Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 11:59 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Why would I - as an atheist - demand that kids not be allowed to pray at school?
Well it worked for that old cow atheist, Madeline Murray. She gave atheists a bad name. She also stopped prayer in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 12:09 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well it worked for that old cow atheist, Madeline Murray. She gave atheists a bad name. She also stopped prayer in school.
She stopped school-led prayer, most certainly not prayer in school. Isn't there some sort of rule against false witness y'all are supposed to adhere to, or do I remember incorrectly?

Old 09-08-2014, 12:10 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
You're comparing apples to oranges, plus you're lying that prayer has been stopped at school. If a government agent (i.e. a teacher or administrator) were leading the prayer or requiring student participation in the prayer or requiring student attendance at the prayer, then the school should be sued and sued immediately (Like Murray rightfully did).

But this is students choosing to pray on their own. That's their 1st Amendment right.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges, plus you're lying that prayer has been stopped at school. If a government agent (i.e. a teacher or administrator) were leading the prayer or requiring student participation in the prayer or requiring student attendance at the prayer, then the school should be sued and sued immediately (Like Murray rightfully did).

But this is students choosing to pray on their own. That's their 1st Amendment right.
Fat chance they have time to do that. There is a program, "meet you at the pole" that Christians have started that allows students to meet outside school before school starts but it's only once a year.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:26 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxvL-7pXxvU

This student figured out how to incorporate prayer in school. LOL

Old 09-08-2014, 12:36 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Fat chance they have time to do that. There is a program, "meet you at the pole" that Christians have started that allows students to meet outside school before school starts but it's only once a year.
Time to do what? Pray?

Of course there's time. Thinking back to when I was in high school, we had 8, 50 minute periods. Of those, we had 6 classes - leaving 1 period for lunch and one off-period (I always tried to arrange my schedule so that my lunch and off-period were back-to-back so that I could go home for 2 hours in the middle of the day if I wanted). And my last semester of HS, I only took 5 classes - meaning I had 3 off periods.

That's several hours I could have spent in prayer while at school were I so inclined.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:48 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, they did not. According to the school board member, they only asked to be allowed to observe Salat:Sunnyside accommodates Desert View Muslim students’ prayer

They didn't ask for accomodations. They only asked to be allowed to pray.
They asked for their need to pray to be accommodated on school property during school hours. What, you think this is a motel? There are several other meanings of the word "accommodation" than "room."

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The school district took it upon themselves to provide an unrequested prayer room. By doing so, they legally obligated themselves to provide unrequested prayer rooms for every other religion. Not doing so is discrimination on the basis of religion, which is illegal.

I'm not sure why you don't agree that all religions should be treated equally. Unrequested prayer room for only one religion? Illegal. Has to be unrequested prayer rooms for all.
No, it is you that is asking the school to do something illegal. The school has a written policy that the muslim kids followed. Yet you are demanding that the school offer religious accommodation to any and all kids who have not asked for it, which means that you think it is OK to ask *only* the muslim kids to jump through the specified administrative hoops.

There is no evidence that any other kids at Desert View have asked for religious accommodation and been denied it. As you well know. And also, as you well know, the school cannot take the lead and announce that room 12 is open for any random christians to use for prayer, because that puts the school in the position of a school authority initiating a religious activity.

Last edited by jacqueg; 09-08-2014 at 12:59 AM..

Old 09-08-2014, 12:53 AM

Quote:
And it is ranters like you that give religious people a bad name.

My mother was a fundamentalist protestant. We had catholic relatives and she would not allow me to attend mass. Are you really so sure you would like a teacher of a different religion than you leading your kids in bible study and prayer?

Old 09-08-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Please post the school policy that limits "meet you at the pole" to once a year. Include the school and/or district name and the date the policy was approved by the relevant school board. Please post also whether the christian group in question asked for more frequent "meet at the pole" events, and if they did, the school's rationale for not allowing it.

(Links will do.)

Old 09-08-2014, 02:18 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
They asked for their need to pray to be accommodated on school property during school hours.
No, they did not. You're putting words in their mouths. All they asked for was to be allowed to observe Salat. They asked to be allowed to pray. They did not ask for accommodations in which to pray.

When the school district took it upon themselves to provide the Muslim students an unrequested prayer room, they legally obligated themselves to provide unrequested prayer rooms for all religions.

Again, not doing so is discrimination on the basis of religion, which is illegal.

I'm not sure why you don't agree that all religions should be treated equally. Unrequested prayer room for only one religion? Illegal. Has to be unrequested prayer rooms for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies