Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 02:49 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Man It seems like you have a solution for all these. If I knew somebody was dangerous, I reported them to authorities. I don't care how old they are.
Which is exactly what the guy's mother did the day of the shooting, after she read his manifesto but the call to 911 came too late, practically on top of the call from the crime sight. I don't have any solutions but I don't think it's fair to beat up on the parents when none of have enough information about them and their history with their son to make those kinds of judgements at this point in time.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:50 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Just one thing, you should either stay scared, or have an extremely healthy respect for them. They are not toys.
Most reasonable gun owners have a set of rules we follow, called the weapons safety rules, we NEVER treat them like toys. I have more than a healthy respect for guns. Many non gun owners have an irrational fear over an inanimate object.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:50 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't address your issues, or any of your other posts, because they're not worth my time.

Until you and your type of people get hung, raped, killed without accountability, denied housing, education and livelihood, picked up off the street and sent to prison, you have no case, nor any authority, to invoke Jim Crow. The sad thing about all this is that you're too damn ignorant to even understand why you're ignorant. But then again, you're the same back-country philosopher who defended Cliven Bundy's enlightened ideas on race.
Again, your "moral indignation" is nothing more than a smokescreen. Cliven Bundy has nothing to do with this, and I don't even recall commenting on his views, thread search fixes that, but I KNOW I never defended him in this regard. Rodgers motivations had little to do with actual, blatant, racism. He touched on it, but briefly. Oh, I'm sure it was a part of his phsycotic break, but other things were higher up the list.
I hold to my analogy. Minus rape and lynching, the comparison works for purposes here. One of the people who I cited, having fallen into CAs pit, did indeed, have his life totally ruined. Over an empty shell casing. For that, he was arrested, jailed and held, for 48 hours. His vehicle and tens of thousands worth of guns and gear confiscated, with no recourse. He lost his job, because he now had a "criminal record". The financial loss of his vehicle, devastated his finances, and be ended up losing his home, and, subsequently, his marriage. At his age, he will not recover. He trusted his attorney, who cost him a bundle, that a bench trial would be OK. Hardly, judge had a grand old time with him. For an EMPTY case, which the judge deemed as being "ammunition in proximity to a weapon in a motor vehicle".
I will invoke whatever comparison I see fit. All moral outrage you profess as reason to not address the legitimacy of these laws you advocate aside. And they are getting worse.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:52 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Which is exactly what the guy's mother did the day of the shooting, after she read his manifesto but the call to 911 came too late, practically on top of the call from the crime sight. I don't have any solutions but I don't think it's fair to beat up on the parents when none of have enough information about them and their history with their son to make those kinds of judgements at this point in time.
So what exactly are you suggesting? What is YOUR solution for all these shootings? Take away people's guns? Stop gun trade? It is easy to call other people's solution non-sense when you yourself have none.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:56 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
People keep insisting on "finding a solution".

OK, here's one: Make us all perfect people. Then there will be no mental illness, no killing rages, no need to protect ourselves from criminals, etc.

That's just as impractical, and impossible to make happen, as any of the other solutions offered here.

Could it be that, as long as we are a society populated by imperfect people, there is no solution? And anything we "do about it", just makes things worse?

Old 05-27-2014, 02:56 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
So what exactly are you suggesting? What is YOUR solution for all these shootings? Take away people's guns? Stop gun trade? It is easy to call other people's solution non-sense when you yourself have none.
You don't have to have a solution to call out the problems with someone else's solution.

And

Sometimes their is not a solution.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
People keep insisting on "finding a solution".

OK, here's one: Make us all perfect people. Then there will be no mental illness, no killing rages, no need to protect ourselves from criminals, etc.

That's just as impractical, and impossible to make happen, as any of the other solutions offered here.

Could it be that, as long as we are a society populated by imperfect people, there is no solution? And anything we "do about it", just makes things worse?
I started feeling this way.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Man It seems like you have a solution for all these. If I knew somebody was dangerous, I reported them to authorities. I don't care how old they are.
And that would have prevented him from legally buying a gun ?

"Hello officer I think my son is mentally ill"

Old 05-27-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that would have prevented him from legally buying a gun ?

"Hello officer I think my son is mentally ill"
well, here is the deal

Why the police were even called to Rodgers’ home in April when his mother grew alarmed at his online ranting. If only the police had acted.

And hence one of the great ironies of the gun debate: We need weapons to protect us against government. Yet we need more government to protect us against the mentally ill. Let’s empower the very beast we need to keep at bay.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:04 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Quote:
Yet we need more government to protect us against the mentally ill.
Sigh......

Quote:
Let’s empower the very beast we need to keep at bay.
Hmm, a glimmer of hope. Maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies