Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 07:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times

Advertisements

The media is awful. They are reporting on the background of the officer including his parent's divorce 1989, and his mother being a forgery felon who died 12 years ago. This stuff is not relevant to the shooting!!!

Ferguson, Missouri, police officer who shot Michael Brown defended by friends, boss - CBS News

Old 08-20-2014, 07:31 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
brown and his friend runs. cops get out of car runs after them and shoot off a few. Brown get on the ground hands up and said dont shoot I give up. At this point the cop is hot headed and ego hurt and he shoots brown 4 more times
So this poor guy (after breaking the officer's face) surrendered and lied on the ground with his hands above his head and then the cop shot him while he was lying on the ground because his ego was hurt?

Brown didn't go for the gun? The officer didn't ask him to "freeze?" There was no subsequent charging by Brown?

I doubt your interpretation.

----------------------------------

And not everyone is a movie-esque cold-blooded sharpshooter. In all likelihood, he was stunned and having trouble seeing, he was moving, his much larger attacker who had already broken his face was moving, and closing quickly.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:49 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,992,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I lived in Dallas for a couple of years and twice had run-ins with young Black males. I learned to become very aware of my surroundings and whenever possible would avoid them.

Irrational behavior?

Maybe but better to be safe than sorry.
If you feel as though you have to do that to protect yourself, then I personally don't blame you, but there are going to be people who you may become defensive around who will be offended. Although that maybe your thought process, all I am saying is understand where the innocent will come from. No one who is a upstanding citizen wants to be thought of as threatening to another person just based on their appearance, at least I would hope not.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:51 PM

932 posts, read 900,435 times
Quote:

Your post is full of misinformation and I don't have time right now to go through all of it. For starters, the reports of him having his hands in the air are conflicting and the gunshot wounds don't indicate his hands were in the air. And I just heard a few minutes ago that the original witness has given different accounts, one where his hands were high in the air, one where they were just kind of up a little, and another where he had his hands in the air but had his hands up not to surrender but was taunting the copy saying "what are you gonna do, shoot me?"

Like I said, I can't go into all your misinformation right now. Maybe someone else can. If not, I will come back when I have more time and address it.
How is my post full of misinformation if you have not gone through it already already?

All the witness on air network interviews were all consistent and now the autopsy came out proves what the witness was saying. What is the

The point is not a racist cop its all cops even the black cop the shoot down the 2 white teens and killed them

If me or you shot a person or shot at him 9 or 10 times , do you think we could claim self defense?

This have nothing to do with cops on blacks or black cops on white, alot of you guys are missing the whole point of this

There is white people down there protesting as well

people are fed up

Wait till somebody close to you have something happen then you willthink differently

This remind me of the white man who dogged obamacare, he had a job and insurance and said he didnt want to pay for others bla bla. Anyway he got laid off, no insurance, he ended up getting cancer on his deathbed and they couldnt treat him because he had no insurance

If he had insurance he probably would still be here right now and he cried on live tv saying how sorry he was about talking negative about obamacare.

I'm white if this matters

Old 08-20-2014, 07:53 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,992,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Based on the story that's finally emerging, he had already been attacked. Then he was being charged again, after being assaulted, and after asking the individual, as a law enforcement officer, to "freeze." Of course he feared the individual and immenent bodily harm. Based on that rational fear of immediate personal harm, he had to do what virtually every rational human would do in that situation.
If that account is true, then yes I would understand the reaction of being fearful.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:00 PM

671 posts, read 690,918 times
Default sigh...I'll try again

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
You said:

There is no other way to interpret that. It is clear that you are saying that based on stats, that anyone should be afraid of a young black male. You may have clarified your statement later, but I'm addressing what you said in this sentence since it's clear that you are making an emphasis on the disparity of black male violence. If it didn't matter what the race was, then why would this statement even matter?

Sure, the officer could have been frightened. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? I'm not sure what you are trying to state here. I don't think being afraid justify his actions. Now if he was attacked then that is completely different to justify his actions, but having a fear of the individuals, doesn't mean much of anything. I'm not sure what your point is, perhaps you can elaborate.

. You are using statistics to rationalize your thought process, but that doesn't make it right. It's much easier to be a small female of just about any race than to be a black man in this country. I don't like when people make assumptions about me. I'm just like any other man in this country, I'm just trying to put food on my table and take care of my family. What another black person does, should not be held against me.
OK, fair enough...I'll try again. I was thinking about some posts about the officer "pacing" and not doing anything else after the shooting...one of the witnesses was perplexed about this.

So was I. So, I put my medical hat on, and began to think solely from THAT angle. Thinking about the human body's response to trauma. To fear. To data. To history. To whatever was going on in the officer's mind.

As such, I explained, very briefly, about the "flight or fight" response, the officer's fear and pain from being attacked, that he may have been on "autopilot" during the shooting, and then was walking around, "pacing", in what looked like shock to me.

Being a scientist/medical professional, I believe that understanding some of these aspects may shed some light on this incident. Wouldn't you want to know any additional information such as this, that might help explain this incident?

Rationalizing? You're assuming that, and you're incorrect. As I said twice before, that's NOT the case! Please don't assume what I'm thinking or my motive.

I was trying to figure out what the heck went on here, in this vacuum of information, the widely differing witness accounts, and the media circus along with Sharpton and Jackson fanning the flames of the racism angle instead of trying to gather the facts and any additional information first. As well as any other contributing factors.

So, I think any reasonable person would try to discover and understand what other or additional things may have contributed to this unfortunate incident...besides OR in addition to, the speculation and accusation that this is purely a racist incident!

No one is holding anything against YOU or making assumptions about you. You're the one who specifically challenged what I was saying, made assumptions about me, misinterpreted my statements, and came up with the erroneous conclusion that I am "using statistics to rationalize" my "thought process, but that doesn't make it right". Again, NOT rationalizing, and as I just said above, I was speaking about the medical/physiologic response to being attacked, fear, and what could have been in the officer's mind.

Statistics are a curious thing...yes, they can be also misinterpreted, as well as skewed. However, after doing a google search, time and again, the results were all similar. If I know statistically that smoking will lessen my life by 10 years, I won't smoke. As a female, statistically, I have a 20 to 26% chance of being raped in my lifetime. YOU BET I'll do my best to mitigate my chance of being raped by being aware of my surroundings, not walking alone at night, locking my doors, etc. So, in many cases, statistics DO matter...they DO change my decisions...they DO determine where I go, with whom, and at what time of the day or night.

As I said, I was shocked to see the amount of violent crime perpetrated by young black males (50% of the 18-23 year old population), and wondered if this officer had any of this data in the back of his mind, adding to his fear or confusion in addition to the above contributing factors.

I also was shocked to see the comparison between the types of crime between young males of the two races, as well as the fact that black-on-white crime is hugely disproportionate than the other way around. THIS is disturbing as well.

Knowing these statistics, yes, I WILL be wary of young black men, especially those in a group (refer to the "groupthink mentality" I spoke about in my previous post. I will ALSO be wary of a group of young white males for the same reason.

However, the likelihood of a violent crime perpetrated by a black man IS much more so than a white man. These stats are in the back of my mind, and as a result, I WILL be careful where I go. I won't go into predominately black neighborhoods. Those are just the facts.

I don't know how else I can explain this, and if you refuse to understand the reality of the amount of crime by young men, and violent crime by young black men, well, I can't say anything else.

As far as your statement, " It's much easier to be a small female of just about any race than to be a black man in this country", I think that's quite a loaded, untrue statement, and another completely erroneous assumption by you.

You have no idea what it's like being female. Being afraid of practically everywhere you go...the fear of abduction, sexual assault, and murder. It's "open season" on women.

Approximately 66 young girls are kidnapped, sexually assaulted, and killed every year. I've already commented on the rape stats.

***The National Domestic Violence Statistics report that a woman is beaten every 15 seconds in this country. Every day, 4 women die, and 3 children die as a result of abuse or attacks by men. (from: National Statistics) .

So, you see, it's no picnic being female in this country, either.

Look, the bottom line here regarding Brown and the officer, is that it's a more complicated incident than what people realize or are willing to admit. Until we do, and until we delve into every aspect of this, including racism and what I've noted above, the acrimony and violence will continue. I, for one, do not want it to continue...

-Dandiday

Old 08-20-2014, 08:02 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,768 times
Quote:
No one who is an upstanding citizen wants to be thought of as threatening to another person just based on their appearance...
I would probably agree with that. Notice the bolded italicized parts.

But let me change it just a bit:

Quote:
No one wants to be thought of as threatening to another person...
I absolutely do not agree with that. There are people who cultivate and revel in being threatening or thought of as threatening, whether or not they would actually act on the implication of threat. This can be by appearance or by what is said or both.

There's a guy at work who has been making noise about the coming revolution when whiteys like me will run for our lives. He said he's a "bad mother******" and will "f*** me up." None of this is tongue-in-cheek or ironic or said with a knowing wink. He wants to appear as genuine and threatening and righteous as possible. He definitely cultivates the dangerous, 'could go off at any time,' 'ready to kill us all' aspect of his personality and our perception. Would he actually do anything? Dunno, probably not, but he enjoys the intimidation and the threats and making us think he's crazy and dangerous.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
If that account is true, then yes I would understand the reaction of being fearful.
The officer was so called attacked while in his car, if he was in fear, you dont get out of the car to confront the person your in fear of. Stay in car and call in backup

Old 08-20-2014, 08:09 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,600,737 times
Amazing how one lady was exercising her right to protest her feelings, she was protesting FOR the officer, and the police whisked her away. AMAZING!!! that she could NOT march her rights so the protestors who stopped her ARE HYPOCRITES.

the police had to take her away for her own safety, im sure. I just caught a few snippets from TV tonight, but from what i did see, that was totally hypocrital. those protestors who wont let this lady exercise her free speech rights ARE HYPOCRITES AND DO NOT WANT TRUE JUSTICE but they only want their mixed up vigilante bullhockey. I am so against the protestors now who did this to this one lady. ONE LADY protesting!!!!!

Old 08-20-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Amazing how one lady was exercising her right to protest her feelings, she was protesting FOR the officer, and the police whisked her away. AMAZING!!! that she could NOT march her rights so the protestors who stopped her ARE HYPOCRITES.

the police had to take her away for her own safety, im sure. I just caught a few snippets from TV tonight, but from what i did see, that was totally hypocrital. those protestors who wont let this lady exercise her free speech rights ARE HYPOCRITES AND DO NOT WANT TRUE JUSTICE but they only want their mixed up vigilante bullhockey. I am so against the protestors now who did this to this one lady. ONE LADY protesting!!!!!
You just dont get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies