Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 03:29 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But schools cannot do that on an individual basis.
So it's a one shot fits all lunch.

Parents have the choice to make lunch for their kids everyday.
This should not be the issue it is because it's not like home brought lunches are banned..at least not yet.

But I think I read somewhere that WHAT a parent can pack is being decided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 03:35 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
But I think I read somewhere that WHAT a parent can pack is being decided.
I did too. Not in connection to the pink cookie but yes, the subject of a home packed lunch having to meet guidelines has come up before. I do not know if there have been actual confirmed cases of home packed lunches being prohibited/inspected though.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:50 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,357,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I did too. Not in connection to the pink cookie but yes, the subject of a home packed lunch having to meet guidelines has come up before. I do not know if there have been actual confirmed cases of home packed lunches being prohibited/inspected though.

My hairdresser related to me an incident that happened to one of her other clients. An overzealous aide in the elementary school at a neighboring district took it upon herself to inspect sack lunches last year...and confiscated any lunches she deemed "unhealthy". She confiscated the lunch that the client had packed for her child - a peanut butter sandwich, bag of chips, snack cake, and Little Hug drink - because it contained no vegetables, fruit, or dairy.

What ticks me off is that at the cafeteria where I work, we can no longer prepare homemade chili, meatloaf, stuffed peppers, pierogi, kielbasa, etc. - yet we can still serve chicken nuggets, Chef Boyardee Ravioli, and pizza? Even our soups have been eliminated, because they are deemed too high in fat and sodium. In other words, we are eliminating the foods that are HOMEMADE and replacing them with processed crap just because they meet the government's criteria.

On a positive note, into the first week of school, the kids seemed to enjoy the salad bar. We had to restock it several times.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:07 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
My hairdresser related to me an incident that happened to one of her other clients. An overzealous aide in the elementary school at a neighboring district took it upon herself to inspect sack lunches last year...and confiscated any lunches she deemed "unhealthy". She confiscated the lunch that the client had packed for her child - a peanut butter sandwich, bag of chips, snack cake, and Little Hug drink - because it contained no vegetables, fruit, or dairy.

What ticks me off is that at the cafeteria where I work, we can no longer prepare homemade chili, meatloaf, stuffed peppers, pierogi, kielbasa, etc. - yet we can still serve chicken nuggets, Chef Boyardee Ravioli, and pizza? Even our soups have been eliminated, because they are deemed too high in fat and sodium. In other words, we are eliminating the foods that are HOMEMADE and replacing them with processed crap just because they meet the government's criteria.

On a positive note, into the first week of school, the kids seemed to enjoy the salad bar. We had to restock it several times.
Just out of curiosity.... which did the kids prefer... Homemade or the processed junk?

Old 08-31-2014, 11:22 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,357,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Just out of curiosity.... which did the kids prefer... Homemade or the processed junk?
A lot of the kids preferred purchasing the homemade a la carte foods, but they had to pay cash only - most of the processed "junk" was found in the goverment mandated main line lunch (the lunch available to the free/reduced lunch students). Most of the teachers purchased their lunch a la carte.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:11 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,371,679 times
We should all be more incensed about the cookies the NSA puts on our computers than the cookies our kids put in their mouths.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:42 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Amazing how many pictures are out there of the First Lady and The President eating ^^......what is up with that!

I personally would avoid pictures of eating if I was pushing people not to eat.

Food Police and no time for ISIS.
They don't push people not to eat. The president takes people out for cheeseburgers quite openly, and Michelle encourages people to eat healthily and get exercise.

But if you want to eat a pound of butter and 6 cups of powdered sugar--nobody will stop you. Sounds disgusting, but enjoy.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:55 PM

Interestingly enough, just found out the schools in our district had to eliminate the a la carte options that kids could buy with cash. They always have the regular lunch meal but kids could buy additional items with their own money - the extra food came from the culinary classes there on campus. The schools used them to help funds the arts programs and field trips. Even though my daughter graduated last year, she's been hearing about it. The kids are pretty PO'ed but so is the school administration. Apparently, it was their best fundraiser. I think, at the high school level especially, this is a bit nuts. Not sure why they did away with this option. So, it appears, it's not just the pink cookie.

As an aside, the a la carte food was all fresh made onsite and all of the government school lunches are made offsite and reheated on site. They are pretty darn gross. I don't blame those kids for being mad. Wonder what the culinary classes will do with all that extra food now?? What a waste.

Last edited by southbel; 08-31-2014 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: more to say

Old 08-31-2014, 10:53 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Interestingly enough, just found out the schools in our district had to eliminate the a la carte options that kids could buy with cash. They always have the regular lunch meal but kids could buy additional items with their own money - the extra food came from the culinary classes there on campus. The schools used them to help funds the arts programs and field trips. Even though my daughter graduated last year, she's been hearing about it. The kids are pretty PO'ed but so is the school administration. Apparently, it was their best fundraiser. I think, at the high school level especially, this is a bit nuts. Not sure why they did away with this option. So, it appears, it's not just the pink cookie.

As an aside, the a la carte food was all fresh made onsite and all of the government school lunches are made offsite and reheated on site. They are pretty darn gross. I don't blame those kids for being mad. Wonder what the culinary classes will do with all that extra food now?? What a waste.

If they are that mad then they should bring their lunch. I always packed my kids lunch even in high school.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
If they are that mad then they should bring their lunch. I always packed my kids lunch even in high school.
And they are but it's still a silly thing because of both the wasted food from the culinary classes and the lost funds that benefited the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies