Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 01:28 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh I read about it all the time. Complaining that the profits should be used to increase worker wages.
Plenty of talk about McDonald's profits, Walmart profits, etc. and how they are greedy hoarders.
If you don't pay your workers enough to afford your products, your company will (esp. if it caters to the lower priced workers) sooner or later crash.

As Wal-Mart and McDonalds are discovering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 01:28 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Are you asking us to read through an 80 page thread to find your talking points or did you think your 3 post on the last page made your point ?

Im not trying to be mean, i just honestly dont see the connection here.
Yes you do. You just cant bring yourself to complain about the way things have been ran the last decade or so because then you would have to admit that the problem is bipartisan.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:30 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
No, I'm not rich but I did work and earn enough during my productive years to live a comfortable retirement lifestyle. I never expected anyone to look out for me or my family except myself. You should try that mindset yourself and you too might enjoy the same golden years that I am enjoying.
Never mind that as you are in your 60's means you 'came of age' in a very prosperous time. I'm sure you made the most of your opportunities...but the opportunities were there.

Where are they now? Is some kid coming of age *now* supposed to do what you did minus those opportunities?

Ever think that maybe luck had quite a bit to do with your success?

Old 08-30-2014, 01:35 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,760,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wrong. Most of these "profits" are coming from other countries.
Take a look at annual reports.
US sales are stagnant or declining compared to other emerging nations who are seeing double digit growth.
Thats because we are not paying our middle class and lower class workers a good wage. Basic economics. Our countries economic welfare is based on 75% selling and buying of goods. Majority of your consumers are your middle class and lower class. This is why you pay them good so they go out and buy more goods, then that creates more demand for goods and jobs. Then business hires more people who in return build a bigger tax base and pay taxes that fund programs to educate a stronger workforce.

Its not that anyone is anti-rich. Its just inequal wealth distributions is terrible for the growth of the economy. For example, being rich isn't bad, wealth isnt bad. Its just how many cars or goods are the few wealthy going to buy that hold most of the wealth?

Old 08-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes you do. You just cant bring yourself to complain about the way things have been ran the last decade or so because then you would have to admit that the problem is bipartisan.
You seem to not be understanding so let me try again.

You posted a link to the last page of an 80 page thread. On that page, you posted 2 comments, all of which are one liners that dont actually speak to what you typed. im going to quote you just to show you what you actually typed because, based on previous conversation, you will claim you said more than you actually did.

Quote:
So why argue that it isn't?

No it isn't. You have argued with me and then end up agreeing with me while pretending you aren't. Do we really need to continue?
Quote:
Excuse me, the source of the stuff I have to go clean up out of the yard is letting me know he wants out.

So either you didnt realize that this is all you posted on the last page, or you are asking us to read through 80 pages to find your point. no one is going to do that.

So lets make a compromise, simply state some example for us to debate over.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:44 PM

19,788 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
No, it's actually the complete opposite. Welfare is being given money for doing nothing. Corporations are keeping their own money that they earned and was already theirs.
Not quite. Most on the left or the right don't quite understand subsidies and who may actually benefit from them. Forbes has a really good article as it pertains to oil.

The Surprising Reason That Oil Subsidies Persist: Even Liberals Love Them - Forbes

This is an interesting tidbit-
Quote:
In fact, look at the reaction from Democrats when President Obama tried to reduce funding for the program. Rep. Markey’s office said: “If these cuts are real, it would be a very disappointing development for millions of families still struggling through a harsh winter.” Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., noted her opposition: “The President’s reported proposal to drastically slash LIHEAP funds by more than half would have a severe impact on many of New Hampshire’s most vulnerable citizens and I strongly oppose it.” Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., wrote a letter to President Obama that stated in part: “We simply cannot afford to cut LIHEAP funding during one of the most brutal winters in history. Families across Massachusetts, and the country, depend on these monies to heat their homes and survive the season.” Yet each one of these Democrats was defending a program that is lumped into that all-encompassing category of “oil subsidies.”
LIHEAP funding is calculated into the 'oil industry' subsidy category. That's the line item it is found under in the budget. When Obama's budget team tried to reduce that (as some would could it welfare) subsidy, a lot of people cried. A lot. Therefore, that subsidy still remains. If you look at what the subsidy impacts- it's both corporate and individual. Well, kind of. In a round about sorta way.

The rest of the article is quite good. Both left and right are essentially dimwitted to what a subsidy may actually mean.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:46 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Wage discussion is another issue. Do you have quotes of people who appreciate the stock market complain about profits? That's the claim the OP makes.
Nothing?

Old 08-30-2014, 01:49 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,760,448 times
Quote:
No, I'm not rich but I did work and earn enough during my productive years to live a comfortable retirement lifestyle. I never expected anyone to look out for me or my family except myself. You should try that mindset yourself and you too might enjoy the same golden years that I am enjoying.
Lol what makes you think im not. Seriously, i believe in workhard and smart work, keeping away from things that bring you down, make good choices. These are just part of the success formula. The problem i have with the cons mindset is they think this is all that is needed in the success formula. Thats bogus. You need opportunity and this day and age opportunity is creatted by money. I own a small business and i beat my corporate competition in quality and service every year. Guess what? We are the poorest company. I can't complete in marketing as my corporate competition can, just can't afford it. Being hard working and ambitious can only take you so far. thats reality.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Thats because we are not paying our middle class and lower class workers a good wage. Basic economics. Our countries economic welfare is based on 75% selling and buying of goods. Majority of your consumers are your middle class and lower class. This is why you pay them good so they go out and buy more goods, then that creates more demand for goods and jobs. Then business hires more people who in return build a bigger tax base and pay taxes that fund programs to educate a stronger workforce.

Its not that anyone is anti-rich. Its just inequal wealth distributions is terrible for the growth of the economy. For example, being rich isn't bad, wealth isnt bad. Its just how many cars or goods are the few wealthy going to buy that hold most of the wealth?
Prosperity comes from producing, not consuming.

Wanting to give people more money so they can "buy stuff" is nothing more than short term satisfaction.

We have gone from a producer nation to a consumer nation.
As a consumer nation the majority of jobs will be service related.
Service is a low paying industry..always has been and always will be.

And instead of worrying about what the next future industry will be that the US can get a leap on we spend time bickering about how to keep the lower classes "buying stuff".

Old 08-30-2014, 02:00 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Are you sitting on any corporate board as CEO?
I am, and I doubt that most people here know how a corporation functions....Many of you are corporate owners whether you know it or not...If you or your pension fund own equity or dividend stocks or mutual funds in these, then you are an owner.... Here is an average of how corporate funds are allocated....

Total corporate profits are distributed in three ways. One portion is used to pay corporate profits taxes.(40 to 50%) A second is undistributed corporate profits retained by corporations to finance capital investment. (30 to 35%) And a third is then paid out as dividends to shareholders, or corporate owners. (20 to 30%).....Now what is your problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies