Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 08:46 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Tulsa is Republican and considerably bigger than Boise.
Tulsa isn't exactly a major city either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 08:46 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
School choice. Competition for students.

Trapping kids in failing public schools that resist improvement, à la the Democrats' politically expedient modus operandi, won't cut it. Even Michelle Rhee, a lifelong Democrat AND an education reformer, agrees. She's pro-voucher, just like 2/3 of Black and Hispanic adults.
Stop with your strawmen. I'm not interested in hearing about Democrats. This conversation is about solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Inadequate response. We already know that not one single state educates even half of its public school students to grade-level proficiency. Your solution still leaves far too many under-educated.
My response was the same response as yours (highlighted in red).

Furthermore, you said it is the bottom dragging down the states. Suburban public school systems are pretty good. The inner city school systems struggle. Like I said, open up the county to allow parents to seek out schools that are a good fit for their children.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:49 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
You left out Chicago with its strongest anti gun laws and has the highest murderer rate with guns.
What I find interesting and disingenous about this argument is that Chicago had a lot of its gun regulations struck down by the far right supreme court and after that the murder rate skyrocket. Yet Republicans love to point this out as how gun control doesn't work, while clearly ignoring the fact that in McDonald v. Chicago the SCOTUS got rid of a fair amount of Chicago's tough gun laws.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:51 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
What I find interesting and disingenous about this argument is that Chicago had a lot of its gun regulations struck down by the far right supreme court and after that the murder rate skyrocket. Yet Republicans love to point this out as how gun control doesn't work, while clearly ignoring the fact that in McDonald v. Chicago the SCOTUS got rid of a fair amount of Chicago's tough gun laws.
For all of Chicago's gun homocide media propaganda, its per capita gun homocide rate is roughly the national average.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:54 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Stop with your strawmen. I'm not interested in hearing about Democrats. This conversation is about solutions.
Then why is your "solution" to keep kids trapped in the very same public schools that are failing to educate even half of our country's students to grade-level proficiency?

Quote:
Furthermore, you said it is the bottom dragging down the states.
No, I said it's the bottom students dragging down everyone else. And why does that happen? Because public schools foolishly mix students of widely varying skill/ability levels in the same classroom, and then teach to the level of the struggling students.
Quote:
Suburban public school systems are pretty good.
Not really. Oh, I know people like to think their suburban public schools are good, but that's really just a sick, sick joke.

My post here explains that in all its gory details. Includes actual test scores and newspaper article citations:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/34751307-post272.html

Old 06-02-2014, 09:44 AM

864 posts, read 799,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
These cities all exist within states.

MI: GOP governor & legislature
LA: GOP gov & leg
OH: GOP gov & leg
MO: Dem gov & GOP leg
MS: GOP gov & leg
NJ: GOP gov & Dem leg

But it's very convenient to move the goalposts into a narrow favorable position when your goal is to simply bash.

Carry on.

What? No one is moving goal post except you. I never made any claims about the states themselves.

Yes, MI has a GOP governor, and crime outside of Detroit isn't bad, in fact, the suburbs of Detroit are doing great in terms of crime. Same with New Jersey, and Mississippi. The crime is out of control in the liberal centers of those states, which this list shows.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:46 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Maybe the left should willingly give up their 2nd amendment rights and save us all from their violent ways.

Correlation does not imply causation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It does depress me. . .that people make the above posts. It is like they have no basic understanding of how to critical weigh evidence, filter through facts, and make hypothesis and come to educated guesses.

I mean did Finn Cool ever ONCE stop to consider that people who fall victim to gun violence (poverty, race, education, etc) just happen to vote democratic? if rich people voted Republican and poor people vote democratic. . .that would result in gun violence aligned with democratic.

Yet . . .it doesn't mean that Democrats are creating gun violence

Come on. . people - can we try to use that thing between your ears?

Here is you want other random correlations - try Spurious Correlations

Old 06-02-2014, 09:54 AM

864 posts, read 799,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

Yet . . .it doesn't mean that Democrats are creating gun violence

What? You wasted your time typing all of that and scouring google for pictures when I never even argued the above? Typical liberal tactic, invent an argument when you don't have one.

I never ever said "Democrats are creating gun violence". Next time take a basic reading comprehension class at your local elementary school. Thanks.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:40 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Then one must look at demographic differences...
What is the common denominator that we see as the difference?

Don't look too hard, or you will go color blind, for the sake of being called a racist.
Why would you be racist? There is a huge issue with racial barriers in cities with higher crime rates that has nothing to do with politics or gun laws.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:44 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
If you removed Flint, Detroit, Oakland, New Orleans, Newark, and Baltimore from gun homicide statistics, the U.S gun murder rate per capita would be very close to Europe which practically has no guns in the hands of private citizens!
And if you removed the places where the most gun crimes happened from the European markets, we'd be back at #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies