I've yet to see/hear that as confirmed.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:52 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yes. It's totally irrational to be grieving the sudden and violent death of your child.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Yes. It's totally irrational to be grieving the sudden and violent death of your child.
Obtuse Post of the Day.™ Congratulations!

Old 05-28-2014, 06:57 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Richard Martinez on California shootings: 'My kid died because nobody responded to Sandy Hook'

Martinez lost his son, Christopher, in Friday's shooting rampage

He asked 'What has changed?' since Sandy Hook and other mass killings

Richard Martinez lost his 20-year-old son Christopher Martinez in Friday's killing spree in Isla Vista, California. Martinez was at a local convenience store buying a sandwich when he was fatally shot in a barrage of bullets fired by Elliot Rodger.

Martinez told CNN's Kyung Lah he is heartbroken and devastated by his loss, but he wants his son's death to mean something. At one point, he yells: "My kid died because nobody responded to Sandy Hook!"

Grieving dad: 'I can't tell you how angry I am' | HLNtv.com

His kid died, because it is a big bad world out there.
His kid died, because he the parent, never taught him how to defend himself and others from all forms of aggression.
His kid died, because he lived in a false sense of security, being raised to be the over protected victim.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:59 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I imagine you would be one of those people who would tell a grieving parent of a Sandy Hook victim that their child never existed, right? And we wonder why we can't have an honest discussion about gun violence in this country.
No, we don't wonder that at all. You can't have have honesty with liars. You can't have a discussion with people who are only interested in getting their own way. Therefore, you can't have an honest discussion with gun control advocates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies