Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 08:46 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Some of this is lack of parenting also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 08:48 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,861,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So teachers are unable of doing their job and maintaining order in the classroom...and want to drug the children instead? Sorry-but that is wrong on so many levels. Teachers do need the authority to remove disruptive children from the classroom and disruptive children need to receive appropriate discipline and punishment for bad behavior-not drugs. Our principle had a wooden paddle...it is amazing how few cases of "ADD" actually occurred. Our culture that embraces mind altering drugs in such widespread levels is a disgrace.
I grew up with a father who was a principal -- wood paddle and all. Needless to say, I was pretty focused in school without being medicated.

As a father of kids, I'm never in favor of medicating them with a BigPharma drug. My youngest had some focusing issues when he started middle school, but the minute we modified his diet (removing virtually ALL processed foods and as much HFCS as possible), things changed for him.

Parenting is HARD -- far and away the hardest job on the planet -- and there are millions of parents who simply are looking for a "magic pill". BigPharma is all too happy to oblige......

Top 100 Drugs for 2012 by Sales - U.S. Pharmaceutical Statistics

Old 05-29-2014, 08:52 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The school nurse has a big supply and you will never be told.
Baloney. Stimulants used to treat ADHD are Schedule III drugs, which means prescriptions are carefully tracked at a state level. There is no way a school nurse would ever have access to these medications unless they were accompanied by a prescription for a specific child and delivered to her by a parent, nor would she administer them without a prescription. It's a felony and would land her in jail.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:06 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
I grew up with a father who was a principal -- wood paddle and all. Needless to say, I was pretty focused in school without being medicated.

As a father of kids, I'm never in favor of medicating them with a BigPharma drug. My youngest had some focusing issues when he started middle school, but the minute we modified his diet (removing virtually ALL processed foods and as much HFCS as possible), things changed for him.

Parenting is HARD -- far and away the hardest job on the planet -- and there are millions of parents who simply are looking for a "magic pill". BigPharma is all too happy to oblige......

Top 100 Drugs for 2012 by Sales - U.S. Pharmaceutical Statistics
I agree with you. It isn't just parenting that is hard and parents aren't the only ones that drug themselves or their families to make their lives easier or more pleasant. Seems like I read that something like 25% of the population (and IIRC about 35% of women) take various anti-depressants, anti-anxiety or other mind and mood altering drugs just to "get through the day". Mommy's little helper..my azz. Too many adults just never grew up and managed to deal with life without intervention of one form or another. There are certainly a small portion of the population that actually are "mentally ill"...but far from the actual number taking drugs.

What ever happened with dealing with your problems like adults...with alcohol? Or even weed? [/badattemptathumor]

Old 05-30-2014, 03:41 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Supposedly, people with ADHD react differently to a stimulant than you or I. I have heard some of the parents of these children even give them coffee.
The reason is, adhd, they believe is caused by a part of the brain that allows a person self control. It, on a PET scan shows a lower level of activity, Providing an amphetamine, allows that area of the brain to process/speed up which gives the ADHD person the illusion of slowing down. Because they now have a greater amount of self control, it appears that they are no longer racing about, because they are no longer distracted by everything, and can focus and remain on task.

For the truly ADHD, the medication allows them the ability to be normal. They can focus, interact better with others, have better impulse control, it's amazing.

I agree it's overdiagnosed, and should be done not by a regular Dr., but by a trained neuropsycologist, a neuropsychological assessment, which can be used to assess brain activity. They have the proper training to determine the issue.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:45 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
In general the American society seems to think that solution to every situation is medication. I agree there is too much medication being given to children especially when one doesn't really know what the long term implications will be.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:32 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In general the American society seems to think that solution to every situation is medication. I agree there is too much medication being given to children especially when one doesn't really know what the long term implications will be.
What difference, at that point, will it matter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6JE...JEBI7fSrA#t=95

Old 05-30-2014, 08:47 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The reason is, adhd, they believe is caused by a part of the brain that allows a person self control. It, on a PET scan shows a lower level of activity, Providing an amphetamine, allows that area of the brain to process/speed up which gives the ADHD person the illusion of slowing down. Because they now have a greater amount of self control, it appears that they are no longer racing about, because they are no longer distracted by everything, and can focus and remain on task.

For the truly ADHD, the medication allows them the ability to be normal. They can focus, interact better with others, have better impulse control, it's amazing.

I agree it's overdiagnosed, and should be done not by a regular Dr., but by a trained neuropsycologist, a neuropsychological assessment, which can be used to assess brain activity. They have the proper training to determine the issue.
Shifting into third gear too soon can lug your engine.

Could be mucking up your valves.

There's a lot of valve mucky going around these days.

Cylinder heads are familiar with this problem, but that though even more so, the "engine" runs quieter.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:48 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
you guys go ahead and bash away.

i know my own story.

diagnosed "hyperactive" before ADHD was a thing, back in the 70s... I was put on Ritilin and went from not being ale to read in the 3rd grade to honor role by the end of the year..

I have a friend my age, that was just the same only he was not treated. He was smarter than me. he has been in and out of prison his whole adult life.

I do agree that there is too much handing out of meds for this serious condition, and not enough work to help the person learn coping skills. I also agree that these drugs have been used to bandaid serious mental illness as we have seen with all these kid killers who have vertually all been on ADD meds. But going with the blanket "it aint real" is as bad as using these meds to calm a normal boy down.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:53 AM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I only remember one kid when I was little that even to my young mind seemed "hyper". Now, every other kid is being medicated for it. What is with that?
Same here. What is the cause of this huge increase since we were in school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies