Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 06:20 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,596,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, I cannot afford it right now. I live with my parents for now. Economic situation.
Been there, done that. My condolences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 06:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Well, it was a hypothetical since I work from home with data and apart from e-mail and conference calls have no human interaction in regards to my business, but I would absolutely still take the money of any and all because I'm the pragmatic sort and far from an idealist.

You call it "sad", I call it "business acumen".

I suspect this is a viewpoint from our wildly differing backgrounds. Whatcha gonna do?
Call it what it is...that's what I'll do.

Background? Ha. I never had to move in with my parents. SMH

Old 09-16-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Background? Ha. I never had to move in with my parents. SMH
Cost saving measure; my college curriculum was about 75% online courses, so I only was physically there one year (rented an apartment-cheaper than a dorm) and finished the remaining years at home while I worked.

This, plus the scholarships and enormous financial aid package* combined with the GI bill is why I actually made money going to college.

Plus the fact is I'm from Long Island (very high cost of living) so there was no social stigma with my very common situation (attending college while living at home) so this made it all an easy choice.

We can't all be from Detoilet where you can claim an abandoned city block for yourself at age 11 or whatever.

*as a veteran only my own assets counted; not my familial assets, and they were very few at the time.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Cost saving measure; my college curriculum was about 75% online courses, so I only was physically there one year (rented an apartment-cheaper than a dorm) and finished the remaining years at home while I worked.

This, plus the scholarships and enormous financial aid package* combined with the GI bill is why I actually made money going to college.

Plus the fact is I'm from Long Island (very high cost of living) so there was no social stigma with my very common situation (attending college while living at home) so this made it all an easy choice.

We can't all be from Detoilet where you can claim an abandoned city block for yourself at age 11 or whatever.

*as a veteran only my own assets counted; not my familial assets, and they were very few at the time.
My parents worked hard and put me through college. Yours obviously didn't.

And that fact that you're not from "Detoilet" is irrelevant here. You may as well said that you're not from Cedar Rapids. So what? I don't care where you're from.

So again, one of us had to go home to his mommy to live. One of us didn't.

And all that nonsense about making money while going to college isn't impressing anyone. I didn't need to make money while i was in college. My ride was covered.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:44 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What does this have to do with anything?
I guess it proves that some people will always look to blame someone else for everything.

How did the kid get his hands on a loaded hand gun at home?

Old 09-16-2014, 08:45 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:

And that fact that you're not from "Detoilet" is irrelevant here. You may as well said that you're not from Cedar Rapids. So what? I don't care where you're from.

And all that nonsense about making money while going to college isn't impressing anyone. I didn't need to make money while i was in college. My ride was covered.
You parents worked hard? How about YOU work hard and stop depending on others for your free ride.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:47 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You parents worked hard? How about YOU work hard and stop depending on others for your free ride.
What makes you think DD doesn't pay his own way? If he went on an academics or athletic scholarship he certainly earned that.

Let's not get personal here.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
My father put me through college. What's wrong with that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What makes you think DD doesn't pay his own way? If he went on an academics or athletic scholarship he certainly earned that.

Let's not get personal here.
I didn't get a single scholarship. Again, my dad put me (and all of my siblings) through college.

I don't know why for some posters (not talking about you) that's all of a sudden a bad thing. I put my son through college too. That's what parents are supposed to do...or so i thought.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Not their responsibility, so I never asked them to.

Thankful for it as well, spoiled children make useless adults.

Quote:
Worked well for me. Them too since they were slowing down a bit even back then and needed the help around the house/property so it was a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Quote:
I prefer a profit to a revenue neutral assessment. Again, I'm not from Detoilet so I value silly things like "profits".

Old 09-16-2014, 11:44 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Prove he isn't working hard now. Can you prove for a fact that he isn't working hard now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies