Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 01:28 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Actually I didn't. I've never liked Wal-mart... but yes.. I understand what you are saying. But doesn't the government have some responsibility in this equation as well. Instead of making it easier for Wal-mart to buy those Chinese products and sell them so cheaply, perhaps, just maybe they should have taken the "Let's look out for our own manufacturing" position?
Absolutely, I have made that argument over and over. Those clamoring for higher wages point to Germany as an example but they don't want to discuss what Germany does to keep their manufacturing base that we refuse to do.

Both sides of the equation have positives and negatives but it's certainly a good example of how you can't have your cake and eat it to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 01:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Actually I didn't. I've never liked Wal-mart... but yes.. I understand what you are saying. But doesn't the government have some responsibility in this equation as well. Instead of making it easier for Wal-mart to buy those Chinese products and sell them so cheaply, perhaps, just maybe they should have taken the "Let's look out for our own manufacturing" position?
Yeah..welfare programs.
Don't make corporations pay to subsidize the poor into middle class lifestyles.
You want that for society then you pay higher taxes so the government can do it.

We are importing poor by the tens of millions.
You can't do that and then turn around and expect someone else to pay for their lifestyle here in the US.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:46 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,135 times
Our "manufacturing" position was destroyed when un***s made the cost of things made here unaffordable to the average person. They demanded wages higher than the market value, they got those wages, which in turn made our manufacturing lose to foreign competition. Even if we ended free trade, our manufacturing costs would still exceed what people could or would choose to purchase. Not unlike the silly arbitrary raise in minimum wage, those who would "win" would eventually lose because they would destroy the market that those businesses were in. In the end, all of those who earned more than their market value, eventually put themselves out of work because their neighbors who did earn their market value could no longer afford those products/services. Wages are not arbitrary and have a profound impact on business. People just will never be able to earn more than they are worth to the common man. Never.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:09 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Our "manufacturing" position was destroyed when un***s made the cost of things made here unaffordable to the average person. They demanded wages higher than the market value, they got those wages, which in turn made our manufacturing lose to foreign competition. Even if we ended free trade, our manufacturing costs would still exceed what people could or would choose to purchase. Not unlike the silly arbitrary raise in minimum wage, those who would "win" would eventually lose because they would destroy the market that those businesses were in. In the end, all of those who earned more than their market value, eventually put themselves out of work because their neighbors who did earn their market value could no longer afford those products/services. Wages are not arbitrary and have a profound impact on business. People just will never be able to earn more than they are worth to the common man. Never.
German unions make more than Americans and those German auto companies are the most profitable in the world and sold the most cars. Out of the most profitable car companies, only Ford is able to beat any German company. VW still made 5X as much profit as the next closet American competitor. Lol, but let's blame the unions.

1. VW
2. Toyota
3 Diamler
4. Ford
5. BMW

Old 09-06-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
German unions make more than Americans and those German auto companies are the most profitable in the world and sold the most cars. Out of the most profitable car companies, only Ford is able to beat any German company. VW still made 5X as much profit as the next closet American competitor. Lol, but let's blame the unions.

1. VW
2. Toyota
3 Diamler
4. Ford
5. BMW
Which is only a part of the story. Germany adds a 10% tariff to any car imported into Germany from outside the EU. They do this to protect their manufacturing base.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Which is only a part of the story. Germany adds a 10% tariff to any car imported into Germany from outside the EU. They do this to protect their manufacturing base.
So does the USA, but I don't think that's relevant. Unfortunately, I don't have time to dig up sales by country, but here are number of plants in the EU.

GM has 10 plants in the EU.
Ford has 16 EU plants.
Chrysler has at least 3 EU plants.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
So does the USA, but I don't think that's relevant.
2.5%

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't have time to dig up sales by country, but here are number of plants in the EU.

GM has 10 plants in the EU.
Ford has 16 EU plants.
Chrysler has at least 3 EU plants.
That would be a long ass drive to work for someone in Detroit.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:08 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
We'd all like a lower cost of living... but realistically it will be just like ObamaCare. Were we not told that medical costs would go down when everyone had OCare? Are medical costs going down? LOLOLOL Conservatives like plans that make fiscal sense... there's a difference. Tell me how to lower the cost of living for people without putting your hand in my pocket again and again. Convince me it can be done. (And don't give me the you rent and government is keeping you down story.) Tell us how you would lower the cost of living for all Americans........

That's easy, just allow the private sector to build homes at greater densities.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
2.5%
25% for trucks.

Quote:
That would be a long ass drive to work for someone in Detroit.
What does a Detroit worker have to do with how many cars are sold?

Both Germany and the USA have tariffs.
Both the EU and the USA have foreign auto mfg plants on their home turf - which bypasses the tariff issue.

German automakers still outsold and had more profitability than the US makers despite having a higher paid unionized workforce. So, contrary to another poster's claim, unions aren't the problem.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:25 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Why should you get $12.50 when a McDonald cook, sweating in a hot kitchen gets only $7.50?
McDonald's "cooks" don't sweat in a hot kitchen. Those places are air conditioned.

They aren't "cooks" either. What do they cook? Nothing! Most probably don't know the first thing about cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies