Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 09:25 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I can tell you how we do it. We cut employees hours and we increase the price of our merchandise a little bit.
There is no other way.

My family runs retail stores in the shopping mall. ALL chain stores in the mall have cut employees' hours. Money doesn't grow on the tree. Somebody have to pay for it.

I know how business works. I wasn't asking you. I was asking those who support this idea that business must be forced to pay a liveable wage. :-)

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 09-05-2014 at 09:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:58 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Could anybody explain to me where the extra money should come from to cover the wage increase?
You don't know anything, do you? Unicorns will come around every payday, with hundred dollar bills stuck on their horns.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:59 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
You don't know anything, do you? Unicorns will come around every payday, with hundred dollar bills stuck on their horns.
Crap. I've been on the look out for leprechauns this entire time.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:19 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
That is funny. My dad is 76 years old and would never work for a Union. Most of his friends are the same. Yes he is retired and yes he watches his income. Most Conservatives have the beliefe that they do not want the Government in their business. Big Government is bad. It cost too much. I would venture to guess that most of the nation feels this way. The Liberal Establishment has one big thing going for it, that is the fact that the Republican Establishment is not as Conservative as everyone thinks. People have no problem voting for a liberal because man within the Grand Old Party are RINO's anyway.

And both Democrats and RINOs work together to crush any alternative to their decades old lock on power.

Free trade with China, NAFTA, our marginal corporate tax rates and regulatory costs, virtual open borders and amnesty are the products of bipartisanship as are a devalued currency, massive government debt and a business environment that has international corporations running for the borders.

Why cheer a bipartisan deal that extends unemployment insurance in exchange for lower taxes?

That isn't compassion.

It is providing political cover for the people who created the problems.

If people can't find jobs, borrowing money from the nation where the jobs went to keep the long-term jobless pacified is insane.

If government cost 38% of GDP to operate, tax us at 38% today, not tomorrow.

I hate to say it, but I believe we haven't reached the pain threshold where ordinary citizens say enough is enough.

We are still being pacified with artificially low taxes, food stamps and free phones.

A big increase in the minimum wage would just be another costly band aid.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:34 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I've worked in retail and food service and honestly it's not an easy peasy job. It might not require a lot of complex skills or an abundance of brain cells, but it's strenuous on the body, plus it involves working with customers, who can be really a pain in the a$$ a lot of times. On top of that you are usually required to work nights, weekends, holidays etc.
I am required to do the same at my "cushy" office job. I am also required to memorize several hundred commands and syntaxes for an archaic processing system that handles approximately $1 trillion a day. So please excuse me if I don't really see your point. Work is work no matter what you do.

Quote:
Here's my math. Average McD's employee makes $7.62/hr (I saw on the news this morning). Lets say this person works 40 hours and then makes $304.80/week or $15,240/year (50 weeks). Taxes would be roughly $400 on this income, single. Expenses might look like this (I'm in Florida):

Rent/bills: $500/mos -$6000 for the year
Cell phone: $50/mos - $600 year
Health Insurance: $200/mos - $2400/yr
Car insurance: $50/mos - $600/yr
Clothes: $300/yr
Food: $100/mos - $300/yr
Gas: $80/mos - $960/yr
Car maintenance: $500/yr
Total: $11,660

This leaves roughly $280/mos for savings/entertainment. Maybe I'm missing some expenses, but these are mine. There is no way to raise a child on this income. Even if it's two earners, most of the expenses double and rent goes up for a bigger place. What if there is an emergency or you need to pay your insurance deductible, there is no thing left. Even upping this person's wage to just $12/hr would give them some room for emergencies/savings etc.
On what planet do you figure someone working at a minimum wage job beneath the poverty line should be able to afford a car or cell phone for that matter? Do you actually feel so entitled that you can no longer differentiate between a "necessity" and a "luxury" anymore?

Would it not be a lot brighter to take that extra $$ and put it towards learning a marketable skill that will help land one a better job and thereby allow them the luxuries they crave? Of course, that is a little more difficult than simply moaning and bitching about how hard one has it and how the rest of society somehow owes them something as a result.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:38 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
On what planet do you figure someone working at a minimum wage job beneath the poverty line should be able to afford a car or cell phone for that matter? Do you actually feel so entitled that you can no longer differentiate between a "necessity" and a "luxury" anymore?
Nobody will hire you if you don't have a phone number when you can be reached and since landlines cost just as much, cellphones are no longer a luxury, but rather a necessity. What else shouldn't fast food workers have? A car they need to drive to work? Lol

Old 09-05-2014, 10:41 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Nobody will hire you if you don't have a phone number when you can be reached and since landlines cost just as much, cellphones are no longer a luxury, but rather a necessity.
That's a load of B.S. Prior to the invention of cell phones, I knew people that lived in low-rent boarding houses that used friends and families phone numbers when looking for work. It seemed to work for them just fine (and they managed to get employed in better than minimum wage jobs, BTW).

Quote:
What else shouldn't fast food workers have? A car they need to drive to work? Lol
It's called "public transit". Look into it.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:50 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Here is what I do understand:

1. The majority of jobs added since the Great Recession are low wage McJobs that people can't survive on, and the numbers dependent on those jobs for full-time income is growing; and thus, income inequality is growing.

2. Education is extremely expensive, and not everyone has the chops to make through. And even if they do, there are not enough white collar jobs to support such a population.

3. There is no reason to believe that people on average are somehow differently motivated today than they were in the past; there is, however, good evidence that jobs and incomes in this nation look quite different than in the past.

4. If all society offers a growing segment of society is McJobs, then increasing numbers of people will either turn to government assistance that you and I pay for, or else they will starve.

5. Handouts are not the sustainable answer; finding some way to reintroduce enough decently-paying jobs in the face of automation and offshoring is the answer.

6. Pretending that nothing has structurally changed in global job markets since the 1950s and that everyone who doesn't make it like you or I did is just lazy is not productive and ignores the real problem.
- 1. Blame Democrats & Republicans for allowing their corporate partners to ship good paying jobs overseas & replace them with minimum wage jobs. Forget the party rhetoric, Democrats & Republicans are responsible for income inequality.

- 2. Books & tuition to for a 2 year degree from a community college for that low income person is paid in full by the Pell Grant. People can also choose trade schools where you can have a valuable skill in as little as 6 months. Not everyone has to go to Harvard.

- 3. Agreed. Instead of trying to fix what can't be fixed, let's eliminate the Democrat & Republican politicians that created this mess for the poor & working class.

- 4. Agreed again. The Democrats & Republicans don't care about the poor & middle classes. Still, you've got to understand that it's not just as simple as raising the minimum wage. Every time you raise the minimum wage you hurt more people than you help. Again, if you raise the minimum wage less people get hired. That means more unemployment & dependence on the system.

- 5. Agreed again. Let's stop defending Democrats & Republicans, and instead start voting in grassroots candidates who care about the people.

- 6. Agreed again. It's beating a dead horse, but the incentives Democrat & Republican politicians have created for corporations to export our jobs, the trade agreements they've entered us into, the entire concept of "globalization" that we've been sold works directly against the poor & middle classes of the United States. Vote these people out of office now. Green Party, Tea Party, Communist Party, I don't care who, ANYONE BUT DEMOCRATS & REPUBLICANS!

Old 09-05-2014, 10:53 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,222 times
Quote:
That's a load of B.S. Prior to the invention of cell phones, I knew people that lived in low-rent boarding houses that used friends and families phone numbers when looking for work. It seemed to work for them just fine (and they managed to get employed in better than minimum wage jobs, BTW).
That could've been true prior to the invention of cellphone but not in 2014. Try again.

Quote:
You do realize that public transit is not always available, don't you?

I mean, I feel really sorry for you that after so many years in business you still have to do a job requiring you to memorize commands and punch them into an archaic, as you said yourself, billing system, and wish you could do something more creative and fun.
One could argue though, that it was your choice not to get education and be stuck in a dead end job, you should however look into ways of improving your own position, maybe talk to your employer about being retrained, rather than simply push down those that are working other jobs. Crabs in a bucket. I get this vibe from a lot of posters here, they hate their jobs and don't have the balls to demand more money so instead they take it out on those that do. Crabs in a bucket.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:55 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:

Don't need phones, don't need transport...??? WTF??

I don't often insult people on CD but I really want to insult you. I won't, but I want to. You talk like an ignorant child though.

You have such a myopic view on life you honestly think everyone can just jump on a subway and get to work "just like that" or something? Everywhere in the US? SERIOUSLY?

No. You can't be that stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies