Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 03:16 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Recently I talked with one of those urban planner types, who said the market locally doesn't currently build unsubsidized housing in my desired price range. This price range is one of several price ranges generally recognized by planner types and a price range relevant to many people.

If the private sector is not building for this market segment, that sounds to me like market failure.

Obviously, a conservative and especially a libertarian solution does not include providing subsidies.

So what's your solution? Shrug and let people vote with their feet as they get priced out of the region?

If the private sector is not building affordable housing, the market solution is to go down to Dicks Sporting Goods or Modell's and buy a cheap camping tent and a few other niceties and find a nice dry spot under a Expressway bridge or overpass to set it up and join the rest of America's failures. Another solution is to take a leaf from the poor world wide and build a hovel out of wood scraps, cardboard, mud bricks or scap sheet metal or plastic in some out of the way place on the fringe of a city preferably near the city dump (theres a hell of a lot people throw out that is still usable.) You can beat this for housing affordability!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 03:20 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
If the private sector is not building affordable housing, the market solution is to go down to Dicks Sporting Goods or Modell's and buy a cheap camping tent and a few other niceties and find a nice dry spot under a Expressway bridge or overpass to set it up and join the rest of America's failures. Another solution is to take a leaf from the poor world wide and build a hovel out of wood scraps, cardboard, mud bricks or scap sheet metal or plastic in some out of the way place on the fringe of a city preferably near the city dump (theres a hell of a lot people throw out that is still usable.) You can beat this for housing affordability!!!!
Completely false hyperbole. This is just mean-spirited, ill-informed nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSzgh3D7-Q0

This couple built their own tiny home for $10,000

Meet the Tiny House Family Who Built an Amazing Mini Home for Just $12,000

Old 07-15-2014, 03:20 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
That's illegal. The government will use force to remove you.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:

Except your solution isn't really sustainable in the context of cops regularly seeking out and dispersing those who employ your solution. Not to mention wild animals of which sightings are often reported.

I don't mind meeting a cougar in an indoor setting (say, in a club), but don't want to meet one outdoors when I'm sleeping in a tent under an overpass.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:11 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
They shouldn't.... but people would build developments like this if nimby's didn't use government force to make it impossible.
I see....so you like Democracy except when you don't like Democracy.

Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
The types of developments he is speaking of would be built all over, if they weren't illegal for silly reasons pretty much everywhere. I would invest/build them myself... the nimby's use government to tell me no.
Fine....here's your Free Market Solution:

Put money into an escrow account to cover financial damages and losses suffered by others.

I have property valued at $400,000 so you put $1.2 Million in escrow and we're cool.

That way, when your $5/night meth-crack-heroin infested flop-houses drop the value of my property to $0, I can just take the $1.2 Million.

Um, if you're wondering why it's $1.2 Million, it's because I'm entitled to treble damages as a matter of law.

Quote:
And yes, college towns are exactly where I've seen these. And that might be why they've been unaffordable to me; graduate students and subsidized undergrads have more money than I do.
Questionable Premise

If you have sufficient background information to know that a premise is questionable or unlikely to be acceptable, then you use this fallacy if you accept an argument based on that premise.

The premise that you have a right, or title or claim to live in any particular area is a false premise.

If you can afford to live there, fine, if not, then move.

Quote:
Currently I have less than $10; rent consumes 52 percent of my income and leaves me broke until my second bimonthly payday (which is this Friday). Don't see any relocation in my immediate future.

If I get priced out of a 1989 Hyundai Excel (which was one step above a Yugo), I can buy a Yugo.

If I get priced out of a crappy SRO, a hovel and a tent are not lawful options.

Homelessness is lawful but living in a hovel or a tent is not?
A $65 Greyhound bus ticket to the new more affordable place of your choice is an option.

How come you didn't take that ship?

Here's another. The MV Asir is going to be porting in NYC on the 17th.

When you leave, you can get off in Valencia (Spain) or Genoa (Italy).

Either way, it's an easy trip across the creek to Libya. Or from Genoa you can go to Syria. Or Greece. Or Bulgaria. The MV Asir will port in Dammam Saudi Arabia via the Suez, so you can set up shop in Egypt.

On the same day, the MSC Challenger will port. She'll take you to Capetown. Hell, in SA you could have your own ranch with animals and sell beef to McDonald's.

Quote:
But class warfare and the existence of a homeowner majority guarantee that the laws will not be changed in a way favorable to the landless, who have only those property right which the property class deigns to afford them.
That's another false premise.

You are landless by choice....your choice.

You have chosen to be landless because you refuse to do any of the things necessary to own land.

You can purchase a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath on minimum wage here in Cincinnati. There are nearly 100 other communities in the US where you can do the same.

Your refusal to take action makes you solely to blame. There is no one else to blame but you. No one is obligated to subsidize your rent because you have some fantasy about sniffing panties in a college town in which you cannot afford to live.

You can get a job starting at $10.50/hour at White Castles on 8th Street with a $0.50/hour and benefits after 6 months and you don't even have to flip "sliders."

Economically...

Mircea

Old 07-15-2014, 04:17 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
The conservative solution to free market failures are more tax cuts. The market will eventually get it together

Old 07-15-2014, 04:22 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
You and your fellow citizens are not some powerless entities who are unable to change anything. You can put ballot measures up, etc.

Heck you can even disincorporate your city with enough local voters.

But heres the thing, you live in a giant HOA called a city. By moving there, you have agreed to be bound by the rules. You can change them.

Instead you act like you shouldn't be bound by the rules of your city or state. You CHOOSE that city/state. Pick somewhere else if you don't like it, or change the rules with the consent of the people in that group. But whining about it is kinda foolish.

Now back to the original topic.

We've discussed libertarian ideas on how to make this occur (Ideas I agree with even-ie change the laws dealing with minimum lot size etc.). What about Republican ideas? A tax cut for housing of this nature? Tax exemption? Or?

Old 07-15-2014, 04:28 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Recently I talked with one of those urban planner types, who said the market locally doesn't currently build unsubsidized housing in my desired price range. This price range is one of several price ranges generally recognized by planner types and a price range relevant to many people.

If the private sector is not building for this market segment, that sounds to me like market failure.

Obviously, a conservative and especially a libertarian solution does not include providing subsidies.

So what's your solution? Shrug and let people vote with their feet as they get priced out of the region?
No, it sounds like common sense. No one is willing to build housing that there is no market for (without subsidies). And, why should there be subsidies?

Will the government subsidize me buying a new car that I couldn't afford otherwise?

This is just plain stupid!

Old 07-15-2014, 04:33 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Flamer View Post
Markets don't fail. Manipulated markets fail - true markets are as reliable as gravity.
Hahahahahaha!

Thank goodness you aren't teaching history to our children!

Old 07-15-2014, 04:33 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:

There are no market failures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies