Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 03:28 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

Maybe psychologists and therapists can decide who has the violent tendency, and put their patients' names in the national data base. This will make it at least a little bit harder for the severely mentally ill to obtain firearms legally.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:32 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
This seems to be the missing link

"Had the officers sensed something awry during their April 30 visit, they might have searched Rodger’s home. They would have found his three semiautomatic handguns, dozens of rounds of ammunition and a draft of his 137-page memoir-manifesto. They would have read about his plot for a “Day of Retribution” — when, as Rodger wrote, he planned to “kill everyone in Isla Vista, to utterly destroy that wretched town.”

But the deputies did not look. They concluded that Rodger seemed “quiet and timid . . . polite and courteous,” Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said Sunday on CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

So they left and never returned."

In Elliot Rodger, authorities in Calif. saw warning signs but didn’t see a tipping point - The Washington Post
My point above, is that he's probably not the only person to show "warning signs". I'd guess there are others... and that most of those others, despite the "warning signs" they are giving out, will never grab a weapon and start killing people. They'll live out their lives as "somewhat kooky" people, and die in their beds at age 90 without ever having harmed a soul.

Wouldn't it be flat wrong to lock up such people?

How do you tell the dozens of "slightly kooky" people who will never harm anyone, from the occasional Elliot Rodger who will? Before Rodger grabs the gun, and looks no worse than the other manifesto-writers?

Answer: We cannot tell them apart. And that's why this problem has no solution.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
My point above, is that he's probably not the only person to show "warning signs". I'd guess there are others... and that most of those others, despite the "warning signs" they are giving out, will never grab a weapon and start killing people. They'll live out their lives as "somewhat kooky" people, and die in their beds at age 90 without ever having harmed a soul.

Wouldn't it be flat wrong to lock up such people?

How do you tell the dozens of "slightly kooky" people who will never harm anyone, from the occasional Elliot Rodger who will? Before Rodger grabs the gun, and looks no worse than the other manifesto-writers?

Answer: We cannot tell them apart. And that's why this problem has no solution.
I don't think we need to lock anybody up, however,

Maybe psychologists and therapists can decide who has the violent tendency, and put their patients' names in the national data base. This will make it at least a little bit harder for the severely mentally ill to obtain firearms legally.

That would be my opinion at least.

I learned from a grief therapist that the first thing you do when somebody talk about hurting themselves or other people is to take away their firearms. Will taking firearms away prevent suicide and homicide, I don't know. But this is what the professionals have suggested.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Maybe psychologists and therapists can decide who has the violent tendency,
I think we will find, that they cannot.

And that's why there is no "solution".

Old 05-27-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:

lol yeah.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:

lol yeah.
And that is why the people insisting that we "tighten gun laws" or "keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill", are solving nothing, but only creating more problems.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
And that is why the people insisting that we "tighten gun laws" or "keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill", are solving nothing, but only creating more problems.
The funny thing is that we (California) already have the most ridiculous gun laws. But several mass shootings took place in California.

I feel incredibly sad for this father, wish there is something somebody can do to prevent this type of thing from happening over and over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KyZyB5VjhE

I guess people just don't want to tell him, "Sorry, your son just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Old 05-27-2014, 03:47 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
The funny thing is that we (California) already have the most ridiculous gun laws. But several mass shootings took place in California.

I feel incredibly sad for this father, wish there is something somebody can do to prevent this type of thing from happening over and over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KyZyB5VjhE

I guess people just don't want to tell him, "Sorry, your son just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time."
His son was statistically much more likely to have been killed by a drunk driver or someone texting while driving. Per the CDC, more than 9 people are killed every day in the US and more than 1,060 injured in a crash involving a reported distracted driver.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:56 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
I don't have that low of an opinion of the ability of Americans to say they could not come up with solutions that would help mitigate the problems.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I don't have that low of an opinion of the ability of Americans to say they could not come up with solutions that would help mitigate the problems.
Despite their 0-for-everything record of having actually ever successfully done so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies