Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2014, 11:46 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
You are wrong. I live in California and waiters must get paid at least the minimum wage. Restaurants only started paying 2.13 because customers were tipping so much they knew they didn't even have to pay their employees anymore. If people stopped tipping, the restaurants would start paying people real wages.
Thanks, I didn't know that about California. I'm in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Let's get our customers to pay our employees. Brilliant!
LOL, that's pretty much it. However, if the restaurant owners paid wages, it would just up the cost of the food, so you pay either way.

I've never been a waitress/server. I wouldn't make any money because I'd forget what people ordered and probably drop stuff all the time.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Yup. Old news and common knowledge, no waiter ever wants to wait on a table full of African Americans... even African American waiters.

Also at banquets and weddings , if it's a black event, count on the guests to arrive very very late for a sit down dinner and not be apologetic about it.

And African nationals treat waiters like servants.
A black friend once told me that I'm on "CP Time". I asked her what CP meant and she said "Colored People".

Old 08-30-2014, 11:51 AM

479 posts, read 431,596 times
Default Can't say for sure...

But, maybe it's because, overall, African Americans earn less money than Whites...

Old 08-30-2014, 11:59 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I know that, and I find that fascinating (my daughter has a degree in linguistics, and I suspect she got the curiosity about language from me). I also have black coworkers who don't "sound black" at all. Neither does my next-door neighbor, who grew up a town away here in central Jersey, or my brother-in-law, whose family has been in NJ and upstate New York for at least 150 years.

As an adult, I work in a very multi-cultural setting. I would not like to live again in a one-dimensional environment. First of all--there's the food.

Unfortunately, you are correct. There are people who just want a way to air their racism by disguising it.

As far as this thread goes, it caught my eye because my daughter mentioned that she had discovered this phenomenon recently while working as a server. Prior to this job, she worked in another city at a bank in a ghetto area. She had some scary customers, mostly black, one of whom they had to get the police to remove from their bank because he was threatening them for not cashing his check made out to someone else when he had no account or identification. But, she doesn't think all black people are that way. She knows it was specific to the high-crime area in which she worked.
Your daughter might be able to explain other parts of the USA as well.

With me not "sounding Black", I will say that my father is from Wisconsin. He grew up in a mostly Black area, but then went to college, got exposed to some different things, got a different perspective. One thing I notice is that when he is around me or the family, he talks "standard English". When he is talking with someone from his old neighborhood, he will still speak "standard English", but there might be a bit of Ebonics thrown in.

One thing about the Black population as for as geographic distribution is this. Around 1900, 90 percent of the Blacks in the USA lived in the South. This was before the Great Migration. The culture in the North vs the South was different.

One can tell a difference in people between different areas. I know that where I went to high school, it is a different class of people compared to the town where I went to college. Different places, different people. Same with the bank situation. I'm living with my parents at the moment until the economy gets better. Where I'm at, I sometimes see people flying Confederate flags. If I go to the next county east of where I live, different environment,different kind of people, and a different mentality. Even the food is different. More options, diverse options.

As for the tipping, I had to wonder about this situation. I know as a Black man, I know to leave a good tip. I never had any kind of curiosity as to why some Blacks didn't tip. I never really cared why at all. I just know what I do. I think what got me is why so many people have that curiosity about Blacks. I never had that much curiosity, but some people do. And sometimes I think it isn't so much curiosity, but a reason to vent one's prejudice towards Blacks.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:02 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,559 times
What about asians? To the people who have worked or are working jobs that get tips, what is your opinion on asian tippers?

I did a search and couldn't really find anything concrete. I always try to tip well. I know my dad goes out of his way to tip up to 25%. But again, I can't really find any study regarding asian tippers.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastie View Post
But, maybe it's because, overall, African Americans earn less money than Whites...
No, someone suggested that, but that would be a reason why African-Americans could not afford to eat out at restaurants in the first place, not why they would cheap out on their server. If they can afford to drop $80 on a dinner, they can afford the $12 - $16 15% - 20% tip instead of leaving only $10. The restaurant where my daughter works is a higher-end place with entrees in the high teens and steaks in the $24 range with a full bar and wine list. The people who patronize this restaurant, black or white (or other), are solid middle-class+ professional types.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:06 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
A black friend once told me that I'm on "CP Time". I asked her what CP meant and she said "Colored People".
I never really heard of that term until the late 2000s.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:08 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,448,181 times
Less disposable income.

I'll bet they take fewer vacations also.

Disposable income is used for dining out, and vacations.

Some people have the opinion that when you pay for a meal that costs 1/4 of your take home pay, it's not likely you'll want to add another 15 - 20 percent on top of that amount for the server.

Besides, everyone doesn't think a tip is obligatory.

In Austria, it's not customary to tip more than a single euro no matter how expensive the meal was. When I was there on my very first trip many years ago, and I left an "american" sized tip it was considered far too much. Servers there earn an actual salary.

Frankly, I don't think it's anyone's business to study how a particular "ethnic" group tips. It's racist on its face to generalize about an entire group of people in that manner.

It's really quite simple, jack up the price of your menu, and pay your servers more than minimum wage and don't expect the customer to supplement their salary.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:11 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,439 times
Quote:
No, someone suggested that, but that would be a reason why African-Americans could not afford to eat out at restaurants in the first place, not why they would cheap out on their server. If they can afford to drop $80 on a dinner, they can afford the $12 - $16 15% - 20% tip instead of leaving only $10. The restaurant where my daughter works is a higher-end place with entrees in the high teens and steaks in the $24 range with a full bar and wine list. The people who patronize this restaurant, black or white (or other), are solid middle-class+ professional types.
Poor people never eat out at restaurants.. okay.. anything to help you believe that it must be due to someones skin color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies