Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 05:27 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,382,612 times

Advertisements

I know an officer who joined a manhunt for a criminal who had just critically wounded another officer. When he tracked the criminal down, the perp shot him in the face. The officer shot and killed the man. There was a total uproar because a white cop killed a black man. It never ends. I'm sure that scenario has raised its ugly head during all this crap.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:50 PM

26,200 posts, read 21,690,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
You have posted this tripe twice and it was from right wing news sources on both occasions. Neither one appears to be a credible source of "news". Some of the posters in the comments section also appear to be blatantly racist.

Well Fox News now reporting the injury to said officer

Missouri cop was badly beaten before shooting Michael Brown, says source | Fox News

Old 08-20-2014, 06:00 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,017,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
Did I, or did I NOT say if I was confronted "by a MAN"...didn't say race.

If you read the entire post, and read my links, you would see there is a problem with our youth and crime...both black and white. It so happens that young black men, unfortunately, tend to be much more violent. Yes, that DOES frighten me!!! Statistics like those in the articles DO frighten me. I'd be an idiot if I ignored them.

But racist? No...I'd be JUST as afraid if it was a WHITE big man vs. a black big man who attacked me. I was pointing out some other factors that could have come into play here,- BESIDES "racism".

I was pointing out that this officer could have been frightened by SO many things - data, being attacked, as well as the body's medical/physiologic response coming into play(I'm a physician). That HAS to come into play, or else we're ignoring basic human response.

Also, I was responding to some posts mentioning the officer was pacing back and forth...I thought about that further, and wondered if that could shed some light on his state of mind, his motive or lack of one, etc.

Note, also, I DIDN'T say the officer was right in allowing this to happen, as he should have been trained better to handle this. (BTW, did you see the video about a black cop in this thread stopping a black driver and passenger? He was attacked by not only the driver, but by a black mob. It was absolutely frightening...I think ALL officers have their hands full nowadays...and it takes so much self-control as well as bravery.)

However, being a petite (and handicapped) female, I'll be frank with you and say that if I saw a group of black OR white young men walking toward me, I would find the nearest store to go into. Note that I said black OR white!!! The stats on BOTH groups aren't very reassuring, criminally speaking.

Also, there's a phenomenon called "groupthink mentality". Psychologically, it's been proven that groups of young men are the most dangerous groups in one's society! Each believes the "other" will take the 'fall' if they're caught. Also, if one does something wrong, the rest are apt to follow, for some reason.

I wouldn't feel the same if a group of women was walking toward me. (Hmmm...is that wrong? That's an "ism" as well!) Again, no...it has to do with statistics, female physiology, and the female brain. Very different than that of a man's.

I wholeheartedly agree that there's a myriad of external circumstances out there...and they affect each one differently.

I grew up (younger years) in the ghettos of Newark, NJ. Saw the riots as a very young child outside of my window. Saw a police shooting a black man right in front of my house. There was a lot of violence all around us.
Thankfully, my own parents worked several jobs, scrimped and saved to get us out of there when I was a young teen.

Somehow, I observed that education was my ticket out of poverty, and through hard work and a great deal of personal reliance and responsibility (nothing was EVER handed to me...still isn't...), I succeeded.

Let me emphasize your great point about these circumstances affecting everyone differently...my own sister, very close in age to me, chose a very different and disappointing path. I won't go into further detail, but suffice it to say, and it pains me to say this, but she's been in and out of jail for a variety of criminal activities. We had a very, very difficult childhood...she "reacted" and chose a different path than me.

So, I UNDERSTAND what difficulty is. I UNDERSTAND what poverty is. I UNDERSTAND how the law can be unbalanced and discriminatory. I UNDERSTAND what a broken family is. I UNDERSTAND how people of various races, gender, handicap (I happen to be) and size can be discriminated against. I've lived through it as well.

I appreciate your comments...just don't assume anything about me, either!

I'll end this again by saying this entire shooting and incident is a tragedy any way you look at it. From a parent's standpoint as well, I'm heartbroken for the Brown family.

I still have hope that somehow, all of us can come together, learn from this, and figure out what the heck to do with our young men of both races, as well as what to do about the policemen who I think for the most part, don't want incidents like this to happen. Ever again.

Dandiday

You said:

Quote:
with the knowledge of the overwhelming prevalence of young black male crime and violence (over 50% of their population and age group) as opposed to young white men who, according to the data, have less crime, and much less violent crime, I'm sure ALL policemen, black and white, are "on edge" to the max!
There is no other way to interpret that. It is clear that you are saying that based on stats, that anyone should be afraid of a young black male. You may have clarified your statement later, but I'm addressing what you said in this sentence since it's clear that you are making an emphasis on the disparity of black male violence. If it didn't matter what the race was, then why would this statement even matter?

I never called you racist. I am sorry but you are coming off a bit insecure about your relations with black people. Not sure where you got the notion that I was calling you racist. Complex is different than being racist. I could sit there and be afraid of a person who wears a red coat because I was robbed by someone with a red coat. That doesn't mean I am racist towards that person, it means that my perception is painted by a bad experience and I may project that experience on others that looks the same. That is a complex and that is what you are exhibiting. It's irrational behavior. That is like a man saying he can't date you because you remind him of a woman that cheated on him. That has nothing to do with you.

Sure, the officer could have been frightened. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? I'm not sure what you are trying to state here. I don't think being afraid justify his actions. Now if he was attacked then that is completely different to justify his actions, but having a fear of the individuals, doesn't mean much of anything. I'm not sure what your point is, perhaps you can elaborate.

I hear you. I'm not assuming anything about you, I'm just taking your comments on face value. I know what it's like to have people assume negative things about you just because of how you look, I'm just giving you a perspective from the other side. In your mind you might be okay with that thought process, but no one would ever want to be put in that position. You are using statistics to rationalize your thought process, but that doesn't make it right. It's much easier to be a small female of just about any race than to be a black man in this country. I don't like when people make assumptions about me. I'm just like any other man in this country, I'm just trying to put food on my table and take care of my family. What another black person does, should not be held against me.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:14 PM

311 posts, read 56,945 times
since this is an open furom.. here's my thought... could it be that the % of crime by black male is higher than white male is because they let most of the white ones get away with it and the black ones usually get arrested making their percentage higher?

Old 08-20-2014, 06:22 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,292,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I don't think being afraid justify his actions. Now if he was attacked then that is completely different to justify his actions, but having a fear of the individuals, doesn't mean much of anything.
Based on the story that's finally emerging, he had already been attacked. Then he was being charged again, after being assaulted, and after asking the individual, as a law enforcement officer, to "freeze." Of course he feared the individual and immenent bodily harm. Based on that rational fear of immediate personal harm, he had to do what virtually every rational human would do in that situation.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:26 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,292,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1smalldot View Post
could it be that the % of crime by black male is higher than white male is because they let most of the white ones get away with it and the black ones usually get arrested making their percentage higher?
Nice conspiracy theory.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:28 PM

13,984 posts, read 8,146,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
.... I could sit there and be afraid of a person who wears a red coat because I was robbed by someone with a red coat. That doesn't mean I am racist towards that person, it means that my perception is painted by a bad experience and I may project that experience on others that looks the same. That is a complex and that is what you are exhibiting. It's irrational behavior. That is like a man saying he can't date you because you remind him of a woman that cheated on him. That has nothing to do with you.

I lived in Dallas for a couple of years and twice had run-ins with young Black males. I learned to become very aware of my surroundings and whenever possible would avoid them.

Irrational behavior?

Maybe but better to be safe than sorry.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:28 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,169,027 times
The media was pretty quick to start up the public relations for Mr. Brown. I think it's time to turn on the fire hoses and give these "peacful" protesters and the media a good washing.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:20 PM

932 posts, read 903,838 times
Ok lets say he did give the police officer injuries. The facts still doesn't go away the BROWN had his hands in the air saying dont shoot right? Multiple witness reports this

basically this is what i think happen. Cop was driving down the street, told both of the teens to get the heck out the street, brown cursed him out, cop put in reverse almost hit them as reported, asked what did you say, brown got smart, cop grabbed him threw the window and they struggled, brown cocked the police officer in the face.

Cop get his ego hurt and is upset. Cop grab gun shot once through the door and miss as reported. brown and his friend runs. cops get out of car runs after them and shoot off a few. Brown get on the ground hands up and said dont show I give up. At this point the cop is hot headed and ego hurt and he shoots brown 4 more times

Now there is also video of the cop next to brown body, cop had no visible injuries nor did he ask for an ambulance after 5 hours.

You cant deny the facts

I'm not saying brown was a saint, but nobody should die over what he did. Cops need to control their anger

another thing cops are trained shooters. all the hits on brown was on his arms, top of head and eye. And why does it take 9 shots to take down 1 person? the other shots missed and hit the nearby apartments. If somebody is charging you how do you miss and hit other apartments especially if the person is charging in a downward position

Also Brown was 6'4 cop was 5'10. Brown have had to be running on his hands to get shot on top of head while charging

Once again we cant deny the facts.

No other "REAL" news media is reporting wilson got a fracture which is untrue especially since they got video of him talking acting normal after the shooting and no injuries

and here is something else to dwell on ..
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...9bda29646.html

Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,321,484 times
[quote=key2success;36170891]Ok lets say he did give the police officer injuries. The facts still doesn't go away the BROWN had his hands in the air saying dont shoot right? Multiple witness reports this

basically this is what i think happen. Cop was driving down the street, told both of the teens to get the heck out the street, brown cursed him out, cop put in reverse almost hit them as reported, asked what did you say, brown got smart, cop grabbed him threw the window and they struggled, brown cocked the police officer in the face.

Cop get his ego hurt and is upset. Cop grab gun shot once through the door and miss as reported. brown and his friend runs. cops get out of car runs after them and shoot off a few. Brown get on the ground hands up and said dont show I give up. At this point the cop is hot headed and ego hurt and he shoots brown 4 more times

Now there is also video of the cop next to brown body, cop had no visible injuries nor did he ask for an ambulance after 5 hours.

You cant deny the facts

I'm not saying brown was a saint, but nobody should die over what he did. Cops need to control their anger

another thing cops are trained shooters. all the hits on brown was on his arms, top of head and eye. And why does it take 9 shots to take down 1 person? the other shots missed and hit the nearby apartments. If somebody is charging you how do you miss and hit other apartments especially if the person is charging in a downward position

Also Brown was 6'4 cop was 5'10. Brown have had to be running on his hands to get shot on top of head while charging

Once again we cant deny the facts.

No other "REAL" news media is reporting wilson got a fracture which is untrue especially since they got video of him talking acting normal after the shooting and no injuries

and here is something else to dwell on ..
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...9bda29646.html[/quote]

Your post is full of misinformation and I don't have time right now to go through all of it. For starters, the reports of him having his hands in the air are conflicting and the gunshot wounds don't indicate his hands were in the air. And I just heard a few minutes ago that the original witness has given different accounts, one where his hands were high in the air, one where they were just kind of up a little, and another where he had his hands in the air but had his hands up not to surrender but was taunting the copy saying "what are you gonna do, shoot me?"

Like I said, I can't go into all your misinformation right now. Maybe someone else can. If not, I will come back when I have more time and address it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies