Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 02:24 PM

25,768 posts, read 18,826,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
O uh grahmmur nazi! I stand 100% behind my "Jibberish" way of spelling. Most people get what others say on here. Lets forget about college grade grammar. ( It just makes you seem arrogant, and condescending ) All I ask is at least grade school english grammar from these illegals, is that too much to ask? At least I am able to make out what most people are saying without being a(n) grammar nazi.
Well.... when we are discussing language, we are opening ourselves up to scrutiny. I'm quite likely at any given time (as I'm writing) two () switch a homonym, even though eye () no () perfectly well the way it should bee (). I have to be very careful about that. If I right () a post directly about language, oar ( or is that ore?) especially "learning English," I'm almost too () thee () point of being paranoid... because I know their () certainly are "grammar Nazis" hear () that will pounce on the first little slip up and caste () me as a hippopotamus, er, I mean hypocrite.

I'm decent with grammar, but as for speeling (), forget it. I'm not so great at that. Thank the technology gods for spell-check.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Knock yourself out.

You know, my grandmother never could master silent letters in the English language.
For instance she would always say a word like tongue, and pronounce it tong goo.

So, while you are making fun of another's speech/writing skills, guess what
rhymes with tong goo,
You also did ask earlier if it matters if someone who don't know is making fun of you -- and even if I'm making fun of them --- they will never know it because they're not going to be reading a forum that's in English to see this. If they speak English at all, they cannot read and write it. They think they're doing just fine in their own country's language.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well.... when we are discussing language, we are opening ourselves up to scrutiny. I'm quite likely at any given time (as I'm writing) two () switch a homonym, even though eye () no () perfectly well the way it should bee (). I have to be very careful about that. If I right () a post directly about language, oar ( or is that ore?) especially "learning English," I'm almost too () thee () point of being paranoid... because I know their () certainly are "grammar Nazis" hear () that will pounce on the first little slip up and caste () me as a hippopotamus, er, I mean hypocrite.

I'm decent with grammar, but as for speeling (), forget it. I'm not so great at that. Thank the technology gods for spell-check.
I make a lot of typos -- and sometimes if I type too fast I type their instead of they're or there.

I was checking Mexico City's craigslist -- and came across this one -- now if an American used a term like "chicanasos" especially in the way it's meant in this it would be considered racist.

Nissan frontier 4 puertas xe

2007 NISSAN FRONTIER XE - 6 cilindros estandar con sexta, 4 puertas factura a su nombre, nacional reporte de no robo a la mano. Aire acondicionado muy frio, interior enterito. Millas originales, nada de chicanasos, checala en carfax, no andamos bajando las millas. la transmicion automatica en este tipo de troca es comun de que se desconponga, es por eso que cuando la miro estandar siempre me la traigo. Estandar no hay fallas. Perrona impecable, no arriesgues tu dinero antes de comprar checala la mia y veras la diferencia., 66,000 millas, $12,500 dlls o mejor oferta ver datos contacto 152*15*26197, nos ponemos de acuerdo y te la envio para donde estes.

I guess checala is a new word they have in Spanish -- kind of like watchale.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I think I need to learn Spanish well enough that I can speak it in public places just to annoy people like the OP.
Actually, yes. It's great fun. Especially if your skin is ghost-white and you can speak Spanish with virtually no gringo accent. You get a lot of looks from both gringos (disapproval) and Hispanics (approval). I heartily recommend it.

Even more amusing is picking some language that is really exotic (to 'mericans). Have your significant other just stand, listen, and nod his/her head (even if he/she doesn't understand a word of it) as you rattle off an obscure language (Irish, for instance, or Esperanto) in the grocery store line. Great fun, especially if there are militant language Nazis nearby.

I recorded my phone voice mail in Esperanto one time. I had a guy call back later all confused. He thought it was Arabic.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:43 PM

Or what's more fun --- know every word they're saying -- but never let on you can understand them. You can sure find out a whole lot about people that way.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Or what's more fun --- know every word they're saying -- but never let on you can understand them. You can sure find out a whole lot about people that way.
Yep. And pretend like you are not paying attention because you haven't a clue. Sometimes it's hard to keep a straight face, though.

A lot of times speakers of other languages say pretty much anything they like whether it's appropriate in public or not. Generally, they are safe because very few Americans speak other languages (besides English or Spanish). But Spanish speakers tend to do this as well, and I don't think they realize that speaking Spanish is not all that obscure in the US anymore. There are a growing number of born-n-bred Americans that can at least speak and/or understand basic Spanish. It's not as "private" as it once was.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:59 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I have been to several places this evening (Whole Foods, mall, and Target)
You live a truly exciting life.

Quote:
and it seemed like few people there were speaking English
And?

Quote:
- people were speaking in languages other than English.
I gathered that from the previous clause.

Quote:
Does going into a public place and hearing a lack of English, especially in a nonethnic neighborhood, bother you?
No. I'm not terribly interested in eavesdropping on other people's conversations.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:59 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,896 times
Nope, I am not a xenophobic bigot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies