Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 11:40 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Those enacting the rules will get the blame.

Is Bundy still grazing his cattle?

The IRS can make one person upset. (until recently). Go after a school and you can make an entire community upset.
The reality is that no school, which is in and of itself, a government owned body, will not engage in civil disobedience. That's just not going to happen. They can't afford to lose the funding and it's like everything the Federal government does and/or pushes. Once you take money from them, they own you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,544 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
I don't know that I argued you could.

I doubt this story has any validity to it.
Are you saying im lying or that you think it is out of the norm.

If its the second, then i would agree, most school districts offer breakfast to all its kids.

My specific example is of my school district( which was fresh out of cash) not all of them; And not specifically the lunch program, but to your example, as i believe the coaches paid for those meals, not the school. because football players get alot of perks other kids dont get like free tutors. It was nothing more than grits, eggs, sausage and biscuits, but it was something not offered to the other 1200 kids as i previously stated.

heck, there is a team meal after ever game, again, not afforded to every 1200 students ?

Old 09-02-2014, 11:43 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Nancy Reagan's, "Just Say No" campaign was equally ineffective and ridiculous. What exactly do you think the kids in the cafeteria are going to learn from this? Remember, it's not that the food is necessarily "healthy", in many cases, it's just smaller portions of unhealthy food. Who are you calling a moron?
If some children learn a good lesson on health and diet it is not ineffective or ridiculous. Anyone that poo poo's common sense, that is who I refer to as morons, they always turn out to fit the description to the letter.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:45 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Nancy Reagan's, "Just Say No" campaign was equally ineffective and ridiculous. What exactly do you think the kids in the cafeteria are going to learn from this? Remember, it's not that the food is necessarily "healthy", in many cases, it's just smaller portions of unhealthy food. Who are you calling a moron?
just say no . . .is an apple to this Orange.

The Fed Govt runs and helps pays for your local school lunches. They are 100% more capable at influencing and changing the way things are done (compared to Just say no).

So don't confuse campaigns.

I'm all about Govt staying out of crap. But until we pull the plug on education spending (and go all private) than you will eat what the feds tell you to

Old 09-02-2014, 11:49 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
If some children learn a good lesson on health and diet it is not ineffective or ridiculous. Anyone that poo poo's common sense, that is who I refer to as morons, they always turn out to fit the description to the letter.
What kind of lesson though? As I said earlier the menu at my daughter's school today calls for a slice of pizza from a local greasy pizza chain. What kind of lesson about nutrition do you think the kids in that cafeteria will learn today? Those who have money will just buy a second slice because they will still be hungry. Those who don't will just be hungry and have greasy pizza in their stomachs to boot and when they get home from school will stuff their face with whatever is in the cupboard and fridge. What is the lesson?

One day a teacher at my child's school took away a kid's snack because it was not nutritious. They were right, it wasn't, it was a big fat cookie. However, in return they gave her a package of Goldfish crackers which are also not healthy. If healthy food was actually the goal then maybe I could see the point but since healthy food is not actually the true goal then I really don't see the point.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:07 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
What kind of lesson though? As I said earlier the menu at my daughter's school today calls for a slice of pizza from a local greasy pizza chain. What kind of lesson about nutrition do you think the kids in that cafeteria will learn today? Those who have money will just buy a second slice because they will still be hungry. Those who don't will just be hungry and have greasy pizza in their stomachs to boot and when they get home from school will stuff their face with whatever is in the cupboard and fridge. What is the lesson?

One day a teacher at my child's school took away a kid's snack because it was not nutritious. They were right, it wasn't, it was a big fat cookie. However, in return they gave her a package of Goldfish crackers which are also not healthy. If healthy food was actually the goal then maybe I could see the point but since healthy food is not actually the true goal then I really don't see the point.
Because some administrators and teachers are clueless about nutrition then we should not even bring up the subject. Jeeez, this is simply not worth discussing further, don't like the idea then eat what you want give your children what you or they want. I do not really care that much I have no children in the system and could not care less if everyone wants to whine about someone trying to help them. All I have to do is walk around in public these days to realize many people simply do not understand the terms "moderation" or exercise" (God forbid anyone goes there). Life is full of choices, I chose to say I have had my say on this ridiculous whine of a topic and it is time to move onto another topic.
Have Fun Now

Old 09-02-2014, 12:08 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
The reality is that no school, which is in and of itself, a government owned body, will not engage in civil disobedience. That's just not going to happen. They can't afford to lose the funding and it's like everything the Federal government does and/or pushes. Once you take money from them, they own you.

Many school districts are "opting out" of the school lunch program because it is cheaper to walk away from "free" money than it is to comply with the onerous regulations.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:11 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,518,799 times
What's hilarious is the cd idiocracy bending over backwards to try to defend mobama's ridiculous and overreaching declarations from on high. You just can't fix stupid.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:13 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
It may be the only meal they get and can use the extra calories. There is no one size fits all meal plan and it's foolish to believe there is.

The 6'5 215 lb football player with practice right after school needs far more calories than his 5'2 115 lb classmate.
Only because the game prefers and has come to be restrictive to any body of less body mass than a walking pick-up truck.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:14 PM

23,852 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Why can't these students pack their own lunches? They are not forced to buy their lunches from the school lunchroom.
Actually, in some places, they are. Many schools/districts have implemented policies about bringing food from home, because of one or two kids in the entire student body that have an allergy to peanuts or other foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies