Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 12:30 PM

9,915 posts, read 9,652,829 times

Advertisements

a person can be the nicest most wonderful person in the world,, and the capability of using a gun, I would say "sorry officer, i'll do that.. thanks!" it does not mean that you are less of a human being because you listened to him.

you can be the nicest sweetest wonderfullest person in the world, but I would count the cost between how I respond to the officer, good or bad, especially if he has a gun and has the authority and capacity to use it on me.

same with cars vs pedestrians, yes you the pedestrian have the right of way before a car, however, even if I had the green walk light, and it was my right to walk, if a car is coming at me, I'm going to move out the way because I know that if that car hits me, I will be hit or killed and then what good is it for me to claim I had the right of way.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
how about don't commit strong armed robbery and fight with cops?

do you really think the cop just wanted to pop him for a lil back talk?

the fact is that cops will shot you if they are one on one and you get into a physical confrontation with them.

they are legally justified--although theoretically restrained by escalation of force doctrine--to take your life if they they "think" their life is in danger.

I am very sorry but unless it really is a cop pulling a Training Day and smoking you for no reason, they are legally justified in shooting people who attack them.

These protesters will not get what they want.

I am generally anti-cop because I think many of them are punks and petit tyrants, but its not about race, it's about control. Black cops can be jerks too but they are not as afraid of blacks as small town white cops are.

I am with Officer Wilson in this case. I dont think the facts support the narrative.
I agree with you on that and I agree with everything the black pastor said on the video. I hope you did not think I was agreeing with the person justifying breaking the law and then expecting a pass for it.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:46 PM

8,099 posts, read 10,143,616 times
Pretty hard to "like" or "dislike" anyone in this situation....as we have few, if any, facts.

Pretty much all we know is that a kid got shot by a cop. The why's and how's have not been out forth yet.

I am sure, in time, that the facts will come out. Perhaps to a Grand Jury at first.

For now, people want information that, for whatever reason, is not available. Had the officer been immediately relieved of his duty, a lot of the noise would have been avoided.

But we don't know why he shot the kid. Nor why the kid was acting like a jerk to begin with.

However curious all of us gawkers are, there is nothing more to see here....and that might be true forever. It will go to a jury, and we might never learn what happened.

And THAT aint gonna make a LOT of folks, who already smell a conspiracy, happy.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:49 PM

when the protestors are saying "we want justice for Michael brown" do they really mean "we want the officer to be found guilty" ?

((as for me, that's not justice, that's a mob))

Old 08-20-2014, 01:00 PM

671 posts, read 692,530 times
Default yes, I'm afraid of young men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Would you feel safer if there was a white person who was anger and was the same size as him? I don't agree with your assessment at all, I think it's stereotypical. If that is your way of looking at black people, then you have a complex. I am not 300 pounds but I am black and I am large man. I am educated, gainfully employed, married, have kids, have never committed a crime in my life, never even been to court for even a traffic ticket, so when you say that, what does his actions have to do with someone like myself? I was raised in a much different environment than he was and have a different outset on life. Statistics do not determine the behavior of a individual, it's the behavior of individuals that make statistics. Some people are negatively influenced by their environments and their circumstances, but everybody doesn't grow up the same, not even within the same racial group.

Did I, or did I NOT say if I was confronted "by a MAN"...didn't say race.

If you read the entire post, and read my links, you would see there is a problem with our youth and crime...both black and white. It so happens that young black men, unfortunately, tend to be much more violent. Yes, that DOES frighten me!!! Statistics like those in the articles DO frighten me. I'd be an idiot if I ignored them.

But racist? No...I'd be JUST as afraid if it was a WHITE big man vs. a black big man who attacked me. I was pointing out some other factors that could have come into play here,- BESIDES "racism".

I was pointing out that this officer could have been frightened by SO many things - data, being attacked, as well as the body's medical/physiologic response coming into play(I'm a physician). That HAS to come into play, or else we're ignoring basic human response.

Also, I was responding to some posts mentioning the officer was pacing back and forth...I thought about that further, and wondered if that could shed some light on his state of mind, his motive or lack of one, etc.

Note, also, I DIDN'T say the officer was right in allowing this to happen, as he should have been trained better to handle this. (BTW, did you see the video about a black cop in this thread stopping a black driver and passenger? He was attacked by not only the driver, but by a black mob. It was absolutely frightening...I think ALL officers have their hands full nowadays...and it takes so much self-control as well as bravery.)

However, being a petite (and handicapped) female, I'll be frank with you and say that if I saw a group of black OR white young men walking toward me, I would find the nearest store to go into. Note that I said black OR white!!! The stats on BOTH groups aren't very reassuring, criminally speaking.

Also, there's a phenomenon called "groupthink mentality". Psychologically, it's been proven that groups of young men are the most dangerous groups in one's society! Each believes the "other" will take the 'fall' if they're caught. Also, if one does something wrong, the rest are apt to follow, for some reason.

I wouldn't feel the same if a group of women was walking toward me. (Hmmm...is that wrong? That's an "ism" as well!) Again, no...it has to do with statistics, female physiology, and the female brain. Very different than that of a man's.

I wholeheartedly agree that there's a myriad of external circumstances out there...and they affect each one differently.

I grew up (younger years) in the ghettos of Newark, NJ. Saw the riots as a very young child outside of my window. Saw a police shooting a black man right in front of my house. There was a lot of violence all around us.
Thankfully, my own parents worked several jobs, scrimped and saved to get us out of there when I was a young teen.

Somehow, I observed that education was my ticket out of poverty, and through hard work and a great deal of personal reliance and responsibility (nothing was EVER handed to me...still isn't...), I succeeded.

Let me emphasize your great point about these circumstances affecting everyone differently...my own sister, very close in age to me, chose a very different and disappointing path. I won't go into further detail, but suffice it to say, and it pains me to say this, but she's been in and out of jail for a variety of criminal activities. We had a very, very difficult childhood...she "reacted" and chose a different path than me.

So, I UNDERSTAND what difficulty is. I UNDERSTAND what poverty is. I UNDERSTAND how the law can be unbalanced and discriminatory. I UNDERSTAND what a broken family is. I UNDERSTAND how people of various races, gender, handicap (I happen to be) and size can be discriminated against. I've lived through it as well.

I appreciate your comments...just don't assume anything about me, either!

I'll end this again by saying this entire shooting and incident is a tragedy any way you look at it. From a parent's standpoint as well, I'm heartbroken for the Brown family.

I still have hope that somehow, all of us can come together, learn from this, and figure out what the heck to do with our young men of both races, as well as what to do about the policemen who I think for the most part, don't want incidents like this to happen. Ever again.

Dandiday

Old 08-20-2014, 01:03 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,452,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1smalldot View Post
I thought police have tasers. Why cant the police officer just use a taser on him to immobilize the teenager? The kids is unarmed, i dont understand why he had to use his gun on him, and shot him, not once, but several times.
LOL.....Ol Rodney King was tased 4 times and kept coming on like Frankenstein.....Brown is even bigger than King.....LOL

Old 08-20-2014, 01:07 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,296,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
LOL.....Ol Rodney King was tased 4 times and kept coming on like Frankenstein.....Brown is even bigger than King.
He was under the effects of a powerful dissociative substance, however.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:08 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,089,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Where's the page for those of us who want him tried for murder?

As if there isn't a page for everything on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/arrestdarrenwilson

Old 08-20-2014, 01:09 PM

By the way, I support the officer in doing his job. And no one knows what they would do if they were in a similar situation.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
How can you support someone when you don't know if what they did was right?
I know enough - that he was doing his job - and you have to hear the case in court, not what is happening with it being discussed and judged and tried in the public square. (on tv in this case).

aside from that, I think enough facts have been given that I can at least say he had a legitimate reason to do what he did.

you might disagree with that split second choice, but with all the things so far I am hearing, I think he had reason to do so. if nothing else, fear of a large man coming at him. I would probably do the same to keep from being killed. that is how I view the situation so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.