Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 07:54 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,155 times

Advertisements

With 47 millions already on food stamps, very little of the American dream remains. It's time to take few years for recovery before absorbing more. Why not (at least for a while) import only wealthy, rich and highly educated people?

Old 07-17-2014, 07:55 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,215,678 times
The problem that outrages so many true Americans is that all the illegal aliens hopping the border in general are not bringing any skills that will add to America. Worse is they will be taking and sponging off the welfare system for decades if not their entire lives. Certainly a few will rise up and become good productive people that will help society but most will not. The saddest part is our government knows this and seems content to let America slowly rot from within.
There has been a shift in immigrants and their thinking in the last generation. When I worked and lived alongside immigrants from Brazil and yes some of them were illegal there was a dividing line along age. The guys that were 35+ worked hard to improve their lives and those of their family and they also worked hard to fit into society and some even became American citizens. The 20 somethings worked hard but they were all about themselves and most had plans that once they bankrolled enough money they were moving back to Brazil. They saw America as a cash cow to milk. At least they worked an honest day.
There was also another group that did as little as possible and they leeched off the system.
The problem is the do nothing leeches that we all need to pay for.
America doesn't have a problem with legal immigration it has a problem with illegal immigration and our Gov. telling us that it is good for us.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:56 AM

62,909 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
When my ancestors immigrated, there were no laws for immigrants from Germany. Ditto with my spouse's family from Denmark and Sweden. This business of "legal immigration" is new in this country, for about the past 100 years.
And there are good reasons for that. We are no longer a wide open frontier with plentiful jobs and resources. Our population has grown immensely since back then. Therefore, we had to put quotas on legal immigration into our country.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
When our ancestors moved here they open carried guns owned slaves so things have changed there are now laws ,do you want to follow the laws or go back to laws are ancestors had
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And there are good reasons for that. We are no longer a wide open frontier with plentiful jobs and resources. Our population has grown immensely since back then. Therefore, we had to put quotas on legal immigration into our country.
The point is, it is untrue that previous immigrants, Europeans who arrived prior to 1920 anyway, went through some sort of "legal immigration" process. They just got on a boat and came over.

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
I'm not anti-immigrant. I am however concerned about the $13,500 per we spend per year on their children to educate them ($11,000 average pupil cost +$2,500 extra ESL cost)
Quote:
In 2010, nearly 17 million children ages 17 and under lived at home with at least one immigrant parent. They accounted for 24 percent of the 70.6 million children ages 17 and under in the United States.

Between 1990 and 2000, the number of children ages 17 and under with immigrant parents grew 60 percent from 8.2 million to 13.1 million. Between 2000 and 2010, the number grew 30 percent from 13.1 million to almost 17 million.

Frequently Requested Statistics on Immigrants and Immigration in the United States | migrationpolicy.org
I am concerned about their lack of health care, and please do remember they are exempt from Obamacare laws.
Quote:
According to Migration Policy Institute (MPI) estimates, immigrants accounted for 29 percent of the 46.6 million working-age adults and children under 18 with no health insurance in 2008. Of these 13.4 million uninsured immigrants, about half (6.8 million) were unauthorized immigrants, almost a third (4.2 million) were lawful permanent residents, and another 17 percent (2.3 million) were naturalized citizens.

Unauthorized working-age adults (ages 18 to 64) were about three times more likely to be uninsured (59 percent) than either naturalized citizens (20 percent) or native-born U.S. citizens (16 percent).
I have absolutely zero concerns about self supporting immigrants. Unfortunately, the stats point to that not being the norm, especially for illegal immigrants. Please note, the below stats are from before the latest couple of waves of immigrants.
Quote:
In 2009 (based on data collected in 2010), 57 percent of households headed by an immigrant (legal and illegal) with children (under 18) used at least one welfare program, compared to 39 percent for native households with children.

Immigrant households’ use of welfare tends to be much higher than natives for food assistance programs and Medicaid. Their use of cash and housing programs tends to be similar to native households.

A large share of the welfare used by immigrant households with children is received on behalf of their U.S.-born children, who are American citizens. But even households with children comprised entirely of immigrants (no U.S.-born children) still had a welfare use rate of 56 percent in 2009.

Immigrant households with children used welfare programs at consistently higher rates than natives, even before the current recession. In 2001, 50 percent of all immigrant households with children used at least one welfare program, compared to 32 percent for natives.

Households with children with the highest welfare use rates are those headed by immigrants from the Dominican Republic (82 percent), Mexico and Guatemala (75 percent), and Ecuador (70 percent). Those with the lowest use rates are from the United Kingdom (7 percent), India (19 percent), Canada (23 percent), and Korea (25 percent).

52 percent of households with children headed by legal immigrants used at least one welfare program in 2009, compared to 71 percent for illegal immigrant households with children. Illegal immigrants generally receive benefits on behalf of their U.S.-born children.

Welfare Use by Immigrant Households with Children | Center for Immigration Studies

16,545 posts, read 13,449,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
America is/was the land of freedom and opportunity and pursuit of happiness, right? And many of your ancestors escaped famines in Ireland or clearances by sailing. But when the illegal immigrants from Mexico want to do the same thing Arizona wants to profile them
Why are you so dishonest about what you are saying? Do you know the difference between ILLEGAL and LEGAL immigration? Sheesh!

Old 07-17-2014, 08:02 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,707 times
Quote:
America is/was the land of freedom and opportunity and pursuit of happiness, right? And many of your ancestors escaped famines in Ireland or clearances by sailing. But when the illegal immigrants from Mexico want to do the same thing Arizona wants to profile them
People like myself (as liberal as I am) are not anti-immigration. We are anti-illegal immigration.

My family came from one of the poorest parts of the world. When I was little, sometimes our parents would tell us in the morning to go back to sleep and sleep all day because there weren't anything to eat that day. My parents applied for us to LEGALLY immigrate to the US. 10 years after they submitted their application, it finally went through and we came. We literally waited 10 years in line. As soon as we came over here, we all went to college. 4 of us became engineers, 2 are now department heads in their companies. The 5th is a mathematician working in a nuclear research lab in Kentucky.

The point is from my family's example, anyone from anywhere can do great things when the opportunity is there. And I strongly believe that opportunities should be expanded to more parts of the world. I also strongly believe that people ought to have the opportunity to immigrate here and become contributing members of this society.

But again, my family waited in line for 10 years to come here. And as soon as we came here, we started working really hard to become active contributing members of society.

Now, do you understand why some of us extreme liberals still believe in LEGAL IMMIGRATION?

Old 07-17-2014, 08:02 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,107,428 times
Quote:

Because we were here first!!!! Oh, wait, no we weren't.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:05 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The point is, it is untrue that previous immigrants, Europeans who arrived prior to 1920 anyway, went through some sort of "legal immigration" process. They just got on a boat and came over.
It's 2014 not 1920 . There are now laws

Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:
Because there are legal and illegal ways to become a citizen.

Become one legally, and we will rejoice with you. Try to become one illegal, we'll label you for the criminal taht you are.

If I were a legal immigrant, I would be furious at this situation. All that time and money wasted doing it the legal way. And with one fell swoop, this administration slaps them in the face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies