Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 01:29 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think we need to Lock anybody up, just ban mentally ill from getting firearms. But then again, I am sure a lot of people still have problems with that.
Try to define "mentally ill"

Old 05-27-2014, 01:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
We know it's possible.

We just have to weigh the solutions and what problems those solutions will cause. And decide where our priorities lie.

Your insistence that a total ban is the only solution is just an NRA talking point that tries the frame the discussion.

A total ban isn't the only solution.
The problem is the abuse of the system that led to this very narrow set of legal rules to not allow people with mental illness access to guns.

And advocates for rights of the mentally ill are already out there in force.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:31 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
If he was severely mentally ill and from all reports this is well documented then how did he LEGALLY purchase the guns he did? Why aren't you blaming the gun shops for selling him the guns?
Where do you see he was diagnosed as severely mentally ill? The only reference I see is the fact that he's been in therapy for a long time, and he was suspected as Aspergers but never diagnosed. Please point me to where it was well documented that he was severely mentally ill.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:31 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Try to define "mentally ill"
First step, somebody who have a diagnosed mentally ill. Currently in therapy or taking drugs. First step.

I said I have no answers but that would be my suggestion.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Nope. Look at the IRS scandal. What if our govt decided that being of a certain political persuasion meant you were mentally ill? Not so far fetched, really.

And what is mentally ill anyway? We have a whole generation of kids that have been raised on mood altering drugs. Attention deficit, autistic, Aspergers, bi-polar. Where would it end?

The price was pay for living in a free society is sometimes a high one.
Look at our history. People got committed to mental institutions for far less.
And it was all above board and legal and went through the court system.

We did this to ourselves.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:32 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
I don't think we need to Lock anybody up, just ban mentally ill from getting firearms. But then again, I am sure a lot of people still have problems with that.
How do you keep the mentally ill from obtaining guns?

National mental illness check before buying a gun? NRA would throw a fit

National ID? Republicans would throw a fit

Ban the person to person sale of firearms? NRA would throw a fit.

Its not feasible to say "Just keep them from obtaining guns".

Really the only two options are to ban firearms, which I don't support (although I do understand logical gun control on magazine size, again, not going to fly with 51% of the country, sorry), or we start putting the mentally ill back in facilities to protect the rest of us.

I mean, we could hold parents accountable for their childrens actions, but this was a grown man. He was in college, over 18. His parents were doing everything right, even reported him to the police. What more could they have done?

Its either lock up/make guns illegal, or lock up the mentally ill. There isn't much middle ground. Since guns are a non starter, we have to look at the mentally ill.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:34 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The NRA does not stand in the way of keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.

The NRA points out that the only effective way to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, is to keep guns out of the hands of every person on earth.

And the NRA stands in the way of efforts to keep guns out of the hands of every person on earth.... exactly as they should.
And the NRA is trying to re-frame the argument. Their position, that any restrictions on gun ownership or gun access, is useless, is patently untrue.

I fully support the 2nd Amendment. I don't care how many weapons you own, or what your reasons are for having the guns.

But I do care if you are psychotic and violent and you have access to those weapons. I care because I value life, and the people that died this past weekend died for nothing, except to fulfill a mentally-ill person's objectives. That's a terrible waste. And we see such waste too often in this country.

Last edited by DC at the Ridge; 05-27-2014 at 01:44 PM..

Old 05-27-2014, 01:35 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Like I said, a lot of debates, no solutions.

People just ask each other these questions "HOW?" I don't know how

But I don't know how to answer this devastating father's question either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW_raNDQprU

Obviously we need to do something, don't you think? He needs to realize that California had the most strict gun law, but mentally ill can still get it. That is the reality. How do we solve the problem? Maybe somebody else can answer this question.

Quote:
First step, somebody who have a diagnosed mentally ill. Currently in therapy or taking drugs. First step.

I said I have no answers but that would be my suggestion.
People go to therapy for anxiety disorders, loss of a child, divorce, a bout of depression due to death in the family.

mental health encompasses a wide range of short term and long term dealings which have nothing to do with violence or the need for social retribution.

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You lost all semblance of an argument when you invoked the words "Jim Crow." Your argument was specious and all over the place before, but that last sentence vaulted it into the realm of insanity.
How so? My arguments have been on the same premise from the drop of the flag. It is you who have skirted around things, and just spread the mess out over the counter. The laws and regulations I am addressing ARE analogous to Jim Crow. They discriminate, blatantly, against a single group of people, based on a single criteria, and are used to deny those people their rights. So its not on the basis of skin tone..so what? So sorry ( not) to offend your sensibilities, but if you had ever been on the receiving end of these "laws" you would see the correlation. You label me specious, but not ONCE have you adressed the issues that are the core of my posts. Instead, you flounce off into left field, spouting inanities, that only serve to show a bigoted view of firearms owners. Happily advocating for further discrimination and trampling of peoples rights, using incidents like this one , to justify yourself.
I thought, perhaps, by actually outlining CA gun restrictions, and the manner in which they are applied, it might actually trigger a commentary, or at least a question, as to the actual legitimacy of said "laws". And, how making them even worse, would have stopped a guy like Rodgers. Instead, you reply with righteous indignation to an accurate analogy, and want to say that, based on that analogy, your arguments thus become irrefutable.
So, perhaps, if I simplify a bit....How, does singling out a specific group of people, targeting them with "laws" designed to "legally" violate far more than just 2a rights, confiscate their property, violate their privacy, stigmatize them a d deny them legal recourse, stopping people like Rodgers from committing acts of violence? Other than a giddy feeling that bigots get from seeing their bigotry made law, that is.
Or does taking umbrage with my comparison, and claiming moral high ground, just a convenient excuse to not answer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies