Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 09:41 AM

25,947 posts, read 18,946,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Voting ballots are private businesses? Public schools are private businesses? Welfare offices are private businesses? Street signs are private businesses?

The government has also funded many of those all-Spanish radio stations.
You did notice what I actually quoted, right?

You have a point with all the other stuff I left off and government-sponsored radio/TV. The point I wanted to make is that you have no leg to stand on when discussing privately owned businesses or corporations. It's a free country (at least it is supposed to be), and we want to keep it that way as much as possible.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:41 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,976,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Gibberish -- speech or other use of language that is nonsense : unintelligible or meaningless language.

Calling any language "jibberish" (sic) demonstrates a complete lack of respect for others and an overblown sense of arrogance, self-righteousness, and ego.

Speaking of "jibberish" (sic) -- not understanding basic English grammar (specifically parallelism, capitalization, and to a lesser extent, adverb placement) SHOULD be illegal.
I saw a sign at a restaurant before, and it read "need fixed". Wow, good job America, way to be a good example to those "non-assimilating" Mexicans you hate so much

Quote:
That's not true -- we wouldn't see all the signs in Spanish going up every where, there wouldn't be more Spanish radio and television stations than English ones, welfare social workers wouldn't have to give the food stamps and WIC coupons out in Spanish if that were really the case.

If you say "adios" and know what it means does that make you a Spanish speaker? Some hispanics do know a few words in English but they can't even vote unless the ballots are in their own country's language.

Spain has a lot of signs that are in English, radio stations that broadcast in English, and even carry channels from the UK, broadcast in English! Don't pretend that this is only unique to the US, because it isn't. Spanish is surviving very well in Spain, hell even the local language Catalan is surviving just fine despite the very huge influx of Germans and Brits, who don't speak Spanish or Catalan and couldn't be bothered to.

I'm sorry, but has anyone ever told you that you live in a bubble?

Old 07-05-2014, 09:53 AM

25,947 posts, read 18,946,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I saw a sign at a restaurant before, and it read "need fixed". Wow, good job America, way to be a good example to those "non-assimilating" Mexicans you hate so much
Usually, I don't rip on folks here for language/grammar issues (because I'm apt to flub up once in awhile as well). But when someone is ripping on people "not knowing English" and the post is peppered with "jibberish," I have a hard time resisting. It's the old glass house cliché in action. I think many folks who are constantly caterwauling about speaking English need to take a good hard look in the mirror. Common spoken English that we hear on the street these days is atrocious at times. They "need fixed."

Old 07-05-2014, 09:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times
Quote:

Spain has a lot of signs that are in English, radio stations that broadcast in English, and even carry channels from the UK, broadcast in English! Don't pretend that this is only unique to the US, because it isn't. Spanish is surviving very well in Spain, hell even the local language Catalan is surviving just fine despite the very huge influx of Germans and Brits, who don't speak Spanish or Catalan and couldn't be bothered to.

I'm sorry, but has anyone ever told you that you live in a bubble?
No different than the "sebende la troca" signs you fairly commonly see. Or "especial en arreglar las brekas" Even in Mexico.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:03 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,976,467 times
Quote:
No different than the "sebende la troca" signs you fairly commonly see. Or "especial en arreglar las brekas" Even in Mexico.
First of all, Mexicans never say sebende, because they don't say it like that. Puerto Ricans pronounce the v as a b much of the time. I have NEVER seen, anywhere, anyone writing "sebende". Troca is Spanglish, the correct word is camión for truck or camioneta for pickup. Las brekas is also Spanglish, the correct word is los frenos. That should be good for you, at least they're assimilating

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Usually, I don't rip on folks here for language/grammar issues (because I'm apt to flub up once in awhile as well). But when someone is ripping on people "not knowing English" and the post is peppered with "jibberish," I have a hard time resisting. It's the old glass house cliché in action. I think many folks who are constantly caterwauling about speaking English need to take a good hard look in the mirror. Common spoken English that we hear on the street these days is atrocious at times. They "need fixed."
What really "kill's" me is when people don't know how to use a damn apostrophe correctly, as I demonstrated in the beginning of the sentence.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
First of all, Mexicans never say sebende, because they don't say it like that. Puerto Ricans pronounce the v as a b much of the time. I have NEVER seen, anywhere, anyone writing "sebende". Troca is Spanglish, the correct word is camión for truck or camioneta for pickup. Las brekas is also Spanglish, the correct word is los frenos. That should be good for you, at least they're assimilating

What really "kill's" me is when people don't know how to use a damn apostrophe correctly, as I demonstrated in the beginning of the sentence.
I have seen that "sebende" on signs quite frequently. Mexicans have horrible spelling -- you might say most bilinguals are illiterate in two languages. I could post you a picture -- El Diario used to post pictures of these things quite often.

Spanglish is not assimilating at all -- it makes them incoherent both in their own country and in ours -- not too many Americans know what "la brekas" would be.

The only thing that is any consolation is they're ruining Spanish pretty fast now. A local radio station was lamenting the fact that terms like "por plis and dank u and o que" are being used as far south as Zacatecas -- and they already gave up on trying to keep terms like "yonke" and "lonche" out of Spanish.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Hah! I didn't even have to find you pictures --- I immediately found you some good examples of sebende:

el paso for sale / wanted classifieds "sebende" - craigslist

Jun 4 - sebende terreno - $6 pic map furniture - by owner

Jun 21 - sevende perrito sharpey con pitbull - pic map general - by owner

Jun 7 - sebende bolsas de ropa - $20 (north east) pic map general - by owner

Jun 16 - bicicleta para ejersicio - $80 (montana) pic map general - by owner

Jun 3 - sebende winstar - $1200 (north east) pic map cars & trucks - by owner

Jun 13 - carro for 98 ala venta obo - $1 (north east) pic map cars & trucks - by owner

May 31 - sebende - $120 (north east) pic map general - by owner

May 29 - sebende carro ford contour 98 - $2 (north east) pic map cars & trucks - by owner

May 29 - sebende ford - $2 (northeast) pic map cars & trucks - by owner

May 23 - sebende terreno - $6 (ciuda juarez ) pic map furniture - by owner

Old 07-05-2014, 10:19 AM

I like this one:

Sebende bicicleta para aser ejersisios como nueba solose huso 3 meses mas infoemes

Like I said -- illiterate in two languages is what bilingual means. Unable to speak English and not doing much better in their own country's language.

How hilarious -- they leave off the hache where it should be and put it where it shouldn't be. And can't keep the se separate.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:23 AM

Another one:

Es muy cariñosa y no es braba para mas informacion ablar al

I ask: que quiere decir "braba"? que quiere decir "ablar"?

Yep -- the Tower of Babel.

I believe I could have fun with this all day.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:27 AM

One from Ciudad Juarez Mexico:

Sebende terreno en juarez con casa muy destruida mas bien es el terreno para mas informaccion ablar al

Some have suggested Spanish is much better than English because it's phonetic -- not from what I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies